Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2015 3:11:51 PM EDT
Just curious if you guys do and what set ups you like, including over garment.  

I'm thinking about trying it with my M9 or my M&P .45 for the winter.  But I always feel like all the OWB holsters I see in the stores make the gun stick out really far.  But I know there are other holsters out there.......
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just curious if you guys do and what set ups you like, including over garment.  

I'm thinking about trying it with my M9 or my M&P .45 for the winter.  But I always feel like all the OWB holsters I see in the stores make the gun stick out really far.  But I know there are other holsters out there.......
View Quote

shoulder FTMFW
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a dsg alpha holster that keeps it tight. Id trust RCS to make a good one too
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've concealed mine with a Bladetech holster and a baggy button down fishing type shirt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Galco Concealable under a jacket.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been using Berettas iwb hybrid holster. I just ordered blackhawk serpa for it for the winter.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Giving me some good ideas.  I'll check them out......  I feel like the Blackhawk Serpa might make it stick out a bit more than I want though...  I could be wrong about that.  It does seem like some of the kydex ones keep it closer to the body......  Possibly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Wilson Tactical Practical, does fine under a button up
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wilson Tactical Practical, does fine under a button up
View Quote

What holster do you use?

Also, how do you guys like best to carry an extra mag?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
There are quite a few choices out there from a lot of great makers.  To keep the profile down on a large handgun, or any of them really, you want a holster that pulls the gun into you.  That pretty much means a good leather holster, or one the Kydex ones that are similar.  The BT and others like it sit too far out, IMO.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, that's how I feel about it too, but wasn't sure what are the ones that keep it closer to your body.  I have a Galco thumb break and I really don't think it holds it that close to your body.  But it's one that the leather doesn't go down to the bottom of the gun.  Or I should say to the muzzle.  It's lets a bunch of the muzzle hang out by itself.  So that might be why.....
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
dsg alpha double mag pouch.

btw the holsters sweat shield keeps the safety on or off
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Which Galco is that?  I have used Galco, DeSantis, and custom makers, and they have all been good (not all for the 92 either).  Every one I have completely covers the slide. Heck, you could go look at Wilson too (not sure who is making theirs).
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't remember what it's called.  Maybe the fletch?  I'd have to look at their website.....  But it's got a thumb break and only covers the trigger guard.  It's for a 1911 and it just always kind of sagged when I used it.  Now that MIGHT be more of the belts I was using.  I don't have a 1911 at present but I did something with my HiPower in it the other day where I ran the belt through the loops and on the OUTSIDE  of the holster and it kept it a lot tighter to the body.    

That might be one way to deal with keeping it close to the body with a holster that allows you to run your belt that way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I do pretty much everyday. I use two different leather, pancake type holsters.

I carry crossdraw and the guns in recent years that I've carried can be a little hard to find a holster for. Especially crossdraw holsters that aren't made by some small shop for $200+. Now before I switched back to a Beretta 92 variant a few months ago. I carried a CZ-75 Phantom for 3 years or so. I love that gun. But again, finding a holster I wanted to be able to use OWB (leather and for crossdraw) is challenging. I could never find one made specifically for the the Phantom. So I compared the Phantom's dimensions. It's pretty close to the full sized Glock 20 and the full sized .45 Glocks. The holster worked easily for the Phantom. And when I switched to my current EDC, my Beretta Brig Tac. I was happy to see the Brig Tac with rail and brigadier slide fit just fine. I use a Bianchi 7 Shadow 2 holster: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504585/bianchi-7-shadow-2-holster-glock-20-21-s-and-w-m-and-p-leather?cm_mmc=S_Spop-Email-_-Service_Emails-_-ShippingConf-_-ProductLink It can be used either strongside, or crossdraw. And it hugs the body pretty well.

I also wanted to be able to carry my Brig Tac with a light sometimes. Once again, crossdraw, brig slide, light and leather. Not an easy find. I settled and hoped that a Desantis Tac-Lite holster for a Glock l7 would work. Believe me, it was a very tight fit and still is a little tight. Getting the thumb break over the end of the gun was a chore. But I've been breaking it in the last couple weeks and it will work just fine. http://www.desantisholster.com/THE-TAC-LITE Holster is a little small for the gun and light combo. But given a little more time. It will be pretty close to perfect for me.

As long as you don't get too crazy. You can probably find a holster for exactly like a M9/92 or M&P. That Bianchi above is made specifically for the Glock and MP.

