Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2015 10:42:14 AM EDT
The Army has just started it's search for the MHS- Modular Handgun System to replace the M9.  It will be interesting to see what comes of this process, if anything.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Berretas ( two 92fs's and a Inox),  but I like to see the new technology out there.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I very much love the M9 (I have and love a 92FS myself) but I think it is a poor choice for a military sidearm.  That open slide design is very sexy but not good for being the crap.  I think the Military could find a much better option.  I also think they are probably over thinking it.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I bet they stay with 9m.m.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone will get another star on their shirt and a cushy retirement job. Tons of taxpayers' money will be wasted. The Beretta will remain and a bunch of new designs will hit the civilian market. Same as the last several of these programs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone will get another star on their shirt and a cushy retirement job. Tons of taxpayers' money will be wasted. The Beretta will remain and a bunch of new designs will hit the civilian market. Same as the last several of these programs.
View Quote

Yup. Just like every other "program" to replace the M4 and M9...some cool new designs will be brought about...the Army will stagnate on their decision and ultimately say it's too expensive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Well they do make changes sometimes. It just might not be now.......     Would be interesting to see if they went with something polymer if it held up as good as the 1911 or M9.  My guess is no.  I know Spec Ops use Glocks,  but it would be interesting if they would hold up for long periods as a general issue pistol.  

But yeah, most of the time it's all just pissing in the wind at the expense to us.

Also, I've heard it argued that the open slide is actually good in adverse conditions, even the desert.  I don't really know first hand.  Mine is usually pretty clean, living either in my drawer or in my holster.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Waste of time and money for a piece of equipment that will hardly be used, fired, or trained on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 I know Spec Ops use Glocks,
View Quote

or 1911's, or Sig's, or FNH's, or...
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well they do make changes sometimes. It just might not be now.......     Would be interesting to see if they went with something polymer if it held up as good as the 1911 or M9.  My guess is no.  I know Spec Ops use Glocks,  but it would be interesting if they would hold up for long periods as a general issue pistol.  

But yeah, most of the time it's all just pissing in the wind at the expense to us.

Also, I've heard it argued that the open slide is actually good in adverse conditions, even the desert.  I don't really know first hand.  Mine is usually pretty clean, living either in my drawer or in my holster.
View Quote

Well, the bigger hole lets more stuff in...
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang it. I'm still running a SAA.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Very few mil personnel actually train with rifles. Pistols are even less taught.

It'll be interesting. It's the Indian and not the arrow that matters.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, I meant H&K not FNH
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd rather keep the M9 vs having a Sig P320 forced on me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that they use other pistols.  I only mentioned glocks in this context because I was making the point about polymer framed guns and how they might hold up under hard use by the military.  Most other pistols in use are either steel or aluminum framed.  With the other exception being the mk23.  Which you don't hear a whole lot about.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I hope if they do replace it they replace it with a pistol as equally dependable and accurate.  Beretta has had a pretty good run on the M9 series with the US military IMO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Whether its for the better or not , FN will get the next pistol contract.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small, specialized units will always be able to field COTS weapons from discretionary funds, so what special operations units are using is meaningless.
When you start talking about funding for hundreds of thousands of weapons, all sorts of factors other than "best" performance ("best" in whose eyes?) come to the fore.
Now that the wars are winding down, funding the replacement of a tertiary weapon used by few is going to be an even lower priority.  However, there are palms to grease and friends to take care of so the selection process will continue right until it's time to spend serious money.  Then the M9 will be deemed adequate to the task.  If there is an expenditure, it will be to acquire spare parts.
But I've been told that I'm jaded, so who knows.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also lets it back out...
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Again?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please explain.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Waste of time and money for a piece of equipment that will hardly be used, fired, or trained on.
View Quote

^^^This.
Ex grunt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are cleaning it.

