Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2016 12:09:16 AM EDT
What are you thoughts on this gun?
Is it a quality gun?
Looks kinda big for carry.  Or big for a .380.  is it nice to shoot?  
My Daughter has a walther pk380.  I would like to get rid of it and get something better.

Thanks for any input
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#1]
the Beretta 84 is a fine gun.  

It is a bit big for a .380...but that makes for an easier shooting gun.  

It is a blowback operated gun...so the recoil spring is a bit tougher to absorb the recoil of the slide...some people do not like retracting the slide on a Beretta 84/85 series.  As a result Beretta also offered a 86 model with a tip up barrel that allowed someone to load the pistol without having to retract the slide.

They also made a slim line version with a single stack mag...the Beretta 85.  I have two of these...love them.  They fit my hand like a glove.  Easy to shoot very well....and very reliable gins.

which model 84???   There are a number of models 84, 84B, 84BB, 84F, 84FS

I know a lot of people will comment about the weight versus size and caliber of the gun.  There are 9mm's that are smaller than the Beretta 84 such as the Glock 26, etc...when I had my first Beretta 85's I sold them for that reason...shifted to a Glock.  That being said...the Beretta feels great in the hand...which is why I went back to the Beretta 85F.  It is not my main carry gun....but I would not hesitate to carry it as long as you use a good self defense round with it.  Mine frequently pulls night stand duty

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#2]
My ex wife purchased an 84 for me about 18-20 years ago as a gift. First gift she really ever bought me and it was outside our budget at the time.

I carried it off and on for a couple of years and it eventually got retired.

I got it coated with Black-T along with 6-8 magazines by the late Walter Birdsong in 2001-2002 and to this day it looks brand new.

Outstanding shooter, fits hand, 100% reliable.

Though I prefer to carry .40 or .45 caliber guns it does duty in the house with a dutch load of Gold Dot HP and FMJ

Indiana State Police issued it as a back up/ off duty gun for a long time so I occasionally see one in a Detective holster
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's an 84 and an 85 together.  Great pistols, completely reliable and a pleasure to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I an not sure what all the letters after the number means.
I think the tip up barrel would be great.  But the 84 looks to be the most common.  So cheaper.

Here's what I was looking at
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538547089
or
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538156976

Now that I look at the pictures again I have another question.  Is the front sight small like on the 92S?  I had one of those and liked the gun but the sights where pretty much useless.
thanks again
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#5]

LOVE MINE!

Very soft shooting pistol. 13rds on tap in no joke either. Easy to carry and conceal. Bug difference between the Model 84 and lets say the LCP. You actually enjoy shooting the Moe 84 and can hit what you aim at.

The Micro .380s are belly guns and a bit of a bitch with recoil. The Model 84, CZ 83, Glock 42, Walther PP/PPK/ and PPK/S, etc... are fantastic little .380 CCW guns.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I no longer own it, but it was a damn fine pistol. I just had no use for .380. It was nickel/wood grips & a beautiful gun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a fair ballpark price for an 85F (like the one pictured above) with box and 2 mags. Handled a very nice used one at a LGS, but they want $560 for it.  Seems kind of high, but then I know little to nothing about these. Seems like a great mate for the 92FS.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a great pistol. Sure there are better options for concealed carry in terms of caliber/size ratio. Outside of that the Beretta gives up nothing to any other gun in terms of reliability, quality, comfort, beauty, and just plain old fun to shoot. Mec-Gar mags are reliable and readily available at a reasonable price. Mine is an Israeli police surplus that I got at a great price from Coles on Gunbroke. Gave it a good cleaning and found it was a real jewel with old-world bluing and butter smooth action.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Browning version and just ordered some new grips for it. I like it a lot. It is a little big and heavy for a carry gun, but it is nice to have 13 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
warkittens
Do you have any pic or your 84?
I am considering one from CDI.  I was looking at a 84BB.  I like the vertical line cut on the front and back strap.  But still unsure.
How is the slide and frame fit?
Is the frame steel or aluminium?
Is their complete disassemble?  I might cerakote the one I end up getting.
How does it compare to the CZ83?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
A small number of new production Beretta 81's just cam e into the US.  This is the same gun as the 84 but it is chambered in 32 ACP.  I just picked one up from Keely Arms.  There are less than 500 in the US.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
warkittens
Do you have any pic or your 84?
I am considering one from CDI.  I was looking at a 84BB.  I like the vertical line cut on the front and back strap.  But still unsure.
How is the slide and frame fit? As good as or better than any auto loader in my collection.
Is the frame steel or aluminium? Aluminum.
Is their complete disassemble?  I might cerakote the one I end up getting. One of the few pistols I've never completely disassembled.
How does it compare to the CZ83? Can't say; I've never had the pleasure of owning a CZ83.
View Quote

A couple from when I first unboxed it prior to cleaning.

