Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/31/2014 10:57:48 AM EDT
head over to Southern Ohio Gun.  They have them in stock for $295!

Excellent deal.  They claim they came from the Italian Police and have no wear and are unfired.  Be aware, the mag release is different than standard 92 pistols, so you'll need to purchase different mags or figure out how to mod your existing ones.  Still great for the collectors.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA for $289
Bought one

Now school me on it!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PSA for $289
Bought one

Now school me on it!

View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at the PSA guns. Are these things any good? Do they use most of the standerd "M9 GI parts" like used mags and all of that stuff from the 92FS? I was thinking it might make a fun cheap suppressor host. ADCO looks like they can thread the factory barrel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Do want, can't justify
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Aluminum frames?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Ordered one from SOG.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was looking at the PSA guns. Are these things any good? Do they use most of the standerd "M9 GI parts" like used mags and all of that stuff from the 92FS? I was thinking it might make a fun cheap suppressor host. ADCO looks like they can thread the factory barrel.
View Quote

read about mags
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered one from SOG since they state that they basically look new and unfired. The ones from PSA are a crap shoot, you may get a beater or you may get a decent looking one. Mine should be here on Wednesday. Now to buy a few extra mags.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ordered one from SOG since they state that they basically look new and unfired. The ones from PSA are a crap shoot, you may get a beater or you may get a decent looking one. Mine should be here on Wednesday. Now to buy a few extra mags.
View Quote

read this for mags
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the link. I am buying mine from here. They look to have the cut out so they should work. I went to Cableas and Academy over the weekend and they wanted $35 each for them, no way was I paying that price. I'm buying three so they would be screwing me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link. I am buying mine from here. They look to have the cut out so they should work. I went to Cableas and Academy over the weekend and they wanted $35 each for them, no way was I paying that price. I'm buying three so they would be screwing me.
View Quote

Midway for $20 or buds for $17. No sense in paying that price from 44mag

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody get their 92S in and how does it look?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I got mine yesterday from Southern Ohio Gun.....worth every red cent!  It was advertised as new and it is every bit of that!  I could believe that this gun look brand new and NEVER fired.  My advice is to get one before they are gone.  For those that saw my post regarding grips, I took a chance and bought wood grips from Midway with the medallions  and had 30 mins of dremel work for the notch out and then the opposite grip needed some light inside notching so the mag would release.  Easy work and looks now and feels like a museum piece!  BTW my gun is SA/DA and is a metal frame.
Get one you will not regret it and if you do I felt Southern Ohio Gun treated me right!
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anybody get their 92S in and how does it look?
View Quote

Picking mine up tomorrow.
Btw, my mags showed up from midway today

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Picking mine up today or tomorrow and got my mags from midway on Friday. Man I feel like Christams is here early after reading the post above about the how good the gun looks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a nice pistol for the money!
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Picked up mine
Pics later
Carried a lot, needs cerakote on the slide. Looks like it hasn't been shot a lot.
DA/SA
My FFL had another waiting to be picked up too

I'm ignorant of beretta's. Is there a serial number on the barrel?

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:51:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Have you shot it? Do you think it's worth the $$
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have you shot it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'll shoot it sunday. I've got about 250 rnds of various ammo to run through it.

I mean, a 9mm service weapon for under $300. Granted the mag release is unintuitve and hard to operate one handed but c'mon, you can't win 'em all. That said,  you should be able to find a 92FS for like $450.
Mine will strictly be a suppressor host/range toy
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I read they have been inspected at the beretta factory before being imported. Is there any need to change out the recoil springs with new ones.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I read they have been inspected at the beretta factory before being imported. Is there any need to change out the recoil springs with new ones.
View Quote

Just measure the spring on the one you get.  If it's 5" or shorter (the lentgh of the barrel when the gun is field stripped) then you need a new spring.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just measure the spring on the one you get.  If it's 5" or shorter (the lentgh of the barrel when the gun is field stripped) then you need a new spring.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put a new wolff 13# spring in my 92S last night and the OEM spring was at least 3/4" shorter than the wolff spring.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine was about 1/8" shorter than a 15 # wolff spring. The orginial was about 5-1/8 or 3/16 long. Guess you never know without checking. By the way never heard about the 5" or barrel length test, great way for a quick check while cleaning.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mine was about 1/8" shorter than a 15 # wolff spring. The orginial was about 5-1/8 or 3/16 long. Guess you never know without checking. By the way never heard about the 5" or barrel length test, great way for a quick check while cleaning.
View Quote

It's the standard Army inspection criteria.  I would replace the spring before it got there as you did. Cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#27]
where did you get the grips
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#28]

]

Nice Grips!  Who made them and are there other colors or woods to choose from?

