Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2015 2:41:26 PM EDT
Hi guys.

I'm currently debating which Beretta pistol to buy. The Brigadier 92FS Inox model or the 92A1. Both are really nice and only about $70 difference so no big deal there. The only major differences that I can see are:
1.) Heavier contoured slide on the Brigadier
2.) Different trigger guards
3.) Brigadier is made in the U.S.A. and the 92A1 is Italian made. I've read a ton about this on the forums, and my personal preference would be Italian.
4.) Rail on the 92A1 / Brig has no rail. Again, no issue as I will not be adding a light or laser.
5.) 15 round capacity on the Brig...and 17 in the 92A1. This one is weird to me...why the decreased capacity??
6.) Different grips...but I plan on switching to wood anyways.
7.) Last but not least the finish. I really like the Inox but have exactly zero experience with it. It seems to me that it would be a bit more durable...at least cosmetically than the brunition. Scuffs and scratches can be buffed out of nickel, not so much on the brunition.

This will not be a carry pistol...primarily a range toy. Any opinions one way or the other in helping me make a decision?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The Brigadier setup is highly sought after, and I think that with a 4.7" barrel it's hard to beat in the looks department.  Of course, the 92A1 has nonstandard slide/frame so that is a major consideration if you have other Berettas.  But of course, if you have other Berettas you may or may not care about swapping slides/frames.

The 92A1 for me was chosen because it had a rail, and I didn't have any handguns so it would be needed for home defense as well as looking pretty at the range.

If I had to purchase another Beretta right now it would be the Brigadier in black... Although, if you have patience, the M9A3 blows them both out of the water but at a totally unknown price...

ETA: Regarding magazine capacity, Beretta USA hasn't quite jumped on the 17 round magazine bandwagon yet.  I suspect they will whenever the M9A3 comes out...
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have no use for the rail, there is no reason to get the one with the rail.

The rail spoils the look of a classic gun.

Every generic full-size handgun has a rail these days. Nothing novel (or appealing to me) about that feature.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Im sure the Mecgar 18 round mags will work with the Brigadier, if that makes any difference.....
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys. I have had a change of heart on the 92a1. You are absolutely correct that if I don't want a rail..it's useless. Its between the classic 92fs Italian made (which I can get for $524 out here in Idaho) or go all out for the Inox Brigadier. Roughly a $200 difference...but it's my first beretta

I'll most likely own both eventually. The inox brig I believe is a limited addition. That may be the deciding factor on...wait for it...biting the bullet (don't hate me hate the game) on the spendier Inox Brigadier.

In any case the input, as I mentioned, is appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The only reason for buying the newer model, rather than the "plain 'ol" FS model is the ability to change-out the front sight on the newer model without having to send the slide to a machinist.

Even with the "modernization" of the Beretta line, they are only just catching up on the sights.

Don't know whether factory tritiums are available in any model except the one that they are getting north of a grand for at this point.
(model 92G-SD)

I'm sure none of the factory guns are using fiber-optic, let alone something like the Truglo TFX, which uses BOTH methods of sight illumination.

The only reason I can see these days for using plain black sights is for something along the lines of bullseye pistol (a truly dwindling firearm discipline).
...and then you would want big adjustable national match type sights, which I don't think Beretta offers on any factory models these days anyway.

As for that fancy new model that they are getting a grand for, am I wrong for thinking it is absurd that people are paying a grand for a metal-frame double-stack 9mm just because it has most of the features that have been on other guns with similar features for the better part of a decade? I like Beretta guns a lot, but I just can't abide paying a "stupid" tax.

...and I don't want that DAMN RAIL on the frame of my Beretta!
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys. I have had a change of heart on the 92a1. You are absolutely correct that if I don't want a rail..it's useless. Its between the classic 92fs Italian made (which I can get for $524 out here in Idaho) or go all out for the Inox Brigadier. Roughly a $200 difference...but it's my first beretta

I'll most likely own both eventually. The inox brig I believe is a limited addition. That may be the deciding factor on...wait for it...biting the bullet (don't hate me hate the game) on the spendier Inox Brigadier.

In any case the input, as I mentioned, is appreciated!
View Quote

Get the Brig. I just bought a black one on Friday, and it's awesome. It's a limited edition gun--the 92a1 will be around for a while, so you can always pick one up. I always wanted an Elite II, but this is as close as I've gotten and I'm perfectly happy with it (especially now that Wilson works on them).
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the Brigadier was the gun for you.  I went through research turmoil when trying to decide which Beretta to get and finally decided on the 92A1 just because of the better features like the rail, the removable front sight, captured spring and the beefier frame.  Mine carries a light/laser for home defense so I definitely wanted the rail.  All that said, I absolutely love my Beretta and would make the same choice again, however, since buying my 92A1 I've developed a real craving for a compact Inox of some kind.  Chances are once the new wears off your Brigadier, you'll be wanting to pick up that 92A1 too!

Congrats on the new gun! Good choice, looking forward to seeing pics
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have no use for the rail, there is no reason to get the one with the rail.

The rail spoils the look of a classic gun.

Every generic full-size handgun has a rail these days. Nothing novel (or appealing to me) about that feature.
View Quote

Agreed !
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Brig!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top