Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2015 3:16:54 PM EDT
Hey, all. I took my 92FS Police Special to the range today for the first time since buying it. I bought it from the PD I work for about 3 years ago when the issued gun (if you wanted an issued gun; you were allowed to carry other personally owned guns if you wanted, within policy guidelines) went from the Beretta 92FS to the Glock 22. I bought the gun and 6 magazines for $225.00. I also bought an ancient, beat to hell 1st Gen G17 with 6 mags for $200.00 at the same time. Both prices were what one of the police supply wholesalers were willing to give us for trade in towards new Glocks and the Chief allowed up to buy them for the trade in value. Since I'm one of the firearms instructors, I got my pick of the guns and bought the Beretta in the best condition. There was only 1 Glock, so there wasn't any choice with it. The Beretta has very little finish wear and very little use. It came from the factory with night sights, although they are mostly dead now (the sights are dated 1999; since the gun came from the factory with them, I'm assuming the gun was made in 1999 as well). The glow very dimly in almost total darkness and that's about all they have left. They still work as 3 dot sights, though, so no real harm, especially for what I spent for it.

I've shot a few rounds through Berettas before, although I mostly shoot and carry Glocks. I'm familiar with how they work, since they were issued and I am an instructor, although I never really took the time to get really familiar with them. Well, that changed today. I found about 150 rds of some of my reloads from several years ago, when I was using my Lee Pro 1000, before I got my Hornady Lock and Load Progressive. The Lee was an OK machine but I had constant trouble with it maintaining consistent overall length if all 5 stations weren't occupied. The longer rounds wouldn't chamber in my Glocks; they would lock the slide up a couple millimeters out of battery and they locked the slide up so hard that I had to put the front of the slide against the wooden range backstop and shove really hard to get the round out of the chamber. The rounds were just long enough that the bullets started engaging the rifling and got jammed up, or that's what I am assuming since a few of the rounds that jammed up the Glocks had faint rifling marks on them. The Hornady machine maintains OAL very well, whether all the stations are occupied or not, and I no longer have any trouble with my reloads. The older ones shoot fine out of my S&W Shield and today I decided to see if they would shoot out of the Beretta. Having never really shot the Beretta before, I'd be killing 2 birds with 1 stone, as well as having a good time.

Long story short, the Beretta fired them very well, even some that had quite a bit of corrosion on the brass. I'm still not really used to the DA/SA transition and threw a few shots when shooting DA for the first shot, but the gun shot VERY WELL! VERY accurate as well. I was amazed by the accuracy of the gun. I shot it better than the Glock 19 I'm now carrying for my duty gun, which kinda upsets me a little. I always knew that the gun fit my hand well (I have pretty big hands), but I was amazed by the accuracy. VERY smooth as well. I have read that some describe cycling the slide and pulling the trigger as if the slide and trigger are mounted on well greased ball bearings. Well, I completely agree. VERY smooth, a LOT smoother than my Glocks! 150 rds is hardly an extensive torture test, but the gun was still cycling very smoothly, so I can't see it having any trouble with quite a few more rounds before choking from dirt and grime.

Overall, I really like this gun. I still prefer to carry my Glocks because of the single trigger pull and lighter weight but if for some reason I couldn't carry Glocks and had to use a DA/SA auto, the Beretta would be pretty high up on the list. So smooth and so accurate. I've been wanting a CZ75 lately because I keep hearing about how reliable, ergonomic and accurate they are. I still want one, but I'm really liking this 92FS. So smooth and accurate! Although it hasn't been shot much, I should probably replace the springs and I'd love to try a 92D hammer spring. I now understand the love for the gun and I can honestly say that it will make more range trips with me. As I said above, very impressive.

I was going to post some pics but Photobucket is down right now. I'll try again later.

Bub75
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Long reading no pictures
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Long reading no pictures
View Quote

Oh...  Let me help you out then.

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/75-authorsillustrators-everyone-should-know

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Pretty typical 92FS.

Bub75
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want the night sights brought back to life, ToolTech (the factory supplier for night sights for Beretta) does them. They did my M9A1 and I've been very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. I have used Tooltech for Beretta night sight installs many times. However - once the nightsights are on there... Trijicon will actually relamp a slide for like $45-$50 or so.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes. I have used Tooltech for Beretta night sight installs many times. However - once the nightsights are on there... Trijicon will actually relamp a slide for like $45-$50 or so.
View Quote
This information pleases me greatly. Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's on the list to do sometime. This Beretta isn't much more than a range toy right now, so I'm not really worried about it right now. But, like I said, it is on the list of things to do sometime, when I have the extra cash.

Bub75
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Bub,

I'm with you - these Berettas are a dream to shoot, and will eat anything.  And just like you, I had OAL issues with my Glocks.  I eventually figured out how to get the rejects down to zero.  In any case, if I have a 9mm my Glock won't feed, the Beretta will run them with no issue.  Very confidence inspiring.

And I agree, a Lee 1000 will 'make you work for it' with regard to setup and tuning.  And woe to you if you let the primers run low.

Lets see that GEN1 Glock.  I would love a GEN1!

Ray
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bub,

I'm with you - these Berettas are a dream to shoot, and will eat anything.  And just like you, I had OAL issues with my Glocks.  I eventually figured out how to get the rejects down to zero.  In any case, if I have a 9mm my Glock won't feed, the Beretta will run them with no issue.  Very confidence inspiring.

And I agree, a Lee 1000 will 'make you work for it' with regard to setup and tuning.  And woe to you if you let the primers run low.

Lets see that GEN1 Glock.  I would love a GEN1!

Ray
View Quote

Ray, I've posted pics of the G17 in the Glock subforum several times. It is absolutely beat to SHIT! Beat as in the stippling is worn smooth on the butt and the original plastic rear sight is worn to the point that it is pretty much unusable. The extractor depressor spring finally wore out and I was getting quite a few FTExtract and FTEject malfunctions. It seems that the extractor is loosing its grip on the empty case regularly when extracting and either doesn't drag it all the way out of the chamber or looses it after pulling it out but before hitting the ejector. The extractor is fine, so it only makes sense that its the spring. I've replaced the spring but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet to make sure it took care of the problem. I'm not going to post the pics here since this is the Beretta subforum, not the Glock subforum. I'll post them sometime.

Bub75
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#10]
No worries!  Meanwhile, enjoy that Beretta.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

VERY accurate as well. I was amazed by the accuracy of the gun. I shot it better than the Glock 19 I'm now carrying for my duty gun, which kinda upsets me a little. I always knew that the gun fit my hand well (I have pretty big hands), but I was amazed by the accuracy.
View Quote

I've heard this from many first-time Beretta shooters. I've busted clay targets sitting on a dirt berm from 50 yards (not feet, YARDS) with my 92FS & using cheap PMC FMJ ammo.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top