Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2016 10:01:33 AM EDT
I have a Beretta storm CX4 carbine and getting a M9 or 92FS  . Been looking at stocking up on mags and just wondering about the two manufacturers. I realise it probably been asked a million times on here. So I'm asking a million and 1 ..  Thanks Wardawg
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure Mec Gar makes the factory mags for Beretta, as they do for a bunch of other manufacturers. Buy with confidence, they are great mags.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty sure Mec Gar makes the factory mags for Beretta, as they do for a bunch of other manufacturers. Buy with confidence, they are great mags.
View Quote

No, it has been many, many years since Mecgar made factory mags. MDS (which is owned by Beretta) makes factory mags.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you don't get Promag or some cheapy mags, you should be good to go. I always get MecGar for my guns. They make a lot of manufacturers mags and have always been good quality.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, I just really like the "PB" on the baseplate.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer factory mags too
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
We really need a sticky for this topic.  Here's what I've posted previously on the subject...my preference is the Mec-Gar 18 round magazine.

In comparison to my other pistols, I've acquired a somewhat diverse array of magazines for the Beretta 92, with three different manufacturers and five distinct variations represented in my collection.  I've posted on these magazines before, but now that I've been regularly shooting a Beretta 92 variant over the past two years, I've made some observations and developed some preferences.  I have no affiliation with any manufacturer.  I've now used the following magazines...

1.  Beretta OEM 15 round magazine
2.  Beretta OEM 15 round PVD sand resistant magazine
3.  Beretta OEM 17 round magazine
4.  Check-Mate Industries (CMI) 15 round magazine
5.  Mec-Gar 18 round magazine

Here are a few representatives...

(Pictured L-R:  CMI 15 rnd (2005), CMI 15 rnd (2014), Beretta OEM 15 rnd, Beretta OEM PVD 15 rnd, Beretta OEM 17 rnd, Mec-Gar 18 rnd, 'Original Equipment' 18 rnd)

Beretta OEM 15 Round Magazines (Standard and PVD Sand Resistant)

(Beretta OEM 15 Round Magazine - L, Beretta OEM PVD Sand Resistant 15 Round Magazine - R)

I acquired the standard 15 round magazines when I purchased a Beretta M9, and the 15 round PVD sand resistant magazines came standard with my Wilson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical.  Both magazines have proven reliable with both the M9 and the Brigadier Tactical.  The sand resistant magazines have some visually apparent differences, mainly the deletion of the cut-out for the original 92 heel release, the addition of a vertical debris channel, and the distinctive PVD coating.  The sand resistant magazines are marketed as the most reliable of the 92 magazines ("Choose the ultimate in reliability with the same magazine found on the battle-tested M9A1..."), and for those operating under extreme environmental conditions, perhaps they provide a measure of additional reliability.  Under range conditions, I've yet to notice a difference in performance, though the price premium for the PVD is considerable, and I was able to find the standard magazines for under $15 during the holidays.  Anyone would be well served by either of these magazines.

Beretta OEM 17 Round Magazines

(Beretta OEM 17 Round Magazine)
Beretta OEM 17 Round Magazines

Looking to stick with OEM magazines, I found the 17 round magazines on sale for under $20 each and purchased three. The 17 round magazine was originally created for the 90-Two and comes standard with the 92A1. I've found the 17 round magazines are a bit tougher to load than the 15 round magazines, but it is hardly an issue. While the 17 round magazines have proven functionally reliable, their durability leaves something to be desired. The issue is the plastic floor plate - all three of the magazines have developed cracks, some severe. One magazine in particular looks to be hanging on by a thread, and I'm confident that it is only a matter of time before it fails catastrophically. As such, these magazines have been relegated to practice use only.

