Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2015 1:25:36 PM EDT
So either my Google-Fu is lacking, or I'm not seeing that Beretta sells .40 cal top ends...Am I wrong on this, 'cause I'd like one?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So either my Google-Fu is lacking, or I'm not seeing that Beretta sells .40 cal top ends...Am I wrong on this, 'cause I'd like one?
View Quote

If you’re asking if Beretta sells a kit to do this then the answer is no, not for many years.  If you’re just asking if you can put a .40 S&W (Beretta 96) top end on a 9mm (Beretta 92) frame then the answer is probably.  Most folks seem to prefer using a 96 frame as a base for conversion guns like this but people report success either way.  Just FYI, the 96 frame has a slightly different feed ramp.

When I was looking into building a flexible fuel pistol I ended up going with a Sig P239 in .40 as the base gun but the Beretta would have been my second choice.  Good luck if you decide to proceed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you’re asking if Beretta sells a kit to do this then the answer is no, not for many years.  If you’re just asking if you can put a .40 S&W (Beretta 96) top end on a 9mm (Beretta 92) frame then the answer is probably.  Most folks seem to prefer using a 96 frame as a base for conversion guns like this but people report success either way.  Just FYI, the 96 frame has a slightly different feed ramp.

When I was looking into building a flexible fuel pistol I ended up going with a Sig P239 in .40 as the base gun but the Beretta would have been my second choice.  Good luck if you decide to proceed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly the Glocks are the more flexible for multi caliber, but I like the Beretta better.  I'm one of those rare individuals who find the Beretta ergo's just perfect for me.  I'm not ruling out the Glock, probably get one sooner rather than later.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Clearly the Glocks are the more flexible for multi caliber, but I like the Beretta better.  I'm one of those rare individuals who find the Beretta ergo's just perfect for me.  I'm not ruling out the Glock, probably get one sooner rather than later.  
View Quote

With regard to the minimum amount of “stuff” required to do a conversion, I’m not sure that’s really true.  From what I gathered on line Glocks often require a complete top end change, possibly an ejector swap and correct caliber mags.  Not always, but often.   To change from .40 to 9mm (or .357 Sig) in my P239 requires nothing but a barrel swap.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

With regard to the minimum amount of “stuff” required to do a conversion, I’m not sure that’s really true.  From what I gathered on line Glocks often require a complete top end change, possibly an ejector swap and correct caliber mags.  Not always, but often.   To change from .40 to 9mm (or .357 Sig) in my P239 requires nothing but a barrel swap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So from .40 to .357 the G22/23 just needs a barrel.  From .40 to 9mm sometimes its just a barrel.  Sometimes it's a barrel, recoil spring, and magazine; you just have to try it out and see how it works. But the Glock .40 to 9mm barrels work way better than they have any right to.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So from .40 to .357 the G22/23 just needs a barrel.  From .40 to 9mm sometimes its just a barrel.  Sometimes it's a barrel, recoil spring, and magazine; you just have to try it out and see how it works. But the Glock .40 to 9mm barrels work way better than they have any right to.
View Quote

I'm not aware of any gun just changing the bbl for a 9mm to a .40 conversion (or vice versa). The breech face is different from 9mm to .40 & there's obvious size differences. Certainly the recoil is hugely different, requiring a different recoil spring.

No slam intended here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not aware of any gun just changing the bbl for a 9mm to a .40 conversion (or vice versa). The breech face is different from 9mm to .40 & there's obvious size differences. Certainly the recoil is hugely different, requiring a different recoil spring.

No slam intended here.
View Quote

You can't swap a .40 barrel into a 9mm slide but going from .40 to 9mm is another story.  My Sig P239 .40 works fine and I change nothing but the barrel.  I'm not the only one doing this either, there are a few folks over on the Sig forum doing the same thing.  To date, I've fired 200 .40 S&W (165 and 180 grain), 100 .357 Sig (124 grain) and 1200 9mm (115, 124 and 147 grain) without a single failure to feed, fire and eject.  All rounds fed from the .40 mags.

Here's a thread on the subject but a Google search will turn up others.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9110031783
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No slam intended here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No slam intended here.
Get busy with your Google-Fu and look up "Glock .40 to 9mm barrel", and prepare to have your mind blown because they straight up work!!

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I you have a 92 you will need slide barrel and mags to change to 40   if you have a 96 all you need is a barrel and mags

beretta forum and ebay are two good places to find what you need
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
you can convert at .40 96 to 9 mm by just dropping in a 9mm barrel and using a 92 magazine, but I don't think you can go the other way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I was surprised to find this out a few months ago. I have two 96A1's and I purchased two 92 barrels and mag's. Both run perfect and accurate with 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#11]
CDNN sold , many years ago, complete OEM Beretta .40 slides and barrels... I do suggest, anyone considering this swap .... should install a heavier recoil spring suitable for the .40 S&W.... do not use the 9MM recoil spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top