Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2015 3:35:26 PM EDT
So I've been looking at carrying a full size or compact.  I've got some of the midsize or small arms like a LC9S, PPK and such which are easy to conceal.  No mouse guns since the midsize are hard enough for me to shoot accurately.  I've been looking to carry something larger for the extra rounds (obviously) and shooting ease with better sight radius and weight just to see how practical it is.

I'm a fairly big guy at 230 lb and 6 foot so the smaller guns are easy to conceal.  Before going out and spending big $$ on another gun I figured I'll try carrying something full size that I already own.  That would be a 92FS.  I figure if I can do that moderately or completely successful then it will help with deciding if a "compact" model of something might be interesting.  The problem with the compacts is that they are only marginally smaller than the full size guns of the different models.  So I'm trying to figure out how to carry the 92FS before spending the same amount or more in some cases for another gun that could be just as hard to conceal since it's just a touch smaller. I know millimeters matter, but the point here is that this is the hardest to do (if possible ).

Don't derail this with discussions of Sig or S&W (you pick) would be better.  I'll come to that bridge eventually.  Right now it's about how to adequately carry a full size since if you can do that a smaller arm should be as easy or easier.

So what's your method?  IWB?  4 o'clock position, apex, or hip?  (I'm right handed). Kydex/leather?

FYI ...state laws required concealed but accidental display is acceptable as is reasonable printing.  Just can't scare the sheep by not being discreet.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Hybrid holster, 3:30 iwb

It takes a little different wardrobe than the nano I normally carry, but I have no issues concealing it.

I am just a little smaller than you, 6'3" 210lbs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a 92FS inside waistband in the small of my back (no holster) decocked safety down. I'm 6' tall and weigh 165 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry a 92FS inside waistband in the small of my back (no holster) decocked safety down. I'm 6' tall and weigh 165 pounds.
View Quote

No holster?  Don't the edges scrape you up?

With the size and weight I can see where retention isn't a problem, but is that comfortable?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to carry my Beretta 92FS around the 5 o'clock position. It was the only pistol I owned when I was 21 years old. I used a Galco belt and Galco concealable holster and it worked well. Wore a loose button down shirt with it to conceal it, or jacket if it was cool enough. It was a bit of a pain to carry though, especially when driving it stuck into my back a bit. I have since switched to the 1911 for conceal carry. I carry at 3 o'clock with a good thick belt and IWB Milt Sparks VM-II holster.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
92fs in a Don Hume IWB in the 3 o'clock position every day.
Never had a problem, 5-11,200 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Carried one like this for YEARS, except safety off.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep mine at noon pointed straight at my nuts. When my holster finally arrives I will carry at 3:30
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

With the size and weight I can see where retention isn't a problem, but is that comfortable?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually its very comfortable and I have no issue with scratching or scrapeing, I also carried an HK USP fs for several years the same way and it was also a non issue. I really don't care for DA/SA auto pistols but they suit my needs so I live with them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry mine in a Don Hume IWB at the 4 o'clock position. Im 6'3, 200lbs and don't have a problem concealing it unless Im wearing a really tight shirt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Pants one size larger or elastic waistband.

IWB holster.

Untucked polo shirt.

EDC any service pistol.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
92fs in a Kramer IWB #2 leather holster at 4 o'clock-ish
92 Vertec in a Sparks VM2 leather holder at 4 o'clock-ish.

A good belt makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
92fs in a Don Hume IWB in the 3 o'clock position every day.
Never had a problem, 5-11,200 lbs.
View Quote

Carried like this for 2 years, same holster.  Do it!  You'll get tired of it though.  I give it 2 years.  :)
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#13]
No 92 here but I have carried a TRP Operator or a Glock 35.  

35 is in a Comp-Tac CTAC

TRP is in a HBE Leatherworks COM III

Usually both at the 330

I am 6'3" and 285.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Carried an M9 for a little while.
Galco CB3 Concealable belt, Concealable holster and QMC magazine carrier.

Fairly comfortable, but a good belt definitely makes the difference.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I've carried mine a few times.  In a holster it wasn't made for that keeps it straight up and down at 4 Oclock.  I would prefer one with a forward can't so when I bend over or sit down the butt isn't poking my shirt out.  So needless to say I've only carried it this way a few times and when I knew I either was going to have my jacket on or be in a position that nobody saw me bending over.  

It is not overly uncomfortable to carry.  It has a smoother feel to it.  However, I find a 1911 a little easier because when I sit down, with the M9 the barrel hits the seat and starts riding up a tad.  But I'm super skinny and you might not have that problem.  Especially with a decent holster.  Which might actually solve my issues with it too.  