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jayson at LOK grips. Golfball pattern, OD Brown color. One week turnaround when he received funds
A little extra $$ to get them without the standard cutout for a normal mag release. The caveat was that getting them cut with a cutout for the heel release was cost prohibitive so an hour with a dremel and some files and I cut my own heel release cutout. It isn't terribly pretty, hence why I photographed that side of the gun but it really does work.

I did speak with Keith at VZ grips first and they were unable to reprogram their machines to make them without the cutout for a normal mag release. He said they make grips in batches of 10.
Maybe he'd be open to a group buy. lol

Anyways, even with a small surcharge and shipping included, LOK grips were less than off-the-shelf, unmodified VZ grips FWIW
Quoted:

Nice Grips!  Who made them and are there other colors or woods to choose from?

LOK grips Sig, Beretta, 1911, Ruger, CZ grips.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Given that this thread is about the 92S, and by association, aftermarket grips, you should post a pic of the other side of the gun to show the mod you made to the grip for the mag release.  Regardless of how it turned out for you, there is some value to seeing the finished product.  It would help others to decide if it would be worthwhile or not before purchasing aftermarket grips and attempting it themselves (we all know how expensive grips can be).  Also, if there is something you feel you messed up during modification, explaining that will allow others to adjust their attempts so they're more successful without having to start over at square 1.  It sucks to be the guinea pig, but sometimes it is necessary and it is always definitely valuable.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Given that this thread is about the 92S, and by association, aftermarket grips, you should post a pic of the other side of the gun to show the mod you made to the grip for the mag release.  Regardless of how it turned out for you, there is some value to seeing the finished product.  It would help others to decide if it would be worthwhile or not before purchasing aftermarket grips and attempting it themselves (we all know how expensive grips can be).  Also, if there is something you feel you messed up during modification, explaining that will allow others to adjust their attempts so they're more successful without having to start over at square 1.  It sucks to be the guinea pig, but sometimes it is necessary and it is always definitely valuable.
View Quote

Fair enough.
I'll get a pic tonight.

The issue was the OEM grips have a slight curve to them kinda hugging the heel mag release. I basically made a square cut and then rounded and shaped from there. There is just more open space around the mag release than is pleasing to the eye compared to the plastic OEM grips.

Hope that makes sense until I can get a pic.

Another not is you'll need to do some relieving of the inside of the other grip b/c when you press the mag release, it protrudes from the other side of the frame.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#32]
by several vendors of the usual online suspects.

The gun I received appears to be in perfect working condition.
Much evidence of “carried a lot, and shot very little.”

The bore is excellent.
The bore was dirty when received.
At first I thought I saw a patch of pitting, which turned out to be just some hairy fouling, and which quickly disappeared after application of bronze brush and Break-Free.

Break Free is just about all I ever use to clean and maintain guns these days.
This gun got the usual robust Break-Free enema when I got into the man cave.
I mean I DROWN the gun in the stuff until it is seeping out of every crack and crevice.
A couple range trips usually shakes-out any excess, and it ensures that sufficient lube finds its way to the nether regions that would otherwise be neglected unless the owner gives it a full tear-down --- which I will not.

I field stripped the gun for the Break-Free treatment.
I did not remove the grip panels.
For whatever reason, Beretta has the notion that screw slots for grip-panel screws should be only slightly wider than a human hair.
I don’t own a screwdriver that will fit in that screw-slot, except a screwdriver I got in a kit at the drug store for fixing eyeglasses.
Removing the grips usually expedites clean-up of the Break-Free enema, but this one will just have to seep until I can get around to modifying a screwdriver to fit the grip-panel screw-slots.

