Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2015 3:07:31 PM EDT
Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read and heard, the last M9 contract was in 2012 for 100,000 pistols. Am I correct to assume that beretta at this point began using the plastic parts in place of the steel (decocker, trigger, guide rod, and lanyard loop) along with hex head screws? Did they start stamping the slide with a stylized PB at this point or continue using the block style PB as in previous mil contracts? If anyone has been issued a beretta and knows these details, I would be interested to hear what they are. It's difficult to find collectors of M9's and to find the details about these pistols.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if this helps but my 2011 commercial M9 has the plastic parts, hex grip screws, and stylized PB. All other markings are same down to Assy. no. on slide.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#2]
There are different standards for civilian production and mil contract guns.
Keep in mind contracts tend to be worded as negotiated for UP TO a certain number of guns - so the gov and maker settle on a per unit price that is good for a certain  amount of time and quantity of units. Once signed any number from one to the full contract number can be bought at that price. They will then frequently negotiate extension to contracts for more at the same or minimally different price.
So a contract for up to 100000 may end up resulting in only a few guns shipped or a whole bunch.
While beretta can sub anything they want in a civilian m9 the mil contract guns any mods to the design have to be approved before they can do so.
I retired from the mil in 2009 and my last deployment my m9 was an older one that had already been marked as going through depot rebuild.
Some may be able to give first hand knowledge but I doubt the plastic parts would have been approved for the contract, unless beretta could prove they were more durable than the original metal ones.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Beretta started putting plastic parts in the M9 shortly after they started producing plastic parts. The change isn't tied to any particular contract; when Beretta comes up with a change they think will be beneficial they contact the Army project manager who tests the change to make sure it's worth while. If the change is approved, the Army notifies Beretta and pistols produced after that date incorporate the change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top