(Floor plate damage)

The obvious answer is to replace the floor plates - unfortunately, a call to Beretta USA customer service revealed that Beretta doesn't sell the floor plate as a replacement part. With the M9A3 releasing soon and using 17 round magazines (see below), I decided to query Beretta USA again to see if they would offer the floor-plates as a spare part.  This time Beretta USA customer service sent me a link to Brownells.  I'd never thought to search for 'Bottom, Mag. C96 11RD, Plastic' - but this is the same part on the 17 round magazines.  I purchased three and replaced the cracked plates on my magazines.  At $7.99 a piece, this doesn't change my opinion of the 17 round magazine, particularly when the 18 round Mec-Gars are readily available for under $20 at CDNN (and frequently go on sale for even less).  In any case, here's the link...(apparently I must have bought the last three, as they are out of stock now...)BERETTA USA Bottom, Mag. C96 11RD, Plastic Mfr Part: C55057 $7.99

It is possible to source replacement floor plates from overseas (via Brignoli), and I've learned that there are a number of after market options, such as these units from Springer Precision and Shockbottle. However, the price of these floor plates exceeds the purchase price of the original magazines. Beretta indicates that these magazines will accept a standard floor plate, though that will look somewhat unusual. Considering this state of affairs, I do not recommend the 17 round Beretta magazines, as there are better options available for the money.

I note that Beretta has recently released a PVD coated sand resistant version of the 17 round magazine which will come standard with the M9A3. Based on my experience with the 17 rounders, I'm a bit concerned that this is the magazine Beretta has chosen for the M9A3. I've yet to acquire or test this new magazine, but when I examined a M9A3 prototype, it appeared to use the same baseplates.  I'm hopeful that this new magazine will be supported by spare parts, but I've seen no such indication (yet).

Check-Mate Industries (CMI) 15 round Magazines

(Check-Mate Industries 15 Round Magazine (2005) - L, Check-Mate Industries 15 Round Magazine (2014) - R)

The troubles of the issued Check-Mate Industries (CMI) magazines have been discussed at length elsewhere.  I originally acquired four (new in wrapper) of the military issue CMI magazines in a trade when I purchased my M9.  All were 2005 manufacture with the dry film coating.  Obviously considering my less than stellar experience with the plastic floor plate on the Beretta 17 round magazines, the metal floor plate on the CMI magazines is a welcome feature.  Unfortunately, these magazines often produce failures to lock back in both the M9 and the Brigadier Tactical.  CMI has a lifetime warranty on the magazines and quickly replaced the first two that had developed problems, as well as providing new springs and followers for the other two magazines.  The new magazines have not been much of an improvement, and also have occasional failures to lock back on an empty magazine.  As such, I've also relegated the CMI magazines to range use only.  While I was pleased with CMI's customer service, there are better options.

Mec-Gar 18 Round Magazines

(Mec-Gar 18 Round Magazine - L, 18 Round 'Original Equipment' Magazine - R)

The Mec-Gar magazines are highly recommended (endorsed by industry experts such as Ernest Langdon and Bill Wilson), and in my own experience this is the best Beretta 92 magazine available. It has the most capacity of any of the standard sized magazines, yet the 18 rounder is easy to load and seat (even when loaded to capacity). I've dropped these magazines on concrete countless times, and I've seen no indication of damage. These magazines have proven functionally reliable and durable. A little bit of searching on the internet will reveal these magazines are available from a number of sources for under $20.

(Mec-Gar 18 Round Magazine - L, 18 Round 'Original Equipment' Magazine - R)

I've discovered two versions of this magazine, both available from CDNN. Aside from the manufacturer markings, the magazines appear identical. One is listed as a Mec-Gar Magazine, and Mec-Gar is engraved on both the front of the magazine and on the side. The other is listed simply as 'Original Equipment', but is not engraved Mec-Gar (though both magazines are marked 'Made in Italy' and 'M9' in identical fonts). Those markings appear to account for the $9 price difference on CDNN, as in all other ways these magazines appear identical.

The 18 round Mec-Gar is my preferred magazine for carry and practice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Great info
thanks for taking the time to report.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I am about to buy a bunch of the Mec-Gar 20rnd magazines for my M9 and M9A1.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:48:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the Mec-Gar 18s exclusively, and have had a flawless experience. Great mags.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the mecgar 18 and 20 Rd mags.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I regulated all my old mags to range duty and carry with Mecgar 18rd magazines.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I understand this is a bit of a necro-bump, but I wanted to put this out for folks' consideration.