The muzzle and breech look quite good.
You will see a whitish artifact from the camera at 6 o’clock in the muzzle pic.
I’m not sure what causes that artifact. There is nothing actually physically on (or wrong-with) the muzzle to explain the weird white image. Its just a flaw in the photo.

The slide engagement areas on the frame clearly show use.
I’m of the opinion that this “use” is more from repeated loading/unloading than actual firing.

The Italians actually used the lanyard loop.
You will notice that the lanyard loop shows considerable wear, and that the floorplate of the magazine has a corresponding “dent” from the hook of the lanyard loop compressing the baseplate.

Sights are miniscule, and pretty much a joke so far as a quality of aiming device.
Testament to the Italians subscribing to the notion that whoever draws and fires first usually wins, no matter whether “aiming” is really involved.
Just eyeballing it, I have to say that the horizontal edge of the front sight is slightly off-square with the vertical edge. Not that it matters, because the front sight is so short, you would never notice it in a gunfight.

None of the springs exhibited any visible wear, or decay.
The recoil spring, and recoil spring guide look immaculate.

The magazine looks like its seen a lot of handling and very little use.
The follower is made of some sort of metal alloy, and is in excellent condition, showing only a small area of wear from engagement with the magazine release lever.

I tried to get the best pics I could of the various markings.
It is interesting that the barrel has two conspicuous numbers. The “serial number” on the barrel matches the serial number on the frame of the pistol but for the upper-case letter prefix and suffix that are included on the frame of the pistol.
The second number on the barrel is very well-executed. A part number perhaps???

No range report yet.
If the weather is nice, and the world behaves, I might make it out as soon as Tuesday.
I’ll try it with some brass-case and steel-case 115 grain range ammo.
I’d be interested to know what the Italians think this gun is zeroed for – 124-grain NATO load perhaps?
Whose idea was it that all the 9mm range ammo has to be 115-grain? Can 9 grains of lead, and 0.2 grains of gunpowder really make THAT MUCH difference?

Also, I picked up a couple of the “correct” 92S genuine Beretta mags from Midway.
So, those will be tested too.
I got some 92SF mags also, but that don’t have the cutout in the right place. That will be a project for another day to modify those mags, and see if they will actually work in the 92S.

Right side
(white "smear" on frame below external trigger bar is just a reflection from the oily surface - finish is intact there)

Left side

Muzzle

Breech

Front sight

Frame wear

Frame wear 2

Serial numbers

Proof mark right side of barrel

Proof mark link lug

Proof mark frame

Grip screw and mag-release button

Hammer face

Mag well

Magazine markings

Magazine follower 1

Magazine follower 2

Magazine baseplate

/
Gun in box

Box

Box label

Below, you will see the safety-lever pitting I mentioned earlier.
Judging from the looks of the pitting, I would estimate the pitting was the result of human blood that was left on the gun after some unfortunate Italian gendarme got the palm of his hand caught between the barrel and the slide during his annual qualification.
The peril of the “open top” slide.

I traded-away my previous 92SF for three reasons:
1.I got a sweet trade on a .22 Smith and Wesson “kit gun” in excellent condition.
2.Let’s face it, the grip on any Beretta 92 series is seriously FAT for being just a 9mm, and OK… my hands just aren’t that big. But don’t believe the rumours.
3.Beretta bite. That 92SF bit the palm of my hand viciously! Yes… 100% my fault that I let it happen, but after that, I had queasy feelings about that gun.

Now, about that pitting.
When the Beretta 92 series bites, it REALLY HURTS, and you WILL BLEED.
The area of the gun where the blood from your bloody palm will land is on the back of the slide in the area of the selector.
The area of the pitting on the 92S was pretty hairy-looking (rust) when I received it, so I jabbed at it with an old copper penny until all the rust-bloom was knocked-off, and then I worked on it a bit with a dental pick to dig any residual human matter from the pits.
You will see it in the pics as a silvery-shiny (and still somewhat pitted) area.
I’ll keep Break-Free on the afflicted area, and live with it. Every service gun seems to come with a scar.

