Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 5:46:02 PM EDT
I know about the frame cracking issues already, and have little concern about that, as long as I obtain a current production model and use proper ammunition.  I know that the caliber is not a good defense round, and have that need covered by other firearms that I own. I may carry it on occasion, but not often.  

The thing is, I used to have two different Bobcat/21a models, one in ..22 and one in .25, and always loved them. I found them to be unnaturally accurate for their size.  Now I think the Tomcat looks pretty awesome.  Plus I have always been drawn to well made pocket-size pistols for some reason, and I currently don't own one.  Every time I see one in the LGS, I stop and stare at it like a kid in a toy store. I am also considering a few other options in the size/caliber range, but right now just want to focus on personal experiences that others have had with their 3032's.

edited for fatfinger spelling
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of the frame cracking issues.  It is a carry often shoot rarely category with me. My first and third round is a Glaser Safety Slug.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually thought of doing more or less the same.  At least having a Glaser in the pipe.  Many would disagree, but I think they have their place for SD.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on who you ask the .32 ACP is better than the 380 as an SD round.  

If you had a good current gun, and good ammo I would fo.

Coworker carries a KT 32 and it is an accurate little gun I wouldnt want shot with.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Apparently Beretta recommends no more than 130 lb/ft of muzzle energy.  Many of the European loads are around 170, but I suspect barrel length is a factor.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I couldn't find an Inox like I wanted, and decided against the blued one I saw.  Lots of dealers said that they are discontinued, but I still see it featured on the Beretta website.  It's OK, tough, because I stumbled across a good price on a P938 and bought it instead.  I still want a Tomcat or a Bobcat eventually.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't recommend it.  Too outdated of a design, heavy for a .32ACP.  Why not try a Beretta Pico instead?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#8]
That occurred to me.  So many guns, so little time.  I guess the design, admittedly dated, has a nostalgic appeal to me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't buy one... I have seen TONs of reports of the cracking issue - even on the tougher Inox ones that are supposedly less likely to break because of a thicker slide.

I've seen many posts at the Beretta forum of people having the gun replaced by Beretta, and then the replacement gun breaks. So, they get the third gun and just sell it, unfired.... Get a Keltec 32 or a Ruger version of it in 380 - the LCP.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy one... I have seen TONs of reports of the cracking issue - even on the tougher Inox ones that are supposedly less likely to break because of a thicker slide.

I've seen many posts at the Beretta forum of people having the gun replaced by Beretta, and then the replacement gun breaks. So, they get the third gun and just sell it, unfired.... Get a Keltec 32 or a Ruger version of it in 380 - the LCP.
View Quote

I would...but I have to like a gun before I will own one, and I just don't feel it for those selections.  I might consider a Seecamp, but that will be down the road.

I really don't understand the heavy slide redesign, either.  Why couldn't Beretta just strengthen the part of the frame that was weak?  Seems odd... Obviously I don't understand the physics of it, but a heavier slide would seem to have more momentum hitting the frame during the firing cycle.  I thought the slim slide looked better anyway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I had two Tomcracks (blue version). Sold them as spare parts and yes, the buyers knew exactly what they were getting. No way I am going to talk you into it. Additionally, Beretta offered Zero help whatsoever.

Yg
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
That's unfortunate.  I would expect better from Beretta.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a 21A that I bought new in '87 and a model 84 acquired recently.
The 21 is great.
The 84 is fun to shoot but with the aluminum frame you can't run hot loads.
When I got it the slide wouldn't come off. Seems there is a spot where the slide hammers the frame and traps the guide rod if you run hot loads.
I fixed it and it runs great.
Joys of an alloy frame.  

ETA: shot it again and got the same problem. Ordered a heavier recoil spring for it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I really wish I still had a 21.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top