BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are the trigger pulls like on these guns - DA and SA?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What are the trigger pulls like on these guns - DA and SA?

From http://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=1050504&postcount=33

It has a typical Beretta DA pull and SA was clean. According to my digital trigger pull scale the DA is over 12lbs and the SA is about 5.3 on a avg of 5 pulls.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So PSA pistol came into as well. It seems pretty beat up with lots of carry wear....

only thing I am upset about is whoever took the grips off has no idea how to use a screwdriver

View Quote

If you take your time with those screws, they will clean up to a much nicer condition than what they look like now.
They are soft steel, so they will take cold bluing like a sponge.
Bust out your skills and make it right... or at least a whole lot better.

I doubt there are as many "pick of the litter" 92S guns out there as the internet would try to have us believe.

I'm sure they don't "shoot as well" as the ones that have character, as the majority of the folks who got pick-of the litter 92S guns will just safe-queen them, and they will rarely get a chance to go outside and play. When you ordered one of these low-priced, used police guns, what did you want? A chance at winning the lottery, or something you could shoot without concern about maintaining its condition?

If I wanted a pristine Beretta, I'd just go buy a new one.
A new one would have better sights for sure.

But I didn't want the former, and I don't need the latter.

I like these old guns that have been-there-done that.
Some old gun that has just sat around in a box for 40 years never will have any street creds.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Screws can clean up easy, Take the screws out, chuck them up gently in a hand drill with the head of the screw facing outward.  run the drill and cup the rotating head with sand paper, start with 150 - work up to 320 and should make them look new after some cold blue.

As far as the rest of the gun.  You can easily reblue the barrel and slide assembly with a home rust blue or Belgian blue kit.  The frame can be done with a rattle can
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Screws can clean up easy, Take the screws out, chuck them up gently in a hand drill with the head of the screw facing outward.  run the drill and cup the rotating head with sand paper, start with 150 - work up to 320 and should make them look new after some cold blue.

As far as the rest of the gun.  You can easily reblue the barrel and slide assembly with a home rust blue or Belgian blue kit.  The frame can be done with a rattle can
View Quote

I kinda like the worn look just not the screws.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't mind the condition, I guess I was just expecting a little better based off reviews I'd seen others post. I'm sure the gun will perform, and I picked it up to keep in my truck as a beater anyway. Going to figure a way to mount a holster in my console.

Re trigger pull, it's a bit heavier than I'm used to, but it's pretty crisp. Actions seems good, and the gun doesn't rattle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I kinda like the worn look just not the screws.
View Quote

Here is the "worst one" of six "Black Friday" guns I inspected.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Fired it 100 rounds this weekend.

Silver Bear 115 grain stuff.

Function 100%.

Recoil spring had a little surface rust on it.
Just enough to make brown smear on paper towel with CLP.
Pic doesn't show it well, but some roughness can be felt when the spring is rubbed with fingertip.
Have not disassembled yet to inspect mainspring.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#8]
How long should a new recoil spring be? The  13lb one I received is about 5-1/8" long. Seems a little short.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
from what ive read a hair over 5"
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fired it 100 rounds this weekend.

Silver Bear 115 grain stuff.

Function 100%.

Recoil spring had a little surface rust on it.
Just enough to make brown smear on paper towel with CLP.
Pic doesn't show it well, but some roughness can be felt when the spring is rubbed with fingertip.
Have not disassembled yet to inspect mainspring.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Beretta%2092S%20-%20worst%20one/DSCN2561_zps97a6da95.jpg
View Quote

looks better then mine....
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
For those of you who still need some, here are some factory Beretta 15rd mags for $16.63 each.  It also says free shipping on these.  

http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_93&products_id=25008
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For those of you who still need some, here are some factory Beretta 15rd mags for $16.63 each.  It also says free shipping on these.  

http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_93&products_id=25008
View Quote

Those are beretta 92fs mags. They will work and lock in however the baseplate will overhang about a half inch. I find it slightly annoying.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#13]
i have read about slides on 92 models breaking, but no idea what model of 92 they were, just pre 92fs. is this a pistol where that is a concern? i have seen these and would love to own one, i fired a friends m9 a couple years ago and loved it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i have read about slides on 92 models breaking, but no idea what model of 92 they were, just pre 92fs. is this a pistol where that is a concern? i have seen these and would love to own one, i fired a friends m9 a couple years ago and loved it.
View Quote

These are the ones without the slide safely tab thing. 92fs and up have a grove on the slide and a tab on the frame to keep it from flying in your face if it breaks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#15]
First person to BREAK an unmodified one of these police pistols - any part - please post.

We're waiting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
First person to BREAK an unmodified one of these police pistols - any part - please post.

We're waiting.
View Quote

I hope this means you really do have experience with these exact firearms, and are saying that the likelihood Of them catastrophically failing is remote. Simply because this is a good deal, and I'd like to own one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hope this means you really do have experience with these exact firearms, and are saying that the likelihood Of them catastrophically failing is remote. Simply because this is a good deal, and I'd like to own one.
View Quote

If you want a used gun that has no chance whatsoever of failure, you should buy a used Glock.