Safety pitting

Beretta bite 1

Beretta bite 2

Beretta bite 3

Beretta bite 4

Beretta bite 5

At the end of the day, I have to say that it was this picture of a couple Marines and a misbehaving skinny in Somalia that made me always want to still have a Beretta 92.

…and now I gots me one again!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_9047.jpg

Wow that actually looks really good, nice job!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_9047.jpg

Thanks.
I need to "ramp" or angle the top left portion b/c currently, the release sits about at the same level as the grip so it's easy to try to depress it and not get it all the way.
Work in progress fo sho.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#36]
hey guys
i ordered one of these from Buds and it was not as good shape as the others but internals are pretty much new. my slide has rust on the left side of the slide and maybe 20% bluing left.

just a heads up
if your looking for magazines i just ordered 10 from this side. the are used but for 15 bucks you cant go wrong. all 10 looks to me in VG+ condition with a couple looking to be new.
when you order from them tell them to make use they are the European style (they will know what you are talking about).
good people to deal with.
http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/mags.asp
Whos2kno

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#37]
PSA dropped them to $259

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I just bought one from PSA today for black friday.... Never ordered a gun online before. It showed a list of FFLs in my area and I just picked one i shop at alot. Do I need to notify them that I am sending the gun there or do I just go in and do a 4473 and pick it up?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Here is my attempt at using CDNN Factory Beretta 92SB Wood Grips - ($29.99)
CDNN Beretta 92SB walnut Factory Grips

" />" />

First I modeled after the grips that were on mine (FYI - The ones on it are from a very Early Taurus 92 and they do fit, except note the cut out on top where the Taurus safety would be.

" />
" />

Then I dremeled away - It didnt come out as clean as I wanted, but not bad and the normal mag release relief isn't excessively noticable
You do have to relieve the inside of the right side grip for the mag button to move.

" />
" />
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Do all the PSA pistols look rough?  I'm thinking about ordering one or spend $40 extra at SOG for a nice one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Has anyone got their pistol from PSA yet?  What kind of shape was it in?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Mine will be here Tuesday and I will report back
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Mine is from PSA
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I have had the occasion to inspect six of these guns from PSA.

Half of them were pretty darn nice.

Two others had some significant finish wear, and a few small rust spots.

Not sure what the PO's issue was regarding never cleaning the interior of the magazines.
I encountered quite a few large lint balls. Its not like it takes any more than 5 seconds and a ball-point pen to disassemble Beretta mag for cleaning.

The last one looked like it had been subjected to some abuse and neglect.
There was a ding on the muzzle, but not intruding into the rifling. However, there was some light rust that did intruded into the rifling.
I didn't get a chance to pull the mainspring for the hammer, but I did notice corrosion on the recoil spring and on the magazine spring.
I kind of want to completely strip one of these guns down to all the pins and springs. I think this one is a good candidate.
I will probably make that one my range bitch. It will probably outlast me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Ordered a Black Friday special from PSA and picked it up today. Slightly peeved they charged me sales tax although they were advertising it as a tax free day, gun is in rougher shape than I anticipated, as can be seen in the pictures. Various nicks and scratches. If I had a mulligan, I'd spend 20 bucks more and order from another vendor that advertised better condition. Also peeved they wouldn't let me select one in better shape since I picked it up at their warehouse.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Yours seems to be in better shape then mine. See post below.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#47]
So PSA pistol came into as well. It seems pretty beat up with lots of carry wear. The SOG pistols definitely seem to be better for the extra $30 No rust that I found so far. I did the pen trick at the LGS and the firing pin shot it into the ceiling. Guy running my paperwork was not to happy.
Overall I think I am happy with it. It would be cool to see if we could find history on it. See when it was made.
only thing I am upset about is whoever took the grips off has no idea how to use a screwdriver and should be hit with it repeatedly.

</a>Untitled by 1911xmd, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah that one is definitely more beat up than mine. Guess I can't bitch too much.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah that one is definitely more beat up than mine. Guess I can't bitch too much.
View Quote

I never had to pay sales tax on it but I did have a $25 charge from my FFL to run my CCW.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#50]
What are the trigger pulls like on these guns - DA and SA?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top