Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 7:37:11 PM EDT
I bought an M9 for use (mainly) as a dry fire analog for EIC competition training. It's brand new and I have a few mags, both new plastic baseplate mags and some with the metal baseplate that are used.

Dry firing, I've had inconsistent manual lockbacks and the slide dropping when I drop a mag. I can rack the slide over and over again without that slide catching.

Is this a non-issue? Every other gun I've ever used has locked back without issue when cycled by hand.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
misread OP - remove

Extra ETA I'd be concerned if my pistol didn't lock back on an empty mag cycled by hand.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
After playing with it, I'm wondering if the slide catch lever spring is too stiff.

It functions fine without the slide on, the follower catches the slide catch lever and there's no issue. With the slide on, the catch presses the follower down. Moving the slide fully to the rear the slide catch lever doesn't move up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Used new?

Either way I would check the slide stop spring.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Used new?
Either way I would check the slide stop spring.
View Quote

New new.

I just really hate sending in guns and have gone to great lengths to not do it for others. Maybe I'll give Beretta a call after this weekend's TAG match. I need it for dry fire until then.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
That's odd. As always, shoot the gun a lot to train for EIC matches. Hopefully, it will wear in.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Does it happen with all mags or only certain ones? It sounds like the follower isn't pushing up enough on the slide stop or it's tilting in the mag body.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My slide-locking issues with Berettas have always with the mag springs, even on new mags. Try a set of Wolff +power springs in a few of your mags before you send it back to Beretta.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to ask, are you riding the slide stop with your thumb?  It's easy to do on the M9/92 with your right thumb.  When I first got mine, I did and it caused the slide to go home a lot after the last round was fired.  I could see a person doing it just cycling the pistol too if you weren't really aware of it.  

That's where I'd look first.  If not, then the mags, and then the slide stop spring.  And then the slide stop itself.   My guess is it's the first thing.  It is very common.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have to ask, are you riding the slide stop with your thumb?  It's easy to do on the M9/92 with your right thumb.  When I first got mine, I did and it caused the slide to go home a lot after the last round was fired.  I could see a person doing it just cycling the pistol too if you weren't really aware of it.  

That's where I'd look first.  If not, then the mags, and then the slide stop spring.  And then the slide stop itself.   My guess is it's the first thing.  It is very common.
View Quote

I'm very familiar with the M9. I've been shooting them in National Guard competitions since 2011, and in fact placed 4th in the NH TAG match this weekend. (Won first overall )

This gun hasn't been fired yet. I'm using it for dry firing. So no, it has nothing to do with riding the slide catch during fire.
To add to that, I can manually cycle the slide several times before it will catch.

Also, I used my mags this weekend and had no issues with them in the issued guns for competition.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, oooops.  I didn't know you had all that experience.  More than I do.  I've put a few rounds through mine.  It's a great gun.  So, yeah, it's not something I've seen yet.  A lot of guys have asked about the slide not locking back and many times it's the thumbs forward grip or high thumbs riding the slide stop.  Which I did too when I first got mine.  

Forget my advice and carry one.  Although it does make sense that it might be the spring or the slide stop itself.  Which would kind of suck.  But I would imagine you could get a replacement.  But starting with the spring makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK, oooops.  I didn't know you had all that experience.  More than I do.  I've put a few rounds through mine.  It's a great gun.  So, yeah, it's not something I've seen yet.  A lot of guys have asked about the slide not locking back and many times it's the thumbs forward grip or high thumbs riding the slide stop.  Which I did too when I first got mine.  

Forget my advice and carry one.  Although it does make sense that it might be the spring or the slide stop itself.  Which would kind of suck.  But I would imagine you could get a replacement.  But starting with the spring makes sense.
View Quote

No issue. I had a lot of problems getting used to the Sig slide catch when I was working in their r&d group so I understand the problem.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Try actually shooting it a bit, and then see what happens. Recoil spring may break in a bit and then magic - the slide may stay open when you do your practice at home. Too many variables, when it is an item made to actually shoot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Are the mags New and/or factory.  Could be the mag spring is weak if it's not new.  Try shoot for with left hand maybe?  I can do both, and I think I may do the thumb swipe against the slide release too right handed on occasion, but am normally left handed so doesn't happen to me regularly otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I fired ~350 Rds through it Sunday. I'm having the same problems in live-fire. And it happened with all 4 mags. Not every time, but occasionally.

And for all you TL:DR folks, I had 2 USED FACTORY and 2 NEW FACTORY mags. This problem has occurred with all 4 at one point.

I have one mag I know is a problem mag, a used GI mag. I had a couple failures to feed during the last match, and 1 this weekend in training. All were easily cleared by slapping the rear of the slide.

Quoted:
Are the mags New and/or factory.  Could be the mag spring is weak if it's not new.  Try shoot for with left hand maybe?  I can do both, and I think I may do the thumb swipe against the slide release too right handed on occasion, but am normally left handed so doesn't happen to me regularly otherwise.
View Quote

Please read the thread
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe the slide stop is overly worn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top