I actually think that SOB without a holster is not that crazy of an idea with this particular gun.  But if you got into some kind of a scuffle before retrieving your weapon, that could be a bad deal.  With either losing it or I've heard it said about some people getting busted backs from the hunk of metal right on their spine.

But I agree with you too about wondering if the Compact would be really all that much better.  But sometimes a little bit can go a long way, so.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#16]
The beretta 92 was the first gun I carried conceal, did it for 2 years. And let me tell you, i was a BITCH. I am 6'0, 150Lbs. It wasn't super easy to conceal unless I dressed around my gun. I carry an M&P shield quite easily now. :) BUT I love my Beretta and I still carry it in the winter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I use an Alien Gear IWB 2.0 and a Crossbreed instructor belt for my M9A1 and it is a very comfortable setup.

With the weight of 92 series I think a good stiff belt becomes much more important. I used a different, flimsier, belt once and had to change it before leaving the house to the crossbreed otherwise I was going to be adjusting my pants all day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The beretta 92 was the first gun I carried conceal, did it for 2 years. And let me tell you, i was a BITCH. I am 6'0, 150Lbs. It wasn't super easy to conceal unless I dressed around my gun. I carry an M&P shield quite easily now. :) BUT I love my Beretta and I still carry it in the winter.
View Quote

Eat more meals and then try again.

OP, at your size, you wont have any problems. Just make sure you have a good belt
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 3 basic holsters for my beretta's, a Bianchi Model 3S for IWB, the Bianchi Askins Avenger for OWB and a Galco Miami Classic for shoulder carry.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]
So I purchased an Everyday Holster Tuk hybrid.  It's a thicker leather version of a Crossbreed.  (One note on the Everyday is that it takes awhile to break in the leather.  Out of the box the retention is almost impossible to break.  After a week straight of just wearing it around the house it's almost where I want it to be.)

Extremely comfortable to carry @ 4 o'clock.  Yeah, it's a heavy gun bit it carries tight and easily.  It surprised me!

I can definitely see the need for a stiffer belt as some have said.  The PPK and LC9 are light enough that thinner belts are ok.  Not so much with the 92!  I've really got to cinch up tight to keep from sagging when moving around.  Else I'm doing the "concealed carry shuffle" through the local WallyWorld.  

New double layer gun belt is on order to fix that problem.  

I think I'm also going to try the Don Hume IBW holster.   I love their JIT Slide holsters for OWB with the smaller guns.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas!  Feel free to keep them coming.   Now I'm thinking a 92 compact might be in my future when the next Beretta rebate happens this year (I hope).
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I can...but I won't.  It's just too heavy loaded. I carry a G22. Fully loaded is still less then the 92
I do have a crossbreed if i did want to carry it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I carry mine on my hip in a TCB Kydex holster. It conceals well under an untucked button down shirt or light jacket. During the winter, I carry in a leather shoulder holster similar to a Galco Jackass.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#23]
5'11" and about 140lbs

Beretta M9A1 OWB with a Simply Rugged Cuda

I also had good luck with a SHTF Gear Ace-1 (a nicely priced hybrid IWB) before I lost it somewhere. It's the best Hybrid IWB for the money ($60 or so), IMHO. They sell them on Amazon.

Make sure your belt it up for it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Make sure your belt it up for it.
View Quote

One of the most overlooked and denied elements of pistol-totin'.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#25]
so im 6'2 and 190lbs
live in the country i carry my beretta as my EDC in a black hawk surpaholster, no problems if im wearing a coat or a jacket no one notices even a surplus camo blouse does the job decently well, but iif i need to conceal it i tuck it in at 4 o'clock position and synch my belt tight cant it about 30 degrees i typically wear looser fitting shirts so it works and i only print of i sit down or bend over, (tho typically i conceal an XDMwht a galco king tuck) but considering i carry off safety and at half cock  its my open carry edc gun but yes you can conceal it just be aware it prints like a MOFO if you wear tighter cloths and if you sit down its easy for yhe shirt to be cought up over the gun handle when standing
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Check this out.

http://www.suspenders.com/everyday-suspenders/underups/

If you're going somewhere that you think 18+1 and a longer sight radius is important, these may be worth the 30 second installation.  I'm ordering a set right now, just to try it out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll carry my 92A1 in a Hill People Gear kit bag when biking or hiking. I also have an excellent OWB holster from Detroit Concealment that I'll use under a coat or jacket.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Crossbreed IWB for me...

it works.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Crossbreed IWB for me...

it works.
View Quote

+1 to that. Conceals just fine. Actually, the Crossbreed is the only holster I buy anymore for any pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top