Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 11:44:05 AM EDT
I picked one up for $250 cash.  It feels like a Beretta and it was a deal at $250. I thought about using it for my truck gun.  I need mags but the cheapest I can find online is $30 each from CDNN.  Anyone have any mags laying around?  I know you can mod 92 mags to fit but I'd rather not trust my life on a modded mag.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I like them - Nice pistol, nothing wrong with it or the Cougar by Stoeger.  They are under valued in my opinion.
Perhaps It wasn't square  enough for Glock lovers or Sig lovers, and not elegant enough for purveyors of the 92.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Stoeger version.  I don't love it, but neither do I hate it (although it tries my patience at times).  The safety/decocker is awkward and difficult to use.  I've never been able to make a good shot in DA.  I'm good in SA mode though.  Well, except for all the jams, and boy does it like to jam up in all kinds of strange ways (average around once every couple of magazines worth).  I assumed it was just me (this was my first pistol), but I don't have issues with any of my other ones.  Stovepipes, double feed, triple feed, severe jams that tap, rack, bang doesn't help.  It turns into drop mag, try and rack, poke objects in to pry out the big jammed up mess...

So far, different ammo and mags don't help.  Dunno.  Maybe time to start playing with different springs.  Sigh.  I really like how it shoots once I get the stupid safety off and am in SA mode.  However, if I could get my hands on a good double stack 9mm 1911, I'd probably dump the Cougar.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't had any issues.  The DA trigger is heavy but so is the 92 unless you change the hammer spring.  My Beretta doesn't have a safety.  The leaver only functions as a decocker.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The Beretta/Stoeger Cougar was and is a well made pistol. It was built from the ground up to be a .40 S&W and .45 ACP gun.

LAPD and many other agencies allowed and issued the Cougar.  You did good on the price.

Stoeger is owned by Beretta. When Beretta came out with the PX4 (which is an updated Cougar), they moved the tooling to Turkey and continued to produce the gun and even make new versions of it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#5]
My sister bought a Stoeger Cougar a couple years ago and I gotta say, it impressed me.  I wasn't sold on the idea of her choosing that particular gun but I did the research and it all pointed to it being an excellent gun for the money.  It's not as pretty as my Beretta, but functionally, it's the real deal.  Shoots great and is as accurate and reliable as my Beretta.  She also has a Stoeger shotgun (I can't remember the model) that cost WAY, WAY less than my Benelli M1 but shoots great.  Again, it's not nearly as pretty, the finish is dull and it doesn't scream "nice" but it runs great and does everything a tactical shotgun is supposed to do.  I'm now a firm believer that if you want good quality, very reliable "fighting guns" and don't have the money or don't want to spend a lot of money, the Stoeger guns are fantastic choices.  The Cougar is built tough, it's a stout gun that is literally built like a tank.  It's my idea of a great TEOTWAWKI gun...cheap, accurate, reliable, tough as hell and extremely easy to take apart (even the innards are built big and tough).

I still choose my Beretta's and Benelli's because I'm a bit of a gun snob and I like my guns to look as good as they perform but if I was hurting for cash and needed a great gun, I'd definitely buy a Stoeger Cougar.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My sister bought a Stoeger Cougar a couple years ago and I gotta say, it impressed me.  I wasn't sold on the idea of her choosing that particular gun but I did the research and it all pointed to it being an excellent gun for the money.  It's not as pretty as my Beretta, but functionally, it's the real deal.  Shoots great and is as accurate and reliable as my Beretta.  She also has a Stoeger shotgun (I can't remember the model) that cost WAY, WAY less than my Benelli M1 but shoots great.  Again, it's not nearly as pretty, the finish is dull and it doesn't scream "nice" but it runs great and does everything a tactical shotgun is supposed to do.  I'm now a firm believer that if you want good quality, very reliable "fighting guns" and don't have the money or don't want to spend a lot of money, the Stoeger guns are fantastic choices.  The Cougar is built tough, it's a stout gun that is literally built like a tank.  It's my idea of a great TEOTWAWKI gun...cheap, accurate, reliable, tough as hell and extremely easy to take apart (even the innards are built big and tough).

I still choose my Beretta's and Benelli's because I'm a bit of a gun snob and I like my guns to look as good as they perform but if I was hurting for cash and needed a great gun, I'd definitely buy a Stoeger Cougar.
View Quote
Stoeger and Benelli are Beretta.

All Stoeger does is offer customers a great proven Beretta owned product as a less expensive price.

Beretta is like the Lexus brand, Beretta is like the Scion brand, and Stoeger is the Toyota Brand. All the same company; just different trim levels.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
do they use 92 mags?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

do they use 92 mags?
View Quote
Nope, they use Cougar magazines.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
do they use 92 mags?

I seriously considered a Cougar a few years ago, but the inability to
use the 92 magazine killed that idea.  Same for the PX4.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I had an Cougar 8045, which I believe was the first .45 ever offered by Beretta.

Great gun, a bargain priced pistol that appeared to be quality from tip to tip. Really nice pistol that for whatever reason never caught on. Mags were a bitch to find however.

Sold it to get a new pistol and like the few guns I've ever sold, completely regret it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I got an 8040 during the old federal AWB. Not a bad gun. Still carry it once in a blue moon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I carried the 8000 as a duty gun for quite a few years. I would guess 25k rounds through it and only one issue. Tried some new lube and it gummed up. It would still fire, but have a very slow blow back action.

Either way, it worked when I needed it most. It is now one of my bedside guns. Look at the D spring mod and quick polishing. It makes a big difference in trigger pull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top