Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2015 11:48:38 PM EDT
I bought a pristine 21a at the gunshow last weekend with box and papers. It was sort of an impulse buy because I was actually looking for a .32 tomcat, but holding the little .22 version just felt so good(even if it is a 2 finger hold), not to mention that the blueing just stood out. So yeah, I'm happy with my purchase.
I'm STILL looking for a stainless tomcat, though. Ok, now for the questions :
1.How many of you guys use the flip-up bbl feature? I'm afraid of using it too much and getting a loose hinge. This one still has a tight hinge and slide fit.
2. My pistol's mag has no Beretta markings on it anywhere. Do all Beretta mags come marked? Mine was manufactured in '91. It feeds well and slides/locks/drops very smoothly.
3. Where to find a nice pocket holster. All the ones I've found online are discontinued.
Thanks all,
                       Ray
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got little to add except, I love my Tomcat and Bobcat. My Bobcat is a .25.
They just kick ass. I have owned them for years, trouble free. I had to buy a couple safety springs from Brownells a while back when I decided to tear em down.
Such great pistols to shoot and ccw. I can't believe the expensive used prices on these I have seen local and on GB.
Congrats on your find.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]
They're great little pistols.  I have a stainless 21A that I'm going to send off to Accurate Ordnance to have it threaded for my cans.  Then add a set of Crimson Trace grips and have a fun little critter getter.  The sights on them suck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:12:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got little to add except, I love my Tomcat and Bobcat. My Bobcat is a .25.
They just kick ass. I have owned them for years, trouble free. I had to buy a couple safety springs from Brownells a while back when I decided to tear em down.
Such great pistols to shoot and ccw. I can't believe the expensive used prices on these I have seen local and on GB.
Congrats on your find.
View Quote

Thank you. What is it with the springs I keep reading about? Is it that hard to keep them in the gun? I took my grips off but didn't mess with the safety. I just cleaned up the dried lube and lubed her up. And yes, used tomcats are demanding quite a premium compared to new prices when they were still in production.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They're great little pistols.  I have a stainless 21A that I'm going to send off to Accurate Ordnance to have it threaded for my cans.  Then add a set of Crimson Trace grips and have a fun little critter getter.  The sights on them suck.
View Quote

Yeah the sights on them are pretty tiny, lol. Man, I'd love to get a hold of a stainless model!
I'm kind of reluctant to shoot this one because it likes like it was a safe queen. I'll probably shoot it until I find a replacement. Lord knows I won't have too many rounds through it because of the scarcity of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah the sights on them are pretty tiny, lol. Man, I'd love to get a hold of a stainless model!
I'm kind of reluctant to shoot this one because it likes like it was a safe queen. I'll probably shoot it until I find a replacement. Lord knows I won't have too many rounds through it because of the scarcity of ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hasn't been an issue here. Mine likes CCI MiniMags and Velocitors.  It doesn't shoot cheap bulk stuff very well, but if 100% on good ammo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]

After buying the pistol, I also bought a 100rd box of Minimags for 15 bucks because I was afraid of not finding any ammo anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
One of  my first guns was a used 21A in .25 ACP (I liked that it was centerfire and should therefore ignite more reliably than rimfire).

It was pretty reliable, but one of the most uncomfortable guns I've ever shot (the frame hammered the web of my thumb).  It also sheared the roll pin that retained the firing pin, but Beretta was great and sent me another roll pin (this was back during pre-Internet days so I wasn't sure where to go for a replacement pin).

It was the proverbial gun that was carried much and shot little (just due to discomfort, not because the pistol wasn't up to it).

Still, it was a neat little pistol.  I've never shot the .22 LR version, so maybe yours will be more comfortable to shoot than mine was.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

After buying the pistol, I also bought a 100rd box of Minimags for 15 bucks because I was afraid of not finding any ammo anywhere else.
View Quote

Where are you in TX?  Our Walmart has had them for normal pricing for the last 5 months.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where are you in TX?  Our Walmart has had them for normal pricing for the last 5 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in San Antonio. I've been hitting my local WM's but no luck in awhile. The old gentleman behind the counter would usually have a box or two of stingers that I would buy, but the gunshow was the first place that I've seen minimags since I got back into rim fire a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the .25 cal version and it is a great little gun. You can tip up the barrel as much as you want it is not going to hurt anything. Mine will hold a rapid fire 7 yard group inside a post it note despite the tiny sights and at 25 yards hold inside the nine ring of a b27 target. Not a lot of power but great accuracy and reliability. My brother has a soft spot for .25 ( we even reload the ammo, making a small powder dipper out of a shortened case with a handle soldered on.- the powder measure can not be adjusted low enough without binding up) he has shot thousands of rounds out of his - I am sure much more than the gun was ever designed for. He has broken a couple firing pin retaining pins. No need to strip these down for care really. The essence of the always gun - small enough to carry even in swim trunks. Despite what a lot of Internet commando types will rant about, the small gun on you is better than the larger gun left home. I use a desantis nemesis pocket holster with good results
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have the .25 cal version and it is a great little gun. You can tip up the barrel as much as you want it is not going to hurt anything. Mine will hold a rapid fire 7 yard group inside a post it note despite the tiny sights and at 25 yards hold inside the nine ring of a b27 target. Not a lot of power but great accuracy and reliability. My brother has a soft spot for .25 ( we even reload the ammo, making a small powder dipper out of a shortened case with a handle soldered on.- the powder measure can not be adjusted low enough without binding up) he has shot thousands of rounds out of his - I am sure much more than the gun was ever designed for. He has broken a couple firing pin retaining pins. No need to strip these down for care really. The essence of the always gun - small enough to carry even in swim trunks. Despite what a lot of Internet commando types will rant about, the small gun on you is better than the larger gun left home. I use a desantis nemesis pocket holster with good results
View Quote

