Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2015 2:56:27 PM EDT
Stopped in my favorite LGS to grab some ammo and a quick browse. Not sure why but I asked to see the M9 in the case with a "used" tag. Priced at 450- with box.doc's ect... and looks NEW! Fondled it for a minute and tossed some money down on it. Was in a bit of a hurry and didn't have much money on me, what am I in for?  I know NOTHING about these, looks to be well made and feels good in the hand though!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazingly accurate, wonderfully reliable but not so great for CCW use. It can be done, but just not easily. I use my 92FS in USPSA & Steel Plate matches with wonderful results.

If it hasn't already been done to the gun, order a DAO mainspring & a new recoil spring that's 2-3lbs above OEM rating from Wolff Gunsprings. This will result in an instant "trigger job" that is worth 10 times what the mainspring costs ($5?). The extra lbs in the recoil spring offsets the lowered resistance from the hammer when the slide cycles. Again, well worth the $9 or so for the spring to protect the gun.

Many owners also like to swap grips. Some prefer thinner, some prefer the VZ style so as to have a better grip with sweaty hands.

There'll be others coming along with their suggestions as well.

Post pics!  
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Will do on the springs, prob. leave the grips. The box says "20 years as the Militarys gun" or something like that. I'm assuming it's about 10 years old??? Thought it would make a good friend for my MK25
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm assuming it's about 10 years old???
View Quote

Hard to say. Might be, might also be 1 year old. Only way to know for certain is by S/N.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Amazingly accurate, wonderfully reliable but not so great for CCW use. It can be done, but just not easily. I use my 92FS in USPSA & Steel Plate matches with wonderful results.

If it hasn't already been done to the gun, order a DAO mainspring & a new recoil spring that's 2-3lbs above OEM rating from Wolff Gunsprings. This will result in an instant "trigger job" that is worth 10 times what the mainspring costs ($5?). The extra lbs in the recoil spring offsets the lowered resistance from the hammer when the slide cycles. Again, well worth the $9 or so for the spring to protect the gun.

Many owners also like to swap grips. Some prefer thinner, some prefer the VZ style so as to have a better grip with sweaty hands.

Post pics!  
View Quote

People would argue that considering any given pistol can run ammo ranging from standard up to hot +p that the recoil spring should be just fine. Also the 96 apparently uses the same recoil spring as the 92. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

People would argue that considering any given pistol can run ammo ranging from standard up to hot +p that the recoil spring should be just fine. Also the 96 apparently uses the same recoil spring as the 92. Thoughts?
View Quote

OEM springs are designed to be able to function with loads ranging from lighter target loads to +P loads. Engineering common sense would tell *me* that making a spring light enough to use with a light load isn't one *I* would want in MY guns. I simply cannot afford to replace a gun should it shoot itself to death. My 92's all have the older locking block, so it's even more critical for me to keep a proper recoil spring in there.

My opinion on swapping up 2-3lbs on a recoil spring is especially pertinent when dropping the mainspring down to the DAO. This reduces the resistance to the slide when cycling via lesser energy to cock the hammer. One is robbing Peter, so they damn well need to pay Paul, IMO. Would it work otherwise by not changing the recoil spring? No doubt, as many don't change them. But with such a fine specimen as a Beretta, aren't they worth the $9 or so a new recoil spring costs?  

As for the .40 spring being the same, I again don't see how that would not beat the slide to death. The chamber pressure of the .40 is clearly much higher than a standard 9mm load, so it goes to follow the recoil energy will also be higher. Again, why take the chance on such a fine gun?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Found the serial number on my receipt, Beretta site says 2005. How would the quality be compared to current production if different at all?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post pics!  

I've always taken the opposite view as BobCole on this.  I don't think you need to change it.  I've never heard of any battering issues with the standard recoil spring.  My well worn, used in classes and competitions 92 runs the "D" hammer spring and standard recoil spring and shows no wear that I wouldn't expect on the gun.  I shot standard pressure FMJ for most of those rounds, not +p either.  

I want the widest spectrum of reliable function in mine and decided to leave the recoil spring stock.  It works fine in the "D" and there hasn't been any issue in that gun.  If you think it's a good idea, go for it.  I don't think it will do any harm, nor make it less reliable unless you're using some really light reloads or something.  I just don't think you need to do it.

It's far more important to do the preventive maintenance checks and inspections.  Most importantly CHANGE THE RECOIL SPRING WHEN IT NEEDS IT.  That will do more than any one thing you can to prolong the service life of your gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Found the serial number on my receipt, Beretta site says 2005. How would the quality be compared to current production if different at all?
View Quote

No difference.  One thing Beretta has done quite well in the nearly 5 centuries of business (it is the oldest existing family owned company) is QC.

Notice that people bitch about various design aspects of the gun, but no one bitches about it's quality.  Even the haters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I was about to add some recoil springs to my order. Dont fit the m9a1. In fact I can't seem to find recoil springs for the A1
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unlike some mfgrs, there's no real difference in quality of build in the 92 series thru the years. Where one does seem to notice a difference is in the use of MIM parts, i.e. mag release, safety lever, trigger, etc.

I am also among the some that maintain there's no difference between the Italian made models & USA made ones.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was about to add some recoil springs to my order. Dont fit the m9a1. In fact I can't seem to find recoil springs for the A1
View Quote

Whom were you shopping with?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Wolf among other places. I appreciate your input and I decided to keep my gun stock for now
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Going to get it in the morning. They have new ones also(not sure how much?).Wondering if I should go for a new one or not???
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Going to get it in the morning. They have new ones also(not sure how much?).Wondering if I should go for a new one or not???
View Quote

Depends on the price difference, IMO. Anything over $100, I would look strongly at the used models if they're in that 98%+ state. That $100 I save is close to 500rds of some 9mm ammo.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Finally
<a href="http://s690.photobucket.com/user/THEPATRIOT-X/media/M9%20HM_zpsl2hoprsa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/THEPATRIOT-X/M9%20HM_zpsl2hoprsa.jpg</a>
View Quote

You did good!  
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Unlike some mfgrs, there's no real difference in quality of build in the 92 series thru the years. Where one does seem to notice a difference is in the use of MIM parts, i.e. mag release, safety lever, trigger, etc.

I am also among the some that maintain there's no difference between the Italian made models & USA made ones.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of those parts being MIM, just metal and synthetic.  Is this something new?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Never heard of those parts being MIM, just metal and synthetic.  Is this something new?
View Quote

Possibly bad wording on my part. I should've written it "mag release/safety lever/trigger aren't made of metal as they were in the past." I hurriedly wrote "MIM" when I shouldn't have. Seemed to be easier to type at that moment.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#19]
The only thing I would change on an M9 is the sights.

I prefer tritium/fiber-optic sights on a fixed-sight fighting handgun.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks good OP!

My opinion on swapping up 2-3lbs on a recoil spring is especially pertinent when dropping the mainspring down to the DAO.
View Quote

I've had a D spring in my M9 for years I never had any issues with the factory RSA.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks good OP!

I've had a D spring in my M9 for years I never had any issues with the factory RSA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Looks good OP!

My opinion on swapping up 2-3lbs on a recoil spring is especially pertinent when dropping the mainspring down to the DAO.

Beretta runs the same recoil spring assembly in all of their 92s. This whole "drop the recoil spring weight when you install a D spring" is forum stuff that makes sense on paper but isn't necessary in the real world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top