Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2015 9:07:53 AM EDT
Is it really necessary it have a light rail on a Beretta 92
for home defense and shtf type of situations?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I certainly prefer it. I just bought a 92 Brigadier and already miss having a light on the gun. I plan on getting an m9a1 compact soon to remedy the problem.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're using the 92 for HD, then I would say yes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Necessary? No. Nice to have? yes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I certainly prefer it. I just bought a 92 Brigadier and already miss having a light on the gun. I plan on getting an m9a1 compact soon to remedy the problem.
View Quote

You could get an M9A1 and then take the Brigadier upper and put it on the M9A1 frame and have a pretty good facsimile of the G-SD. You would then have a leftover 92FS which you could then sell or keep.

Anyway, rails are pretty ugly on these guns, however for home defense or other "tactical" scenarios a light is essential so you may want a rail.  I personally have a 92A1 and a Brigadier.  I prefer the Brigadier's lines but the 92A1 is probably a better all around gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]
If you do anything with it more than plink, absolutely. It's the 21st Century, all handguns for any sort of non range use should have a rail with a light. All my tactical type rifles have rails and lights as well, better to have and not need.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If your using it as a HD gun then yes. Having a light on the gun makes things simpler.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If your using it as a HD gun then yes. Having a light on the gun makes things simpler.
View Quote

And safer.
Knew your target and what is beyond it.

Any HD firearm I have has a light.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 real handguns. Both have rails, but realistically neither does. An HK USP with proprietary rail and an old SIGPRO with their propitiatory rail. both suck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem with a light on your gun is your pointing your weapon at everything your lighting up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The problem with a light on your gun is your pointing your weapon at everything your lighting up.
View Quote

Only if you want to destroy your vision.  try to shine it at something close to what you want to look at and use the edge of the  beam to discern whether you should point your gun at the object or not.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You could get an M9A1 and then take the Brigadier upper and put it on the M9A1 frame and have a pretty good facsimile of the G-SD. You would then have a leftover 92FS which you could then sell or keep.

Anyway, rails are pretty ugly on these guns, however for home defense or other "tactical" scenarios a light is essential so you may want a rail.  I personally have a 92A1 and a Brigadier.  I prefer the Brigadier's lines but the 92A1 is probably a better all around gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought about it but I'm kind of particular about not mixing/matching lol. Plus I want a compact for carry.

Rail all the way OP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

A weapon light is not meant to replace a flashlight. It has a specific purpose, and walking around shining it at everything is not that purpose.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Necessary no.  I don't use pistol mounted lights.  Nothing wrong with them I just have been using handheld flashlights for many years and prefer them.  Pros and Cons for each.  To each their own I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#14]
There are pluses and minuses to pistol-mounted lights.

The plus is that the light is always aligned with the muzzle.  That can be very convenient and help with rapid, accurate fire.

The minus is that the light is always aligned with the muzzle.  Even if you take care to try to light rooms or people obliquely, you're still presenting the weapon toward the person... presentations that may be inappropriate and that you would not have otherwise done if you had a separate light.
Of course, you could carry a separate light for room searches, but that would pretty well negate the weapon mounted light and good identification and sight acquisition can be made fairly quickly even if the separate light is not perfectly aligned.

Currently, rails on pistols are largely seen as the next evolution of the defensive/combat pistol.  Of course, recurved trigger guards (as seen on the Beretta 92 and Glock pistols) were seen as the next evolution of the defensive/combat pistol in the early 1980s... and look where that has gone.

I tend toward being pro-pistol mounted light, but I'm mindful of the potential pitfalls.  A light is necessary, but I don't consider a pistol-mounted light a "must have" for a defensive/combat pistol.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it really necessary it have a light rail on a Beretta 92
for home defense and shtf type of situations?
View Quote

no.

I have night sights from ToolTech and crimson trace 402 grips I bought used on Ebay for $100.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I prefer to see my target.
There are other people besides myself that occupy my home.
I have a Tic / EZ Rail on my 92FS that carries a StreamLight TLR2HL.
My 92A1 has a TLR1HL (not my primary HD weapon) that is ready to rock n roll as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My 92A1 has a TLR1HL (not my primary HD weapon) that is ready to rock n roll as well.
View Quote

a rail isn't required for you to see your target.
if your only light is attached to your pistol, you just pointed a loaded weapon at your child.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#18]
This exact question is why I like to have a rail on my pistols, and a light that can be easily removed. Sometimes you'll want no light, like for carry or for clearing a crowded house without muzzle-flagging everything in the world. Sometimes you WILL want a light, like when you know nobody else should be present but you hear something going down, or for when the world ends and it's just you vs. the magic cybernetic zombie fungus aliens. Much easier to just take a light off the rail and pocket/hold it for a few minutes, than to buy a second gun and make sure you grab the right one for the right situation. That being said, buy more guns anyway - it's fun.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

if your only light is attached to your pistol, you just pointed a loaded weapon at your child.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I didnt, the weapon is pointed at the floor at 45°. the light splashing will light up the room.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No I didnt, the weapon is pointed at the floor at 45°. the light splashing will light up the room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh. you're lighting yourself up for others to shoot at?
gotcha.