Or....wait.

Maybe not.

Don't buy any used Chevy's either.

Info on Beretta slide failures:
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/true_story_m9.htm

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Given that this thread is about the 92S, and by association, aftermarket grips, you should post a pic of the other side of the gun to show the mod you made to the grip for the mag release.  Regardless of how it turned out for you, there is some value to seeing the finished product.  It would help others to decide if it would be worthwhile or not before purchasing aftermarket grips and attempting it themselves (we all know how expensive grips can be).  Also, if there is something you feel you messed up during modification, explaining that will allow others to adjust their attempts so they're more successful without having to start over at square 1.  It sucks to be the guinea pig, but sometimes it is necessary and it is always definitely valuable.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_9047.jpg

What did he charge you for the grips? you said it was "a bit extra".  Thanks

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Those are really cool, I'd own one if I had the extra money.  It does make me appreciate my 92A1 a lot more, they've come a long way.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Given that this thread is about the 92S, and by association, aftermarket grips, you should post a pic of the other side of the gun to show the mod you made to the grip for the mag release.  Regardless of how it turned out for you, there is some value to seeing the finished product.  It would help others to decide if it would be worthwhile or not before purchasing aftermarket grips and attempting it themselves (we all know how expensive grips can be).  Also, if there is something you feel you messed up during modification, explaining that will allow others to adjust their attempts so they're more successful without having to start over at square 1.  It sucks to be the guinea pig, but sometimes it is necessary and it is always definitely valuable.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_9047.jpg

I want to say their grips are $65 + $10 for the "custom work" and like $3 shipping.
I really think it was under $80

Just dug out my invoice.
$68.98 shipped
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]
50 rounds through the most beat up one today.

Ran just like new.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#22]
In case you are interested, you can buy Beretta 92 SB Factory wood grips at CDNN for less than $30.

They fit, although you need to cut /sand for the heel mag button.  They look OK.

" />
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice job on the wood grip.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Picked mine up today, the surface and overall wear is greater than what has been posted by others.  WEG said the one posted was the worst of 6 he had, my has more wear than that.

I will try to post pics later, but there are a few places on the frame down to bare aluminum, the crown of the barrel looks decent, throat looks great looks shot very very little. Grips are scuffed up and scratched. It looks like it was carried a ton, but shot very little.

I may tear it down and coat it with either ALumahyde or if I get motivated, Cerakote.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Picked mine up today, the surface and overall wear is greater than what has been posted by others.  WEG said the one posted was the worst of 6 he had, my has more wear than that.

I will try to post pics later, but there are a few places on the frame down to bare aluminum, the crown of the barrel looks decent, throat looks great looks shot very very little. Grips are scuffed up and scratched. It looks like it was carried a ton, but shot very little.

I may tear it down and coat it with either ALumahyde or if I get motivated, Cerakote.

View Quote

Post some pictures of it. Mine was the worst I have seen yet but it's a tack driver though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I put another 100 rounds through the ugly one.

100% function.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Sunlight blends some of the bare aluminum out.  I am not angry about how it looks or anything, given the price I am happy if it shoots well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am not angry about how it looks or anything, given the price I am happy if it shoots well.
View Quote

Curious as to whether yours had any rust issues, particularly on the springs?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Haven't torn it open yet.  Will this weekend, but I have a Wolf main spring for it.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Modified an M9 mag to work in the 92S

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a couple factory Beretta mags I bought brand new from Midway last month when I got the 92S.
Pretty sure they are 15-round.
The Beretta-from-Midway mags have cuts for both types of release.
They also have the plastic floorplates which I don't especially care for.

The overhang of the front lip of the metal floorplate of the converted M9 mag is greater than the overhang of the original 92S mag.
I'm not sure yet how I feel about the extra "lippage" on the M9 mag.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a couple factory Beretta mags I bought brand new from Midway last month when I got the 92S.

The overhang of the front lip of the metal floorplate of the converted M9 mag is greater than the overhang of the original 92S mag.
View Quote

I have these Midway mags too.  I think I will sand the front end of the floor plates so they are smooth but will be fine as a finger rest.  Should make quick mag changes easier-something to pull on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have these Midway mags too.  I think I will sand the front end of the floor plates so they are smooth but will be fine as a finger rest.  Should make quick mag changes easier-something to pull on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Grip screw slot-size is a whopping 0.020"

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#36]
BTW, if anybody else finds those skinny-screw-head grip screws as insufferable as I do, you can get drop-in replacement screws with larger-than-microscopic slots at http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101&products_id=801
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Another 100 rounds through the "beater" 92S today.
Rusty recoil spring and all.
Wolf WPA and Silver Bear 115 grain.
Function 100%.

All modified M9 mags tested.
Function 100%.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wolf WPA and Silver Bear 115 grain.
Function 100%.

