Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2015 3:59:51 PM EDT
My brother bought a Tomcat in .32ACP for discrete carry but it has been a jam-o-matic thus far using ball ammo.  He's pretty disappointed.  Anyone have experience with these?  Is there a particular ammo that might salvage this thing or should he send it back to Beretta?  Or are they generally unreliable?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try a different mag, preferably from a know good to,cat.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Have him Google "Tomcat cracked frame" and check the pistol for a cracked frame. I had one that cracked a few years ago after only a few boxes of ammo. Beretta replaced mine with an Inox model.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I almost bought a 1st gen Tomcat at a pawnshop but wanted to research it a bit. After doing so, I went back hoping against hope that it didn't have a cracked frame. It did.
I'm still looking for one, but want one of the newer ones with the thicker slide or the stainless version.
Those little pistols just feel so good in the hand!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
An old trick I use is to dab a drop of oil on the feed ramp. This helps aid feeding when some guns don't want to run properly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Ran plenty of Remington ball and Winchester Silvertip through my Inox Tomcat.  Never an issue.

Remington disclaimer:  UMC 9mm is the worst factory ammo I've ever experienced.  Only stuff that ever choked in my 92FS and SIG 226 Navy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#6]
What manufacturer's ammo has he used?

Mine had a couple jams with CCI Blazer, but has been fine with hundreds of Fiocchi and Prvi Partizan FMJ's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Owned several Tomcats over the years, never had a problem w/any of them, but I was sure to use good ammo & factory mags.
IIRC, Beretta has stated that the cracked frame is a cosmetic issue and won't lead to any kind of catastrophic failure or danger to the shooter.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Read this thread, or at least the last post.....

Tomcat - Truth is here
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one but a heavy side, I have no issues shooting any type of ammo. I would try new mag .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top