Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 11:49:19 PM EDT
Is the PX4 superior to the 92?  It's lighter, softer shooting, easier to convert to decocker only, etc.  After shooting both back to back my opinion is that the PX4 is better, but I was wondering what you all think.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't really think so. Parts availability and aftermarket support go a long way to make up for any percieved inadequacies...
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
While the PX4s I've owned have been fine pistols, I much prefer the 92 series. The silky-smooth action, nice trigger, accuracy and unfailing reliability of the 92 has made it my favorite handgun by far. I've never had a bad one, and I've owned a bunch over the years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While the PX4s I've owned have been fine pistols, I much prefer the 92 series.
View Quote

me too.  I sold my PX4 after one range trip.  It's a blocky pig.  I'll never sell my 92.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The PX4 does nothing for me. Totally solid guns but in a polymer frame pistol (even if you prefer something with an exposed hammer) there are better options available in my opinion.

The 92 is in a whole different class as far as I am concerned. For the price its hard to come up with a 'nicer' firearm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my 92 more than my PX4. Something about a metal framed pistol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the PX4 is easier to shoot well, carries much more easily, more fun, and looks better.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the 92 is better.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
For me, I prefer the 92. You can replace/exchange so many things on the pistol- springs, hammers,triggers,barrels,etc., that are so much cheaper and easier compared to the PX4. The 92 is such a timeless pistol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
92, no question. Reliable, accurate and proven.

Now this seems like an apples-to-oranges comparison to me. But if one were comparing the 92 to, say... The Beretta/Stoeger Cougar, then we've got more of an apples-to-apples competition, as they are both alloy-framed, hammer-fired pistols designed by Italians.

The rotating barrel is a bit of a gimmick and effectively prevents the use of a suppressor, but it works, and it works well. It seems to require more lubrication than some other pistols I've handled, but otherwise, it has a fairly low bore axis for a hammer-fired automatic, and the recoil is middling. These things also translate to the PX4, but with its lighter weight, it has a bit more felt recoil, and its trigger is worse than the 92 or the Cougar.

The Cougar is also built like a tank since it was designed around the .40, and adapted for 9mm. While hefty for a gun of its size, it balances well, maintains accuracy close to that of the 92, and true to its namesake, kicks like a pussycat. Not to mention, it's affordable and can be easily converted from FS to G with no gunsmithing.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Get both. Seriously though, I love my M9 but the PX4 gets shot more. It is softer shooting, very accurate and the trigger is not bad. For what they sell for I think it is worth having one in the collection. I picked my PX4 9mm full size up used for $450 and it was like new. I recently bought an Ares Tactical kydex shoulder holster for it and installed a set of Trijicon night sights. All in I think I have spent about $650 and have a great pistol, five mags, night sights, an IWB holster and shoulder holster.
The down side is there isn't much in the way of sight options or much aftermarket support. Holsters are not hard to find for it. KT Mech, Alien Gear and Ares Tactical all make holsters for the PX4.

I am currently on the hunt for a PX4 Compact.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been shooting M9s since we traded in our 45s for them in ranger battalion back in the 80s.
I bought my first 92FS back in 1990.

It is an accurate, reliable platform.
In G mode, with a Vertec or brig slide so you can change the front sights, and a d spring and action tune it is my favorite platform.
But try and find one out of the box like that.

I got my first Glock in 94.

I only recently started getting PX4s.

They are accurate and reliable and soft shooting.

It is a good compromise between an all metal hammer fired gun and a striker fired polymer gun.
But it ends up being just that, a compromise.
It is a great compromise,
But some things I like the Glock better for and some things I like the 92 better for.

The PX4 is not my first choice for any of those.

What they really needed is a cougar L compact sized gun that takes 92 magazines, or a 92 compact with a sorter barrel/ slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top