Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 6:29:36 PM EDT
Replaced the grips on my M9A1 with a set of VZ grips today.  While tightening the last grip screw, the head just twisted off.  It wasn't even that tight when it broke.  Anyone else run into this and is there a better quality replacement other than the factory screws?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The factory screws are ok, but every once in a while, I have stripped one out. Did not hurt the threaded bushing.

I recently installed a Hogue brand stainless set from Brownells on a pistol, torx head screws, looked nice.

Cant really say if they are any better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Replaced the grips on my M9A1 with a set of VZ grips today.  While tightening the last grip screw, the head just twisted off.  It wasn't even that tight when it broke.  Anyone else run into this and is there a better quality replacement other than the factory screws?
View Quote

Hogue

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Beretta-Taurus-Screws-Black/dp/B0010XCMWU
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hogue

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Beretta-Taurus-Screws-Black/dp/B0010XCMWU

Thanks!  I just ordered a set.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, for years, I heard that about the Hogue grip screws - that they break off easily.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
According to their website, they've changed them and they are now made from 416 steel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had EXACTLY the same problem/scenario as you did. Drilled through the broken screw and it came out pretty easy.

I haven't bought new screws yet so I can't offer opinions on who is best, but you're definitely not alone with this problem.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Would you rather brek a cheap ass screw, or pull the threads out of the frame??

They suck for a good reason.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Replaced mine with slot head military ones...they were free
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top