And one pic taken next to my Bulgarian Makarov for size comparison.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#13]
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That looks awesome to me.
I was looking at the ones under $300.
I am going to bet that one was well over that.
thanks for posting
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That looks awesome to me.
I was looking at the ones under $300.
I am going to bet that one was well over that.
thanks for posting
View Quote

It was either $269 or $279. It was definitely under $300. IIRC it was ~$330 to my hand after shipping and transfer. When I bought mine there were 10+ pages of 84s on Cole's gunbroker page. I remember I spent 2-3 hours comparing the pics to choose the one I eventually bought. I haven't been on Cole's Gunbroker page lately (I fear I'll buy more Berettas or BHPs).
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Is the only difference between the F and BB the squared off trigger guard?
thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/U6vb0Wt.jpg

LOVE MINE!

Very soft shooting pistol. 13rds on tap in no joke either. Easy to carry and conceal. Bug difference between the Model 84 and lets say the LCP. You actually enjoy shooting the Moe 84 and can hit what you aim at.

The Micro .380s are belly guns and a bit of a bitch with recoil. The Model 84, CZ 83, Glock 42, Walther PP/PPK/ and PPK/S, etc... are fantastic little .380 CCW guns.
View Quote

Big +1 to this post. I love my little 84. All of the females that have shot it declared it their favorite of the pistols that I took to the range. It feels fantastic in the hand like all of the older model Berettas do and really is a pleasure to shoot. Amazingly accurate for it's size too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Thought I'd post a couple more comparative photos for those not familiar with these great pistols.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Hard to rack and mistake buying it for the wife. Don't buy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Do all these have the safety/de-cocker?
I did bid on a 84BB.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Not sure about the bb but I know the F and FS have safety/decocker.

Some say the 84/85 are harsh because of the blowback system.
My daughter (13yrs old) does not like the 84. Yet she is just fine with my Glock 21.

I bought a surplus 84F a while back for $329. It was pretty much pristine. I just added wood grips.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is my 84B. The B doesn't have the decocker, just the safety. But you can put the safety on, whether the hammer is cocked or not. My favorite .380 ACP to shoot. Accurate, comfortable, and dead sexy.

I bought it recently. It was basically new. The date code says it was made in 1982. It came with 4 magazines (1 factory, 3 of unknown make) and 2 additional sets of grip panels (black and white plastic.)

I got it for $400 and yes, I'm humble bragging.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#22]
very nice
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
just bought an 84BB from LGS consignment counter, I have always wanted one of these or the Browning variant, not sure why.  Maybe I am getting old and remember when these were still a top choice in concealed carry although many states still didn't have CCW.  They also have a charm and quality about them you rarely see anymore.

Condition was 95% or better with wood grips that had the beretta medallion.  Imported marked by CAI, were these ex-Israeli guns?  Condition is way better than most any Israeli LE/Military trade in I have seen.

Can't wait to try it out.  Paid $275 and once the current crop of surplus guns dries up, I am sure I will come out ahead.  

BTW, the newest models are $700 plus and the finish and grips aren't nearly as nice as the one I bought.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Ive been interested in these for a while now. Can the trigger be improved the same way a 92 can? Can they be carried cocked and locked safely?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's my addition

Just got it.
CDI from gunbroker.  Had a mix up.  The gun I won got sold to someone else.  They upgraded my order for the error.
I cane out pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's my addition
<a href="http://s495.photobucket.com/user/wscheck/media/beretta%2084-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr316/wscheck/beretta%2084-1.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s495.photobucket.com/user/wscheck/media/beretta%2084-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr316/wscheck/beretta%2084-2.jpg</a>
Just got it.
CDI from gunbroker.  Had a mix up.  The gun I won got sold to someone else.  They upgraded my order for the error.
I cane out pretty well.
View Quote

That's a very pretty 84BB. Congratulations.

On the right side at the front of the trigger guard, there should be a date code stamp so you can figure out when it was made.

Link to Date Code Chart
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where did you guys find the wood grips for these?
View Quote

Mine came with the gun.

But they are available from Beretta and other sources. Search Google for "Beretta Cheetah wood grips"

Good hunting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quick question...Can the safety be engaged with the hammer down?

ie, you decock, then engage the safety.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quick question...Can the safety be engaged with the hammer down?

ie, you decock, then engage the safety.
View Quote

On my 84B, yes. I don't know about the F or FS models.

Edit for clarity: You have to manually de-cock the hammer by pulling the trigger and controlling the hammer. This is kind of a challenge since the hammer spur is small.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#31]
My BB is a safety only no decocker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top