Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2015 12:09:36 AM EDT
I am considering building a Beretta 92 to fit in my bedside safe.  I want a 92 with a full size grip and a rail for a light. I also need the 92 to have a compact model slide so it will fit in the safe.  Beretta does not make a gun with a full size frame, a compact slide, and rail for a light.  So I was wondering...

Can I get a full size 92 with a rail and install a compact slide?  I did a little bit of searching and the internet answer is that it fits but it is a bad idea because the frame rails are longer on the full size guns and shorter on the compact guns.  The internet consensus is that this will cause a timing issue.  Does anyone really know this to be true (with first hand knowledge / personal experience?)

I don't know much about the Beretta guns but I do know a little about 1911s.  The frame rails do NOT stop the rearward travel of the slide. (Instead, the barrel recoil spring housing sandwiches the guide rod head up against a flat surface inside the frame.)
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#1]
If I may, if shown this problem:
- I might buy another safe (sell the old one) to fit more/different guns)
- Depending on clearance, you could have the beretta's barrel shortened slightly, (Check out the wilson combat guns), if the clearance issue is very small
- A compact beretta can likely take a fullsize mag with a spacer on the bottom to fill the difference in grip. This might be the golden ticket. A compact running +2 mag extensions is another option.
In addition to that you would also be able to have that beretta in a stock/standard "as designed" form

- If the safe is special/srs-business, another platform, like the sig P320 (IIRC one can get a full frame compact slide combo) might be worth looking into

Trying to make a custom one off gun is literally the most involved, possibly highest cost solution.
If you want a custom beretta, buy all means get one if you can and post pictures, because 'merica
But it would likely be cheaper to get a different style safe by that point.

My 2 cents

ETA: Not mine
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:17:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Not recommended.

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=1078472&postcount=33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top