Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2014 2:21:33 PM EDT
I've been wanting an M9 for a while now, but I noticed something when I got to look at one the other day. I'm left-handed so I do not use the slide stop to put the slide back into battery after reloading, I use the slingshot method. However I noticed on the M9 I engaged the safety when I grasped the rear of the slide to sling shot it back in to battery. Is that just a screw up on my part or is it a problem for some?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The way the lever is designed on the 92 creates more of a tendency to do this than, say the S&W third gens (5906, etc).  The way the leg sits, and the way the slide is shaped doesn't help the issue.  

It can be trained out.  There are several methods to it.  Grasping the slide at the switch so you're actually using the switch to help pull the slide back and when you do so, you have to put some up-force on the switch at the same time, works.  Trying to avoid the switch all together is hard, as there's not much real estate on the slide you can use.  So if you actually position your hand so you use the switch in a way that you are preventing the inadvertent switching is one way to go.  Another is to "karate chop" the breech face through the ejection area.  I've seen the Marines train that, but I wouldn't try it without some good gloves.  That breech face is sharp and it will indeed tear your hand up if you try it bare handed.  

Another procedure is to switch it off every time you draw, or reload.  

Another option is a 92G, which is the same gun with a decock-only switch that springs back into the fire position and eliminates this all together.  I believe Wilson offers a G conversion, but I don't know anything about it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#2]
It is the downside to the M9.  You have to learn to swipe the safety off every time you bring it up for a sight picture.  Just assume it's engaged until you swipe.  

It's the same for carrying.  You could decock and holster and then assume you're GTG on the draw, but the safety could engage under your clothes without you knowing.  So, you have to just check every time you bring it up.  It doesn't take overly long though.  Some would say it's a detriment.  It's one more thing to remember yes.  But hopefully if we practice to do it, we'll remember to when we need to.  Every system has it's upsides and downsides.  At least from what I can gather.  The M9 has a lot of upsides, IMHO.  One of them is that it is an extremely easy gun to shoot accurately.  And carries a lot of ammo.  And feels good in the hands.  And mine has the most amount of rounds of any pistol I have and has never ever choked.  Not once.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently bought a like new M9 slide through another forum and it had a Wilson Combat low profile safety/decocker installed. I think I may end up installing these on my other two 92FS pistols, as it reduces the chance of inadvertently decocking the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
You can train around it, when I first got a beretta I did it a few times, but you figure out a way to do it right when you spend some time with it. Then there is the 92g model, it's decock only and automatically springs up to fire. These were rarer for a few years, but they are selling them new again now. On a carry gun my choice would be to get the agw or Wilson combat low profile safety switches or get your fs converted into a g model also.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used my 92FS for years in USPSA & have never, ever once engaged the safety when sling shotting the slide. I usually grab my slide just behind the chamber, so I manage to keep my hand far away from the safety lever.

As has been mentioned, it's easy to train away from doing it.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
No experience with them, but Allegheny Gun Works offers a G conversion.  The G version is the decocker only.

http://alleghenygunworks.com/index.php/services-packages

Wilson Combat also sells a low profile safety that might help.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used my 92FS for years in USPSA & have never, ever once engaged the safety when sling shotting the slide. I usually grab my slide just behind the chamber, so I manage to keep my hand far away from the safety lever.

As has been mentioned, it's easy to train away from doing it.

My .o2
View Quote

Agreed. I never had an issue with any of the 92F pistols I used on duty. The Wilson low profile levers are pretty slick, though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Never been an issue with me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Somebody mentioned the marines and hitting the breech face with their gloves.  That seems interesting.  To me, reloads after slide lock are not the times that is a big issue.  Because you can easily do the slide stop or sometimes I even grab the slide further up.  Like over the chamber, overhanded.   The slant on the front of the slide makes a natural place for the heel of your hand to get some traction.  The only downside is that is probably not a wise way to do malfunction clearing drills because then your hand is much closer to the muzzle when the slide is more forward.  As opposed to being locked back from running dry.  Does anybody else overhand towards the front or is that just dumb?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as you pay attention to what you are doing you should be okay.  When I run my 92fs using my support hand/side during re-loads I use my index finger to drop the magazine and ensure I grip the slide forward of the de-cocking levers to sling shot the slide home, never been an issue and I use gloves approximately 75% of the time.  Most things can be overcome by training, repetition and a positive mental attitude.  Good luck brother and I hope it works for ya, the Beretta 92fs/M9 platform is sweet IMHO/experience!  ETA content.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I always slingshot and have never had that problem. If you cannot slingshot it reliably without causing that problem I would convert it to a G decocker only.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:48:11 AM EDT
[#12]
We actually designed the low pro levers that WC is now producing. Either the G conversion or low safety would be good choices to get you to stop dropping that hammer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I might have to check one of those levers out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one for a few years, but I had the same issue. One of my friends was looking for his first gun a few months ago, so I gave him that one for $1, since he always wanted one. He said he doesn't have that problem.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm left handed and release the slide stop with my trigger finger. Learned it from carrying a 1911 for many years.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We actually designed the low pro levers that WC is now producing. Either the G conversion or low safety would be good choices to get you to stop dropping that hammer.
View Quote

Could you guys do the G conversion with the low safety?  I don't see any reason why not, just wanted to verify.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Hold slide, push frame forward.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Loop your index finger around the safety holding it in the off position.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#19]
G-mode is the only way to fly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I started using the curved portion on the front of the slide to disengage the slide stop. It works great and is actually a little faster.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No experience with them, but Allegheny Gun Works offers a G conversion.  The G version is the decocker only.

http://alleghenygunworks.com/index.php/services-packages

Wilson Combat also sells a low profile safety that might help.
View Quote

I have had quite a bit of work performed by Josh at AGW and it has always been first class.

Thanks,

Don
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top