Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2014 5:28:29 PM EDT
At the last round in the magazine, the slide did not open......................?  The first instance.  Did not occur with all 6 magazines.........?  Same ammo always, gun operates fine  other than that issue...   Very clean in there...  Magazines had new springs installed months ago, ..

My thumb is not on the latch....   first opinion... this is Beretta's fix.......

Respectfully,

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

At the last round in the magazine, the slide did not open......................?  The first instance.  Did not occur with all 6 magazines.........?  Same ammo always, gun operates fine  other than that issue...   Very clean in there...  Magazines had new springs installed months ago, ..

My thumb is not on the latch....   first opinion... this is Beretta's fix.......

Respectfully,

View Quote
My m9 does not lock the slide back with usgi mags, but will with the factory mags.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Magazines ......?    Factory...   All are factory mags, and have been using the same mags since 94....?   All the military manuals, the Beretta desert manual, and all the you tube videos, not a word about this issue, or a resolution...  

regards
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not the gun it's the mag. Could be something simple like an out of spec follower or weak metal used in the spring not pushing hard enough.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Restoration,

Did the slide stay back before you replaced the springs?

Is it possible the springs are in backwards - possibly tipping the follower such that it fails to cause the slide to stay back?

My 92FS has no issue with military mags.

Ray
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
the springs had been replaced months ago, from Wolf springs.  That is a nice upgrade by the way..  The slide problem just began this past monday at the range....  I need to get back to the range and trouble shoot ....  shoot...:-)    the majority of replies are pointing toward magazines, so i will place a few rounds in each magazine and process of elimination, attempt to isolate the problem..

regards
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Remove your slide stop and post pictures of the piece that sits inside the gun, remount it and take more with the slide removed, looking up through the magwell, and looking at it from above, then insert an empty mag and take one more.

I'd like to see this particular part in person but I'm way too far off.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the springs had been replaced months ago, from Wolf springs.  That is a nice upgrade by the way..  The slide problem just began this past monday at the range....  I need to get back to the range and trouble shoot ....  shoot...:-)    the majority of replies are pointing toward magazines, so i will place a few rounds in each magazine and process of elimination, attempt to isolate the problem..

regards
View Quote

This is just my thought and it might be crazy, but if you weren't having problems until now, is it possible the wolff spring upgrades could be the cause???
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
A previous poster mentioned the magazine-spring position, as it relates to the follower on reassembly.  It's easy with Factory Beretta 92 15rd mags to re-install the magazine spring both upside-down and backward, even at the same time.  Something to look at.  I've done it myself once or twice over the years..........   Feeding isn't impaired, only the failure to positively activate the slide-lock lever on an empty magazine approx. 98% of the time.

Double-check the position of the magazine-spring.  Front of the mag-spring points "up" and "forward" in relation to the front of the follower.   This is less of an issue with Checkmate and Airtronic USGI magazines since the base-plate "locker" is semi-permanently attached and the top of the magazine spring can't be installed backwards or upside-down.   Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
All are interesting, and possibly solutions to this issue..

I returned to the range for the first time since the issue began..  7 magazines, in question.  i loaded three rounds in each magazine, to keep it short.  2 of the magazines failed to open the slide after last round. I opened the two magazines right there , and looked at the springs to make sure the top was facing up and forward, and the followers in the right direction..  I re-assembled those magazines, and tried again.  This time the slide opened after last round..?  

I did not have enough time to try and re-create the issue again..

By the way, these two magazines have had the springs replaced by wolf......?  But, I replaced the springs in these two magazines, because they did not feed properly....

This M-9, only has a few thousand round in and out.  but is 20 years old..  Purchased new..
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Question....?   Are you just coping and pasting photos in the body of the message...?   I do not see area to attach photos..

Regards
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at your recoil guide spring. Ensure it is longer than your barrel.
Maybe if its too short, the slide is traveling too fast for the slide catch to push up and lock it open. If too short, replace with new spring.

If the magazine body locks into place slightly lower than the others, maybe the follower does not push up far enough to activate the slide lock.

Both other things to ponder than just your magazine springs or followers...

As always, mark the magazine that is giving you trouble to identify if its the same one over and over. Then fix, replace or trash it
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like maybe your follower is sticking on those mags and not popping all the way up.  

Maybe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top