That's why I'm looking for the .32 Tomcat. I feel it will be the most comfortable pistol I own to carry while riding my motorcycle. I mean, my bike has such an aggressive riding position that my phone sometimes gets in the way when wearing jeans(ghost dialing)!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I got mines threaded by Tornado Tech and I have a laser grip on it for my can.

Love the setup.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got mines threaded by Tornado Tech and I have a laser grip on it for my can.

Love the setup.

View Quote

Mine is going to accurate ordnance for the same job shortly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I've seen some pics with the threaded adapter and wondered how it was a fixed  to the bbl. Is there a set-screw or is it welded/soldered on?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've seen some pics with the threaded adapter and wondered how it was a fixed  to the bbl. Is there a set-screw or is it welded/soldered on?
View Quote

When done right the front portion of the front sight is turned off with a lathe so more of the barrel is exposed.  Then the barrel is threaded and the thread adapter attached with 1/2x28 threads on the dangerous end... My favorite method and a good write up...

http://accurateordnance.com/cgi-bin/imcart/read.cgi?article_id=16

Avoid Hi-Desert Dog jobs.  This thread details what happens when shortcuts are taken...  Not enough thread length and threads cut too shallow...relying way too much on loctite (instead of Rocksett).  Could have been an expensive mistake if it sent a round through the baffle stack.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=361454

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy smokes! You guys are giving me some crazy ideas! I think I'm going to buy another bbl and get it threaded. Are these pistols designed so that you can swap bbls out without any fitting? Or should I just get another 21A that I won't care about keeping original?
I'm kind of fond of the looks of mine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought one new when I got out in 87.
Great little gun. I wouldn't mind finding another . . .
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought a pristine 21a at the gunshow last weekend with box and papers. It was sort of an impulse buy because I was actually looking for a .32 tomcat, but holding the little .22 version just felt so good(even if it is a 2 finger hold), not to mention that the blueing just stood out. So yeah, I'm happy with my purchase.
1.How many of you guys use the flip-up bbl feature? I'm afraid of using it too much and getting a loose hinge. This one still has a tight hinge and slide fit.
2. My pistol's mag has no Beretta markings on it anywhere. Do all Beretta mags come marked? Mine was manufactured in '91. It feeds well and slides/locks/drops very smoothly.
3. Where to find a nice pocket holster. All the ones I've found online are discontinued.
Thanks all,
                       Ray
View Quote

Hey OP..there's a .32 Tomcat for sale in the EE pistol section with XS sights.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks all,
                       Ray

I couldn't find it. Is it stainless?  I kinda like the original low-profile sites.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:32:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Both were blued. One had a CTC grip. The other with the XS sights.

Here's one...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_88/1471228_WTS_Beretta_Tomcat_3032__32acp_w__crimson_trace_laser_grips_FL.html

The other with XS night sights...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_88/1470496_Beretta_Tomcat_32.html
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#21]
This one would be perfect if it had the original sights. It's even the newer model with the beefed-up slide.
Thanks for looking them up for me, though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This one would be perfect if it had the original sights. It's even the newer model with the beefed-up slide.
View Quote

In case you don't know. Even the beefed up Tomcat still has the stupid cracking issue. Granted it's cosmetic more than anything..........The only Tomcat's that don't crack are the titanium models. But Beretta only made 2000 of those IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In case you don't know. Even the beefed up Tomcat still has the stupid cracking issue. Granted it's cosmetic more than anything..........The only Tomcat's that don't crack are the titanium models. But Beretta only made 2000 of those IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much are the titanium ones going for? I haven't seen one on gunbroker yet(or anywhere else, for that matter ).
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How much are the titanium ones going for? I haven't seen one on gunbroker yet(or anywhere else, for that matter ).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, no idea on price. I was wrong. They didn't make 2000. It was only 1500.

I did a search on GB. And there haven't been any for sale that show up.

So I guess price would be whatever you're willing to pay.

Beretta may actually be discontinuing the Tomcat. A member on the Beretta Forum sent his in because of the crack. And Beretta USA told him they didn't have/or Tomcats weren't available. It was under warranty so they gave him a new Nano. I suppose it might make sense to discontinue the Tomcat that has it's cracking issue (the it tends not to hinder function). With the Nano and Pico out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I think the Tomcat has been out of production for a few years already.
With the INOX versions selling for around 700 bucks, it wouldn't surprise me that the titanium ones go for a grand or more.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, the availability of both the Bobcats and the Tomcats have been weird for a while. Of course no one knows for sure if the guns are still being made or if they're discontinued. And Beretta Italty or USA ain't telling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top