Same logic can be applied to rifles, the ar is much more reliable rhan the m1 carbine or garand, because the garand and carbine are more exposed to debris than an ar
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, priceless....
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Dispense with the Bullshit!  Issue the Glock G17, and get it over with!  That was easy!
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dispense with the Bullshit!  Issue the Glock G17, and get it over with!  That was easy!
View Quote

And think of the millions in tax money saved..!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I have had 30 years behind an m1 and would disagree they are less reliable than an ar. Regarding the beretta ( which I carried in both Iraq and Afghanistan) there is nothing wrong with it and with the force draw down there should be plenty of serviceable pistols available for our current needs. A new pistol would be much less useful than actually teaching troops how to use them. Sending each soldier mtoe'd a pistol to a course like gun site or thunder ranch would do the trick.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Lol, priceless....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, priceless....

Arent you the guy that has been singing the praise of the 320 since before they were available to the public?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lol, priceless....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, priceless....

I'm in the same boat. I'll keep my M9.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep and they will melt in the  hummers
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I know that they use other pistols.  I only mentioned glocks in this context because I was making the point about polymer framed guns and how they might hold up under hard use by the military.  Most other pistols in use are either steel or aluminum framed.  With the other exception being the mk23.  Which you don't hear a whole lot about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironically, a HG with the modularity & accuracy requirements as specified will prob wind up being something proportional to the Mk23.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're ignoring that the M9 is currently coming with polymer parts (including the recoil spring guide rod).
From what I've been able to find,  the melting point for the polymer Glock uses is about 420 degrees F.  The thermal index (when it starts to lose its physical properties) is somewhere around 280 degrees F.
The dashboards of vehicles in direct sun in the Middle East probably can get about 210 degrees F.
Water boils at 212 degrees F.
I'm not sure that there is a problem with polymer pistols and any amount of heat that they are likely to be subjected to.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You're ignoring that the M9 is currently coming with polymer parts (including the recoil spring guide rod).
From what I've been able to find,  the melting point for the polymer Glock uses is about 420 degrees F.  The thermal index (when it starts to lose its physical properties) is somewhere around 280 degrees F.
The dashboards of vehicles in direct sun in the Middle East probably can get about 210 degrees F.
I'm not sure that there is a problem with polymer pistols and any amount of heat that they are likely to be subjected to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guide rod is the only polymer part and is easily replaced. They do have some polymer coated metal parts like the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I prefer Glock, plenty of them is use by SOF during the last tour in the SB.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Can someone show me a dead American due to the m9?

Former grunt here, and Security Force Marine. M9s work great if recoil springs are replaced.

Now as a civy I can still shoot my 92fs faster and more accurate than my glocks or sigs. I do prefer to carry my glock 19 though. I have no problem going back and forth either. Some of you with how backwards the saftey is make me wonder
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I prefer the 92 style safety to any other I have shot. This is coming from a 1911 guy and owned 1911s before ever touching a beretta. My name even says it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The guide rod is the only polymer part and is easily replaced. They do have some polymer coated metal parts like the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you missed the point.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder.  I've seen LE trade in G22s and G17s with frames that are chewed up and looking haggard.  I suspect M9s are still issued that are pushing 15-20+ years?  If you started with new guns and pallets of ammo and shot to failure I suspect the Glock (and other poly frame guns) would fair well, possibly best.  But, I wonder if polymer frame degradation over time would really fair as well as a quality metal one- not from being fired a lot, but from being banged around and exposed to chemicals and the elements.  I'm not talking safe queens, babied CCW guns, weekend or range rental blasters, or gamer guns, but guns that get used, neglected and/or abused year after year like (many) USGI issue firearms do.  What handgun frame material would really best stand the test of time?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah.  That's my thoughts too.  The guy from the Henderson Defense thread is saying they're getting cracked slides.  Well isn't that kind of funny how Beretta is practically labeled junk in the beginning because they got a few cracked slides from hard use and stiff ammo.  But nobody is going to say anything about some Glock slides cracking from hard use.........  In one ear and out the other.  

