Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2015 5:31:47 PM EDT
My father in law passed away last week. My wife helped her mother and sister clean out some of his stuff and came home with a couple of pistols for me. One of them is a Beretta Model 71 22LR. I'm not sure of how old it is or how long he had it. It needs a good cleaning, but looks pretty good overall. A quick google search shows some that were imported with a screw-on fake suppressor, but this has nothing like that. I will try to get some pics up soon. Any info on the gun would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My father in law passed away last week. My wife helped her mother and sister clean out some of his stuff and came home with a couple of pistols for me. One of them is a Beretta Model 71 22LR. I'm not sure of how old it is or how long he had it. It needs a good cleaning, but looks pretty good overall. A quick google search shows some that were imported with a screw-on fake suppressor, but this has nothing like that. I will try to get some pics up soon. Any info on the gun would be appreciated.
View Quote

IIrc these were used by Mossad hit squads and the Israeli air marshalls back in the 60's/70's.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Blue Book says ".22LR version of Model 70, alloy frame."

100% value is $220, 60% is $120.

No mfg dates given, sorry.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My grandpa has one that my dad gave him. It's one of the most accurate/comfortable guns I've ever shot. It's a family-wide favorite.

The mags for it are hard to find, so buy when you find them.

It also has reliability to rival the Ruger .22's, maybe even better. It's the only .22lr semi I would consider carrying for protection.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Had one for a while, great gun.  Jaguar I think it's called. It was very reliable.

Parts are a little hard to come by, especially mags.  If you need parts your best bet might be Brignoli, but not sure what they'll have.

Keep it and shoot it, they're wonderful little guns of a different era.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#5]
These are real nice .22's, you will like it if you shoot it a time or two. They probably fit a small hand better than a large hand though, due to the rest on the bottom of the magazine.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Blue Book says ".22LR version of Model 70, alloy frame."

100% value is $220, 60% is $120.
No mfg dates given, sorry.
View Quote
They go for several times that on GB.  $220 would be a steal.  100% condition would likely go for upwards of $900.

The current surplus crop are pretty beat up and run around $250      

These are not your typical .22lr, the quality is on par with Beretta's centerfire line.

A bit more on the Israeli connection:

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/#mossad-22-lsr-beretta-70

http://gunsmagazine.com/whispers-of-mossad/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top