As for cover garments. Sometimes I open carry. Where I live it's not big deal at all. I don't OC all the time. If I took small family members to a Chuck-E-Cheese type place. With a bunch of kids running around. And a bunch of lemming type parents. I'd definitely conceal as to not make a scene. But anyway, for concealing it depends on what I'm wearing. If it's not really cold out and I just wearing normal clothes. Jeans and similar. A simple thing like a baseball jersey works fine. Or if it's cold, but not freezing. A simple vest (not some obvious photographer/tactical vest) like a fleece or water resistant type vest works great. As does a normal jacket of any kind. A simple buttoned/unbuttoned over shirt works great too. If you're wanting a more dressier look. But you're not wearing a suit. A dress suit jacket, sport coat, etc and some jeans work great. Think Raylan Givens from Justified.

The trick is to make sure the holster holds the gun to your body pretty close and that your cover garment isn't too small and tight. I have a friend. Super nice guy and smart too. But he carried a Glock l7 or similar in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Wore a jacket or whatever to cover it. Maybe it wasn't super obvious to everyone what he had on his hip. But it looked very obvious that something was there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I never thought about a baseball or football jersey.   That's a great idea.  I've been wanting to get a sportcoat for church to hide an OWB gun and be dressed up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to use a Simply Rugged owb quite often. I've switched to a JM Custom AIWB and been pretty smitten with it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm CCWing an M9 for work in Saudi right now... Simply Rugged is what I went with, specifically the CID model and held up with a Wilderness 5 stitch reinforced belt. Works great, not too expensive, and hides very, very well. A poster here suggested them for my 92A1 and I ended up with an M9 holster too! I keep a spare mag on my belt at about the 7 O'clock.

For reference I wear khakis for work with a dockers button down short sleeve. I'm 5'9, 180 lbs, and 32" waist.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm CCWing an M9 for work in Saudi right now... Simply Rugged is what I went with, specifically the CID model and held up with a Wilderness 5 stitch reinforced belt. Works great, not too expensive, and hides very, very well. A poster here suggested them for my 92A1 and I ended up with an M9 holster too! I keep a spare mag on my belt at about the 7 O'clock.

For reference I wear khakis for work with a dockers button down short sleeve. I'm 5'9, 180 lbs, and 32" waist.
View Quote

I think I just got a man crush.   LOL.  I used to weigh almost that before lyme disease.  But my midsection was bigger than that though.  hehehehehe

7 oclock seems like a weird place for a mag.  Are you driving ever?  Seems like it would be a pain in the back.    But it also probably hides better than say 9 oclock.  I've yet to actually care spare ammo anywhere other than my front pocket.  Right side for revolvers and left side for autos.......  But it's not really the best way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think I just got a man crush.   LOL.  I used to weigh almost that before lyme disease.  But my midsection was bigger than that though.  hehehehehe

7 oclock seems like a weird place for a mag.  Are you driving ever?  Seems like it would be a pain in the back.    But it also probably hides better than say 9 oclock.  I've yet to actually care spare ammo anywhere other than my front pocket.  Right side for revolvers and left side for autos.......  But it's not really the best way to do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spend most of my time driving, I usually just move the mag a little forward and its pretty comfortable. I have a ton of shit in my pockets for work so putting it there isn't an option.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one of these for carrying my Glock 22 (.40 cal).

http://www.holsterama.com/leather-pancake-holster-open-top/

You really can't beat a good leather pancake holster.
I've done the Kydex thing, and ALL Kydex holsters (OWB) I've tried "stick out" way more than leather holsters.

The leather will conform to YOUR body, and the "hot spots," that never go away with Kydex, just melt away as the leather conforms to you.

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I spend most of my time driving, I usually just move the mag a little forward and its pretty comfortable. I have a ton of shit in my pockets for work so putting it there isn't an option.
<a href="http://s296.photobucket.com/user/thomasangelini/media/workgun_zpsvqqkzu4q.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm187/thomasangelini/workgun_zpsvqqkzu4q.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s296.photobucket.com/user/thomasangelini/media/workgun_zpsvqqkzu4q.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm187/thomasangelini/workgun_zpsvqqkzu4q.jpg</a>

That's a great holster.  I like that one.  I like the grips screws too.    That gun has seen some use.  Hang tough and stay safe.  And thanks for the pics.  I'm gonna check those out.  

And WEG, that's a beautiful holster too!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 2:55:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Haha I never even noticed the hex and slotted screw mismatch. Saudi doesn't allow too many new guns or parts so we have to make do. My work rifle still has a PEQ2, we've been using the -15 pretty much worldwide for years now.

My partner is using a Safariland Pancake and it conceals pretty well too. It has a thumb break too if your wanting retention.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a DeSantis for my 92A1. I usually put a jacket or sweatshirt over and have no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top