All modified M9 mags tested.
Function 100%.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Beretta%2092S%20-%20worst%20one/92SwithM9mags_zps504035cb.jpg
View Quote

Where did you get the mags to modify? And all of my 15 round factory mags have both mag release cuts in them. Only my 17s do not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Got an email from Classic yesterday.

They say they just got a second (and last?) shipment of 92S guns.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-9mm-semi-auto-surplus-vg?utm
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#40]
SOG has "like new" (their words) specimens for $349 on the front page of their website.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Silver Bear 115 grain.
Function 100%.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought a couple of these holsters, thinking they would be just the thing for the 92S.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/deals/bf-clearance/blackhawk-beretta-92-96-right-serpa-cqc-410504bk-r.html

Ad says the holster is supposed to fit 92/96 Beretta.

Nope.

Gun won't go deep enough into holster to engage the latch.

Anybody got any info on what holster WILL actually fit the 92S?

video of gun falling out of holster.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#43]
OK, I think I got it sorted.

Sort of.

I used the DREMEL.

...and a few files, and a dental pick, and a screwdriver, and a pocket knife.

Under closer scrutiny I was able to peer through the gap between the button-lever and the holster.
There, I could see the trigger guard was coming noticeably (but not hopelessly) short of engaging the button lever.

I got out the DREMEL with the carbide mill bit and went at it.
It was really close quarters as far as getting access to the area that needed material removed.
Here is where one of those wand-type attachments might have been more nimble for the job.

I was able to cram the dremel into the holster just enough to reach the button and start cutting on it.
Actually, I'm not sure I would call it "cutting," since the plastic just heated up, and melted into a globby burr on the engagement-face of the button. That's where the files and the pocket knife came into the job. Had to use those to carve the globby burr off the engagement face.

After about a half-hour of carefully going at the plastic part with the dremel, and then making fine adjustments with the other tools, the gun finally CLICKED into place. HOOORAY!!!

The pics show a before-and-after of the work on the engagement lever.
The pic with the red arrow is the "before" pic.
The funny-looking part at the bottom is a plastic dingus that is supposed (I guess) to keep some tension against the trigger guard to mitigate any rattling of a gun that may fit a bit loosely in the holster.
I omitted that part on this job, since the gun really fits with a "smoosh-fit" into the holster, and there is absolutely zero chance of it rattling in the holster. I still have to push the gun into the holster with deliberate pressure to get it to lock into the holster. I can't just drop it into the holster as I am able to do with this same model holster and a Glock.

I guess I'm OK with how it turned out.
After all, its a $25 holster (Palmetto "clearance" item).
I can live with that.

I'd still like to get a nice leather pancake holster that FITS RIGHT for the 92S.
If anybody knows of nice leather concealment OWB holsters that they have actually tested, I'd be obliged if you would post.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I looked at these in November but got side tracked and forgot about them to recently.  PSA and Buds are out, and not sure if you have to have your FFL dealer do the ordering for SOG or not?  Anybody order one from Classic Firearms and how did it look?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#45]
There are a few units yet of nice leather Don Hume holsters available on eBay right now.

Closeout of inventory from Don Hume (business sold to Oklahoma Leather - dumping Hume-branded inventory).

$21.60.

Even though the description says the holster is for the "Brigadier" model, trust me this holster fits your 92S.
Retention snap will not close on other "full-size" 92 series Berettas that have "ambidextrous" (big fat two-sided) decocker lever.

The 92S only has a decocker lever on one side.

See http://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=1080619&postcount=6

Note:
These are RIGHT-HANDED holsters.
Do not be confused by the selfie mirror-shots that make it appear that the holster is on the left hip.
The pics show the holster on my RIGHT hip.
That's my RIGHT hand with the gun-show stamp on it.
The image you see here is the image my camera saw in the bathroom mirror.

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Fresh cerakote on the slide - magpul FDE. I was hoping for patriot brown but the guy only had FDE in stock and he gave me a great price so I couldn't refuse. I'm happy with it. $379 invested in the gun right now + $38 for two additional mags

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fresh cerakote on the slide - magpul FDE. I was hoping for patriot brown but the guy only had FDE in stock and he gave me a great price so I couldn't refuse. I'm happy with it
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_0221.jpg
View Quote

You should redo all of the black too, not just to clean it up, but to also knock some of the shine off of it.  Matte black would look good with the matte FDE and those grips.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You should redo all of the black too, not just to clean it up, but to also knock some of the shine off of it.  Matte black would look good with the matte FDE and those grips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fresh cerakote on the slide - magpul FDE. I was hoping for patriot brown but the guy only had FDE in stock and he gave me a great price so I couldn't refuse. I'm happy with it

Agreed but the guy doesn't have an FFL
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Had the "beater" 92S to the range again yesterday.

Was there mainly to mess with the sights on some other guns, but did make a point to shoot a magazine of each of these types of ammo though the 92S.

Each ran smoothly.

We'll say another 50 rounds down the pipe.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks good, I plan to get mine two-toned Cerakote as well at some point. My frame is beat to hell compared to others. I am trying to decide what color I want the slide though.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top