thought you were looking to survive.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

gotcha.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gotcha.

Are you being serious?

If you turn a handheld light on you are also "lighting yourself up for others to shoot at".

I thought we were identifying our target?

Once we do identify our target and we deem it a threat then shooting with both hands on the pistol makes fast, accurate  shotsmuch easier. Enhancing our survivability.

No matter what kind of light is being used, it is not left on. Move, light, move
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

] Are you being serious?

If you turn a handheld light on you are also "lighting yourself up for others to shoot at".

I thought we were identifying our target?

Once we do identify our target and we deem it a threat then shooting with both hands on the pistol makes fast, accurate  shotsmuch easier. Enhancing our survivability.

No matter what kind of light is being used, it is not left on. Move, light, move
View Quote

03RN, I am thinking he is. And further argument, I think, would be futile. The guy obviously has no clue what he is talking about.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I ended up getting a 92G Centurion without a rail and then I scored a
92A1 at my LGS.
Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Not a huge fan of pistol mounted lights. You severely limit your holster options in most cases. Don't see the point in having one if you still have to carry a flashlight to avoid pointing the damn gun at things you aren't going to shoot- that's one of the first rules of gun safety......They make the gun heavier and handle like crap etc....Just not my thing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#25]
HD and SHTF?  Yeah, I like a rail with a surefire mounted.

That's what my Glocks are for though

That said, I just bought an M9.  No rail just like the M9s we had in the Army.  It's just a "range/fun" nostalgia gun for me so I don't mind not having a rail on it.  I guess I could use an add on light mount if I really needed to.

If I ever get another Beretta for carry or HD it will have a rail and be decock only.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You severely limit your holster options in most cases..
View Quote

Not really. With the kydex market explosion, you can get a holster for pretty much any combination of gun/light.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm going through the same process OP.  I have a good handheld.  And I've been using my M9 as my bedside gun for 10 years.   I bought a M&P .45 from my Mom because it was my Step Dad's and he passed away.  And she needed the money for fixing her A/C, so I figured kill two birds with one stone.  I get a gun, she fixes her a/c.  She wanted to sell the gun anyways.

So I'm all like ooooo I got a rail now.  I'm still debating if I want to go the route of a WML.  I think it's a really good idea.  But I just noticed that I don't think I'll be able reach the switch with my trigger finger.  And if your using it properly, you need to be able to turn it on and off quickly and multiple times.  Does everyone use their support hand to activate the light?  Because you may need your support hand for something else, and if so I'd have to break my grip on the gun to activate the switch with my firing hand.  Seems kind of.... wrong.  But then again, if I have a hand held light, I'm limited to what I can do with my support hand.  Like call the police and etc.  It seems like kind of a dilemma to me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm going through the same process OP.  I have a good handheld.  And I've been using my M9 as my bedside gun for 10 years.   I bought a M&P .45 from my Mom because it was my Step Dad's and he passed away.  And she needed the money for fixing her A/C, so I figured kill two birds with one stone.  I get a gun, she fixes her a/c.  She wanted to sell the gun anyways.

So I'm all like ooooo I got a rail now.  I'm still debating if I want to go the route of a WML.  I think it's a really good idea.  But I just noticed that I don't think I'll be able reach the switch with my trigger finger.  And if your using it properly, you need to be able to turn it on and off quickly and multiple times.  Does everyone use their support hand to activate the light?  Because you may need your support hand for something else, and if so I'd have to break my grip on the gun to activate the switch with my firing hand.  Seems kind of.... wrong.  But then again, if I have a hand held light, I'm limited to what I can do with my support hand.  Like call the police and etc.  It seems like kind of a dilemma to me.
View Quote

Practice will help. If you have short fingers get a dg switch and practice with that.

I use my support hand to activate the light most of the time. Practice both.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I think I could use my support hand thumb pretty easily after thinking about it and pretending with my pistol like there is a light there.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top