Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 11:50:38 AM EDT
My next purchase is between the M9 or M9A1. No, I'm not waiting for an A3.

Basically this purchase is for 2 reasons: nostalgia because I carried an M9 in the military, and because I don't have a 9mm.

Even though I carried the M9, I'm leaning towards the M9A1 after holding one recently and noticing the difference in the grip. Plus, the option to add a light is nice.

Drawback to me getting the M9A1 is that I have holsters for the M9 already which don't fit the A1 (specifically, I have a couple blackhawk serpa holsters). Plus... It's not a basic M9, so for nostalgia purposes I can't say it's what I carried. Sounds stupid but I can't really explain it.  

Hard decision... They're both the same price so that's not an issue.

ETA 4/30/15: Obtained the purchase permit yesterday (finally! ). I placed an order with ImpactGuns for a new M9 with 15 rounders

Ultimately nostalgia won this debate for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
What's more important to you - nostalgia or functionality?  If the former - M9 wins, otherwise M9A1.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's more important to you - nostalgia or functionality?  If the former - M9 wins, otherwise M9A1.
View Quote

That's the problem, I can't decide which is more important

Perhaps the correct answer is to get both. Maybe get the M9 now and get an A3 down the road instead of the A1.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The A1 grip is better.

But, the dust over makes it harder to conceal if that's a concern.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Just stop dancing around it and buy both

The no holster issue can easily be remedied by ordering a custom
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Even thought you said you're not going to, wait for the M9A3!

Otherwise, M9A1 FTW!  If you don't like the frame you can actually have it cut down so there's no rail.  Then you get the aesthetics of the standard M9 (no ugly rail) and the features of the M9A1 all in one uber package!?!?!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd go for the M9A1 personally. In the 21st century any gun that could be used for defensive purposes should have a rail for a quality weapon light. Considering you're in NJ, CCW is likely a non issue so that leaves HD and range use.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]
M9A3

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you considered the 92G-SD?

It has literally everything one could want on a 92-series handgun.....all the great features of the M9A1 and Brigadier 92G, and with Trijicon night sights.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Otherwise, M9A1 FTW!  If you don't like the frame you can actually have it cut down so there's no rail.  Then you get the aesthetics of the standard M9 (no ugly rail) and the features of the M9A1 all in one uber package!?!?!
View Quote

This is actually possible? Are there smiths  that perform this work?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#10]
M9A1 owner here. Use Vertec holsters, they are identical save the grip.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't imagine it would be cost effective versus simply buying an M9.

My vote is M9A1. More light/holster options versus going with an M9 and having to stick on that Surefire adapter if you need a light.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Both have lots of plastic bits scattered throughout that need replacing
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Other than the guide rod what else ? The trigger and safety lever are polymer coated steel .
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I see what you are saying, but the M9A1 has the beveled magwell, and from what I am hearing at least, also a slightly improved grip. We would lose that with just the regular M9. But I do see your point.

I don't mind usually rails too much on most guns, even though I don't need or have a use for them personally, but sometimes I have handled metal framed handguns that I didn't care for due to sharp edges on the rail(s).
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Other than the guide rod what else ? The trigger and safety lever are polymer coated steel .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus magazine catch and lanyard loop/mainstrip retainer are plastic.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It seems these days everyone wants a light mounted to their weapon.  In the old days I was taught the bad guy will shoot at the light.  I prefer the freedom to hold the light as I need at the moment.  That said, Weapons light are cool and work great.  Flashlights are cheaper.  Did I help you decide?  Probably not...
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll make it easy for you, by both. I prefer the M9 style not much on rail guns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Purchase permit is taking longer than expected jersey problems....

The M9A3 might be out by the time I get the purchase permit lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're interested in a standard M9 at a fair price then shoot me a PM. I bought one a few years ago and never got around to shooting it. It's still NIB with factory greasy finish and I'll make you a very fair deal considering I got it at a great price. I love the pistol and would buy one again in the future but I have no intention of shooting it for awhile right now and would rather have the cash in hand.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I went with the M9A1 and so far love it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I would get an M9 and replace the plastic with steel parts and replace the hex grip screws with flat head screws. I did this with mine and it is much better than how it came. I don't care all that much for rails on my guns. Non railed guns always seem a little better balancing and don't tear up holsters like railed guns seem to.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#22]
First,  so sorry to hear that you are behind enemy lines in NJ.   I escaped in 2013, I will never go back.   Living in free NH now.

I  own a 92fs vertec,  and a 96a1. I prefer the vertec more,  but the full sized grip of the 96a1 works too.   Get the  rail,  you'll thank yourself later.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
First,  so sorry to hear that you are behind enemy lines in NJ.   I escaped in 2013, I will never go back.   Living in free NH now.

I  own a 92fs vertec,  and a 96a1. I prefer the vertec more,  but the full sized grip of the 96a1 works too.   Get the  rail,  you'll thank yourself later.
View Quote

I'll go with this too. I just bought a 92 Brigadier and I'm already wanting either a Vertec or an M9A1 because I need one to mount a light on.

Get both if possible. If not, go with the M9A1.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Got bot and my world is rainbows and unicorns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Obtained the purchase permit yesterday (finally! ). I placed an order with ImpactGuns for a new M9 with 15 rounders

Ultimately nostalgia won this debate for me.

I'm leaning towards getting an M9A3 in the future as my next purchase.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Well done.... Good choice on your part!    
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I had the same issue, so I grabbed both.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#28]
The A1 is certainly a better pistol, with a rail, frame checkering, beveled mag well and sand resistant mags. But if you are looking into getting an M9A3, you will have those features (plus more) anyway. I have the same nostalgia for a standard M9 since I carried a couple in Iraq, and I really like the lines on the pistol without the rail. I want to find a really beat up M9 to resemble the ones I was issued.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Arrived much quicker than expected.

I've never handled a brand new M9 before... this thing feels glorious, like a damn Ferrari.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats .Now grease those frame/slide rails and get to the range .
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've never handled a brand new M9 before... this thing feels glorious, like a damn Ferrari.

http://i58.tinypic.com/10ejvkp.jpg
View Quote

replace mainspring with D spring and replace lanyard loop roll pin with a push pin. Thank me later. ( if you swap the spring you have to remove the roll pin anyways) the push pin is like $3.95
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Awesome OP!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

replace mainspring with D spring and replace lanyard loop roll pin with a push pin. Thank me later. ( if you swap the spring you have to remove the roll pin anyways) the push pin is like $3.95
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M9 already has a push pin .It's the M92A1 that has the roll pin .
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The older ones had a push pin.  I bought a new M9 in November with an august 14 born on date and it has the roll pin.  Many others on the beretta forum reported the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top