But I also believe that anything can break if you use it enough.   It's just that it sounded like the Glocks were failing in similar spots from one to another.  Not just random.  Towards the rear or something like that.  Could be a design thing.  Or weakness.  But those guys shoot tons of rounds through them.

My guess is the poly frames wouldn't hold up as well as aluminum or especially steel (1911).  But I don't really know.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah.  That's my thoughts too.  The guy from the Henderson Defense thread is saying they're getting cracked slides.  Well isn't that kind of funny how Beretta is practically labeled junk in the beginning because they got a few cracked slides from hard use and stiff ammo.  But nobody is going to say anything about some Glock slides cracking from hard use.........  In one ear and out the other.  

But I also believe that anything can break if you use it enough.   It's just that it sounded like the Glocks were failing in similar spots from one to another.  Not just random.  Towards the rear or something like that.  Could be a design thing.  Or weakness.  But those guys shoot tons of rounds through them.

My guess is the poly frames wouldn't hold up as well as aluminum or especially steel (1911).  But I don't really know.
View Quote

Well lets be honest, Ron unequivocally says g17gen4 are the most reliable handgun he rents.

The slide.is breaking at a much higher round cound too.

That being said. The only thing he sees break on berettas are the locking block and they go back on the line after replacing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well lets be honest, Ron unequivocally says g17gen4 are the most reliable handgun he rents.

That being said. The only thing he sees break on berettas are the locking block and they go back on the line after replacing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the discussion may be over different things.  USGI guns don't need to be reliable for 100k rounds.  Excluding elite units, they are carried far more and fired less than a range run. They need to remain reliable and serviceable after many years of USGI use, abuse and neglect.  If not, (frame) replacement cost will be higher than the M9 in the long run, and poly frame degradation could effect reliability.  Question is can a poly frame gun stand the test of time (e.g. chemicals, the elements, being banged around, etc.).
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I've talked to several folks who served in Iraq/Afghanistan and some loved the M9 while others hated them but they all had strong opinions about their issued sidearms, nobody ever said "I don't care" which is interesting.  Personally, I'd like to see something more powerful than the 9mm, as the Gov originally hinted at, but I doubt they will change.  When I was a LEO I started out with a 9mm S&W 59 but after some time on the job and seeing the data on real gun fights I switched to a G21 .45acp.  If i ever went back into the LE biz or had to carry a full-size for everyday carry, I'd definitely go right back to carrying the G21.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think the discussion may be over different things.  USGI guns don't need to be reliable for 100k rounds.  Excluding elite units, they are carried far more and fired less than a range run. They need to remain reliable and serviceable after many years of USGI use, abuse and neglect.  If not, (frame) replacement cost will be higher than the M9 in the long run, and poly frame degradation could effect reliability.  Question is can a poly frame gun stand the test of time (e.g. chemicals, the elements, being banged around, etc.).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glocks have been in military service for 20+years. I just dont think its a very important factor. Ive seen some pretty knarly looking beretta and glock frames that both still work. Im not saying glock frames will last 100 years of military service but I wouldnt be surprised if they did.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've talked to several folks who served in Iraq/Afghanistan and some loved the M9 while others hated them but they all had strong opinions about their issued sidearms, nobody ever said "I don't care" which is interesting.  Personally, I'd like to see something more powerful than the 9mm, as the Gov originally hinted at, but I doubt they will change.  When I was a LEO I started out with a 9mm S&W 59 but after some time on the job and seeing the data on real gun fights I switched to a G21 .45acp.  If i ever went back into the LE biz or had to carry a full-size for everyday carry, I'd definitely go right back to carrying the G21.
View Quote

If I reenlisted tomorrow id be happy with a glock, beretta, or sig and feel confident with plan old ball.

People get so hung up up on brands when it is pretty irrelevant to the shooter. Software trumps hardware.

Since warfighters hardly ever fight with a handgun the g19 would be my pic because of weight. Beretta for aesthetics, speed, and accuracy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top