I'm a huge fan of the Mec-Gar AFC magazines, both for the Beretta and for my CZ's.  Note that the AFC's are available in a "standard" and a "+2" configuration.  In each case, the magazine body is the same, the spring is the same, the follower is the same.  The difference is the base pad.

Here's the kicker - Mec-Gar sells the "+2" base pads separately, but they do not sell the "standard" base pads separately.  Why does this matter?  Well, for starters, I bought 5 of the "+2" magazines for my CZ's, only to find that they didn't fit in the box for USPSA Production on my CZ 75 Shadow.  I ended up buying another 5 "standard" magazines for competition.  

From here on out, when I'm buying magazines, I'm buying the standard capacity (normally $5 cheaper) and then the "+2" baseplate ($10).  I'll pay an extra $5 for the versatility.  In my CZ's, I carry the standard capacity but have a "+2" in reserve.

Just wanted to let folks know you can convert them easily one way, but not the other...
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the mecgar 18 and 20 Rd mags.
View Quote

This is all I buy.  Never had a problem with them.  I like factory with the exception of the 17 rounders and the cheaper floorplates they are using now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Either will work. But I tend to buy MecGar and get the eighteen rounders.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#15]
In my experience, my factory 15 rd magazines for my 92 don't hold the slide back well. All of the 17 rd Mec Gar mags that I own are flawless and hold the slide back every time. I do know that the 92A1 ships with 3 Mec Gar (but Beretta stamped) magazines.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a variety of PB's (15, 17, 20, &30) and some MecGar 20's. Based on my limited and unscientific "testing" (use in IDPA-style shooting) they seem interchangeable in terms of function. The PB feel to be heavier-gauge steel than the MecGar, and I think the spring wire is typically thicker on PB than MecGar. Seem to function the same though.

The only "advice" I have is based on my personal preference….. If you are going to use the 20's as spare mags to carry (like in your pocket rather than in the gun) I'd get the PB 20s. Yes, they are much longer than the MecGar 20's, but they are slicker (the MecGar's fat baseplate get's hung-up in my pocket) and the spring seems stronger. This is just a guess, but I think the springs in the PB 20's may be stronger for longer than the MecGar.

Again, this is personal preference.

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In my experience, my factory 15 rd magazines for my 92 don't hold the slide back well. All of the 17 rd Mec Gar mags that I own are flawless and hold the slide back every time. I do know that the 92A1 ships with 3 Mec Gar (but Beretta stamped) magazines.
View Quote

I concur that the 15 round magazines can exhibit problems holding the slide back.  However, the 17 round magazines that come with the M9A3, 90-TWO and 92A1 are not Mec-Gar magazines.  In my experience (posted above) the 17 round OEM Beretta magazines have durability issues compared to the 18 round Mec-Gar Anti-Friction magazines.  I recommend the Mec-Gar magazines.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We really need a sticky for this topic.
View Quote

Awesome write-up and I concur.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Nobody's really mentioned it, but I like the windows on the Mec-Gars.  On the Berettas I have, the holes only go down one side, counting every other round.  The Mec-Gars go down both sides like a Glock magazine.

The Mec-Gars seem to be more durable and have a better finish, but I can't really tell for sure.  I have the 18 and 20s, and Beretta 17s.  I like the 20s for the range, but the floor plates seem weak, so I stock up on the 18s as well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you for the fantastic magazine information.

On the beretta forum I get hammered for describing the weaknesses of the plastic floor plates.
And the fact that say,
If you replace the plastic base plates on those mags that came with your Brig Tac with metal one, they don't guarantee to lock in.
The tolerance of th new mag fit is zero.

Any ways,
Issued an M9 around 87,
Bought my first 92 FS a few years later.

My preferred magazines are the factory 15 rounders.
Old enough to have metal baseplates, but new enough to not have the heel hole for a 92s mag release.

I prefer the twenty round men gars to the factory 20s.

And of course for thirty rounders go factory.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer MecGar for my Beretta and CZ. Excellent mags for very reasonable prices.

The original 17 round mags that came with my 92A1 have also held up just fine and I also bought 2 spares because they were cheap. No complaints there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I love my MecGars, i have 20's and 18's, totally flawless mags, you will be happy with them.....first post in a loooooooong time.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top