Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2015 9:23:01 PM EDT
A coworker is looking at picking up a 92 from a friend of his for $300 and wants me to check it out for him and to fix it up if needed.

All I know is that it is a California Highway Patrol trade in I believe,but am not sure or even the age or round count.

My questions are what do I need to look for and what are some cheap upgrades so it will be dependable as he doesn't have a bunch of money.
I already told him  to look at getting a replacement locking block and a wolf spring kit.

Anything else I'm missing or should look for let me know.

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
New recoil guide spring, clean and oil. Go shoot.

Or check the tacked post above titled, "Check Your Beretta 92FS".
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
A new locking block might also be a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A coworker is looking at picking up a 92 from a friend of his for $300 and wants me to check it out for him and to fix it up if needed.

All I know is that it is a California Highway Patrol trade in I believe,but am not sure or even the age or round count.

My questions are what do I need to look for and what are some cheap upgrades so it will be dependable as he doesn't have a bunch of money.
I already told him  to look at getting a replacement locking block and a wolf spring kit.

Thank you
View Quote

The D spring, if it doesn't already have one, is the cheapest "wonder fix" that I know of.  If the gun is in good condition $300 is a great price.  If it's CHP marked its even more interesting which is a plus.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The D spring, if it doesn't already have one, is the cheapest "wonder fix" that I know of.  If the gun is in good condition $300 is a great price.  If it's CHP marked its even more interesting which is a plus.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you

Didn't know CHP used the Beretta, but rather the S&W semi's (3rd gen iirc). Cool though, and a great price as long is it isn't beaten apart.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

A new locking block might also be a good idea.
View Quote

Not needed, IMO. I have thousands of rds thru my older 92FS & as long as the recoil spring is changed regularly, there's never an issue.

OP, I would opt for a spring kit from Wolff Gunsprings for around $18 with the 14lb mainspring. If there's a metal trigger, I would opt for the reduced power trigger return spring for about $20 or so.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top