Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2015 4:00:49 PM EDT
I traded for a brand new never fired M9 yesterday.  After inspecting the pistol at home I noticed that the bore is not concentric in the barrel.  In fact its very off.  Is this normal for M9/92 barrels?  I dont have the ability to post pics right now.

" />

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Could the barrel crown be off?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont think so.  The crown seems to be lined up with the bore albeit off center.  There is significantly more material on one side of the barrel than the other if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont think so.  The crown seems to be lined up with the bore albeit off center.  There is significantly more material on one side of the barrel than the other if that makes any sense.
View Quote

I've seen this issue around, even saw some guys reporting it on Wilson Combat 92G's.  I believe it is "just a beretta".  Not sure if Beretta ever fixed the stuff.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics to show what you're talking about?  That seems like a pretty significant QC problem to me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
crappy pic added
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd talk to Beretta about that, it looks wonky to me. No way I'd consider threading that barrel for use with a suppressor either.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Had to pull out my M9 and check it out.  Just to make sure it wasn't like that as well.

I would be sending that pic to Beretta.  The thing looks like this:  

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#8]
You're talking about the slide/barrel fit right ? Totally normal and Beretta CS gets this question all the time .
After looking at your pic some more I now think you're talking about the barrel/bore . It does look like the barrel is thicker on one side .
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're talking about the slide/barrel fit right ? Totally normal and Beretta CS gets this question all the time .
View Quote

No, he's talking about how the bore isn't centered in the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea now I see that . Wow . Not good but Beretta will take care of it .
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I talked with a Beretta rep. today and he basically told me that its completely normal and that 3 out of 5 M9's have this issue.  It bothers me that it looks that way but if it's accurate and reliable I guess it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I talked with a Beretta rep. today and he basically told me that its completely normal and that 3 out of 5 M9's have this issue.  It bothers me that it looks that way but if it's accurate and reliable I guess it's not a big deal.
View Quote

at least it's not a threaded barrel
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Their QC so low that 60% of M9 barrels can be bored significantly off center and it's fine????

Must be from the Maryland factory.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based upon my experiences with a fairly large swath of M9s, I doubt that rep's story.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, I've owned over 20 Beretta 92 variants. I've never seen that before. I have seen the barrel off center to the slide, but never the barrel bored off center like that. Weird.

U can pick up a new barrel with a locking block for like $100 or so on the Beretta Forum or on gun broker easily. Quite often, new.... If it bothers U too much

That would bother me too....
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I traded for a brand new never fired M9 yesterday.  After inspecting the pistol at home I noticed that the bore is not concentric in the barrel.
View Quote

Strip the gun down, clean and lubricate it, and see if the barrel ends up closer to centerline.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Strip the gun down, clean and lubricate it, and see if the barrel ends up closer to centerline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I traded for a brand new never fired M9 yesterday.  After inspecting the pistol at home I noticed that the bore is not concentric in the barrel.

Please read the OP.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Can you post a pic of the barrel from the chamber end?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I talked with a Beretta rep. today and he basically told me that its completely normal and that 3 out of 5 M9's have this issue.
View Quote

You need to hire this lady to be your spokesperson:

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]
You just made me go look at my M9.  Older model but perfectly centered.  I wouldn't be happy with that Beretta rep notwithstanding...

I have been planning on buying an Italian 92 for my collection.  Looks like it will be a local purchase now instead of online order.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I think that I'll go ahead and request that they replace the barrel.  I just cannot imagine how QC could be so bad hat 3/5 M9's could have this problem. Ill send it in and hope for the best.  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think that I'll go ahead and request that they replace the barrel.  I just cannot imagine how QC could be so bad hat 3/5 M9's could have this problem. Ill send it in and hope for the best.  Thanks for the replies.
View Quote

How does it shoot?

If it performs well, the only person who will ever see the off-center barrel  will be the perp, for the 0.5 seconds before he catches a 115gr. Slug between the eyes

If it was mine, I would not worry about it if it functions well.......
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't look right OP.

Beretta barrels are usually quite good, and 92/M9 barrels are chrome lined which is not that common in pistols. But this one does look a little....off.

It'll probably shoot ok as Beretta has accuracy QC tests that they must pass before they are released....but this is assuming the tester was doing his job that day.

I'd try to send it back.  

It makes me wonder if in their move to Tennessee they're still trying to get things back up and going to spec.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Proof is your results on target if it shoots where you aim and is accurate ( my personal testing of random rack military m9's in a random rest showed groups of roughly two to 2&1/2 inch groups at 25 yards) ignore the cosmetics
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#25]
OP take the barrel out of he gun and take another pic . Some people on here are thinking you're talking about the barrel/end of the slide fit. I know I was at first .
Then send that pic to their CS .
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok everybody I think were in business now.  I called the Beretta rep back again this morning and went over the issue.  I explained to him that the bore is not concentric with the barrel (again) and I took a picture of it and sent it to him.  After seeing the picture he agreed that it was odd and stated that he had never seen that issue before.  He arranged for the pistol to be picked up from my home by UPS and repaired.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#27]
. Good job...!! Glad they are taking care of you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like shifty qc, and a serious lack of give a fuck to me.

Txl
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Will check all our Beretta pistol bbls tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:24:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok everybody I think were in business now.  I called the Beretta rep back again this morning and went over the issue.  I explained to him that the bore is not concentric with the barrel (again) and I took a picture of it and sent it to him.  After seeing the picture he agreed that it was odd and stated that he had never seen that issue before.  He arranged for the pistol to be picked up from my home by UPS and repaired.
View Quote

Good to hear. He must have thought you were talking about what some others here thought you were talking about. I agree, you issue is a big problem. But some folks get really bent if the muzzle end of their barrel has slightly more light/space on on side or another with the muzzle end of the slide. That is normal and not an issue. Your problem is an issue. But it sounds like Beretta is taking care of it. :D
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm glad to hear that Beretta is on it. Let us know what they end up doing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't it be faster, easier and cheaper for Beretta to just send you a new barrel?

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be faster, easier and cheaper for Beretta to just send you a new barrel?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it would be.  I asked the rep. if they could just send a new barrel but he explained that that it would be best to ship the entire pistol in order to have it inspected.  I have to agree with him.  If QC was bad enough to let a barrel like that slip through the cracks who knows what else could be jacked up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes it would be.  I asked the rep. if they could just send a new barrel but he explained that that it would be best to ship the entire pistol in order to have it inspected.  I have to agree with him.  If QC was bad enough to let a barrel like that slip through the cracks who knows what else could be jacked up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point....
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like outstanding customer service to me.  I have never seen what you have posted on any M9 or 92fs I have handled.  Let us know how this story ends.  Edited Content.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#36]
The brown truck dropped my M9 off yesterday.  It took Beretta about 3 weeks to get the thing back to me.  Everything seems to be normal now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The brown truck dropped my M9 off yesterday.  It took Beretta about 3 weeks to get the thing back to me.  Everything seems to be normal now.
View Quote

Glad it worked out for you OP. New barrel?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they replaced the barrel.  I took it to the range today and put 200 rounds of various 9mm through it.  It ran 100% although I need to retrain myself to stop riding the slide stop with my thumb.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#39]
My 96G Elite (Brigadier slide) was the same way and it was a tack driver.I should clarify it was not perfectly aligned but maybe not as WTF as yours..

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bet they wanted to see it in hand. They did not think it was a real pic. They thought you were attempting to get a free barrell for the effort of a trick boinked pic.

I want a 96 at some time. Sooner than later. The bastard egg barrell thing won't fly with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top