Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 3:48:42 AM EDT
How many Beretta 92 owners out there have swapped out the "D spring" for a reduced weight?  Of those who did swap them, which weight, 16 or 18, did you choose and what was the result?  From what I've read 18's are the most common because 16's sometimes cause light strikes.

I don't know anything about swapping springs in these guns but I've read it makes a big difference in trigger pull.  I have a Beretta 92A1 that I've had a couple years but haven't shot it very much.  From what time I have had shooting it I have definitely come to love the gun so I want to do what I can to improve it.  I'm swamped with medical bills and can't afford any expensive upgrades which is why I'm considering the spring swap, from what I've read the spring is really cheap and it can be done easily at home.

So, who's swapped theirs out? Did you use a 16 or 18? And was it a noticeable positive difference?  

Any advice on the subject appreciated.  I'm assuming Wolf is the brand to go with or are there other brands that are good?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
David Olhasso sells a competition mainspring.  I've been using it with an Elite II hammer in a boring plain jane 92FS and it's popped every primer I've tried, all domestic.  I'm unsure if the weight on it though, and though there is a difference between it and the Beretta "D" spring, it's not as dramatic as going from the standard spring to the "D" spring.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
If I remember correctly 18 is the factory weight for the D spring,it is super easy to change out.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the factory spring was a 20? Most of what I've seen was people going to an 18 because the 16 had light strikes in some cases.  Since this is primarily a home defense gun I don't want to go too light which is why I was leaning towards the 18 if I change it out at all.

Hopefully there will be more people who post what they used and how they like it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The "D" is the specific the 18 lb mainspring used in the D-variant, double action only Berettas.  Standard weight for the DA/SA pistols is 20 lbs.  So, many folks will swap IN the "D spring" for the standard weight mainspring on their M9 or 92FS for a lighter but still duty serviceable trigger pull.   I have and have never had an issue with commercial or military 9mm ammo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah...ok, that explains it then. Thanks

So now I just need a D spring, are they all pretty much the same or is there a specific brand I should go with?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used both factory and Wollf never noticed any difference between the 2.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#7]
If you go lower than the D spring weight, and you have a skeletonized hammer, you do risk some light strikes. I would not go lower than the D spring on any Beretta you might use for self defense, personally.

On the Beretta Forum, some people have reported some light strikes once you break the lighter spring in. So, it doesn't necessarily happen right away, but down the line...
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a factory D spring and an elite II hammer in my 92a1 and I haven't had any issues.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a factory D spring and an elite II hammer in my 92a1 and I haven't had any issues.
View Quote

Yea, that will work all day long. Over the years, I've owned at least fifteen 92 variants. All have had a D spring and most had an ELite II hammer. Never an issue. It's when you start going lighter it can happen after a while.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info,  I'll be swapping the factory spring for a D spring.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info,  I'll be swapping the factory spring for a D spring.
View Quote

You could always cut two coils off your factory spring and get nearly the same results...
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I purchased a used M9 that does not appear to have been fired much at all.  The double action trigger pull is amazing.  That is the only way to describe it.  I have a Mk25 that I have replaced the mainspring in it with a 18lb.  That trigger is much better, but no where near as smooth or light as the M9.  I don't know what the person did to this one before I bought it but it is REALLY GREAT.  Fired all types of ammo.  Hard primers and never a light strike in several hundred rounds so far.  

Planned on swapping it out when I bought it but now I am not sure if it has already been done.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make sure you bump up your recoil spring by 2-3lbs to compensate for the lowering of the mainspring resistance of the slide cycle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Make sure you bump up your recoil spring by 2-3lbs to compensate for the lowering of the mainspring resistance of the slide cycle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is first time I've heard of having to change another spring when swapping for a D spring.  Did everyone else do that?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is first time I've heard of having to change another spring when swapping for a D spring.  Did everyone else do that?
View Quote

Think about it. When one lessens the resistance (mainspring) to the slide's velocity during cycling, the slide picks up velocity. An uptick in velocity results in (eventual) frame battering. So what one wants to do is lower that velocity back to the originally designed speed. And one does that by bumping up the recoil spring by a bit.

To use some trite sayings, "there's no free lunch", "robbing Peter to pay Paul", yadda yadda yadda.

Recoil springs are cheap insurance against battering. They're what, $8-10 or so? What's a broken locking block cost these days? Or (heaven forbid) a feeding jam in a self-defense situation because the slide was too fast to properly strip & feed the fresh rd into the chamber?

I've been using my FS for USPSA (off & on) for over 10 years now. I'm still using the original locking block & the frame shows no peening at all.

But it's certainly your gun, obviously you can do with it as you please.

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:07:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I totally get what you're saying but your the first one I've ever heard that from so of course I'm going to ask others if they did it too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I totally get what you're saying but your the first one I've ever heard that from so of course I'm going to ask others if they did it too.
View Quote

You sound like my dates.......................    
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought the steel kit with the D spring, steel trigger and also skeletonized hammer. Not a single issue with CCi primers.  I suggest buying an American wishbone style pin in place of the roll pin for the lanyard loop.  Didn't care much to have to hammer out mine.  Wishbone pin requires no tools whatsoever later on. Swapped that on my 92A1, and I've been told the Italian models come with roll pins.

My DA trigger is just shy of 8 lbs and the single I think is down to 4, iirc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought the steel kit with the D spring, steel trigger and also skeletonized hammer. Not a single issue with CCi primers.  I suggest buying an American wishbone style pin in place of the roll pin for the lanyard loop.  Didn't care much to have to hammer out mine.  Wishbone pin requires no tools whatsoever later on. Swapped that on my 92A1, and I've been told the Italian models come with roll pins.

View Quote

That's a good suggestion, I've read several posts about the roll pins being a PITA.  Mine is an Italian made 92A1, so it probably has the PITA pin.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Next to certain 92A1 is only made in Italy so I can just about guarantee it will have a roll pin. Brownell's was the only place that sold the *official* part. UD5A0075.  The part is cheap like $3.34 when I bought so perhaps see if you possibly take advantage of a free shipping coupon if you have other stuff to order...
When you remove the pin make sur and you use the proper tools. It's painful to watch someone using the wrong stuff!

Right now, my A1 is almost to the point of the Wilson Combat pistol.  Since I'm left handed, the safety lever from them would be no good.  I'm basically just shy of getting FO sights, since I also swapped my grips.  Might go ahead and snag theirs, they look nice :).
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Roll pins aren't that big of a deal, IMO. What I do is not remove the pin entirely, only 95% or so. By leaving the end of the pin in the frame (or slide), I don't have to deal with the PITA of starting the roll pin back into the hole.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Roll pins aren't that big of a deal, IMO. What I do is not remove the pin entirely, only 95% or so. By leaving the end of the pin in the frame (or slide), I don't have to deal with the PITA of starting the roll pin back into the hole.
View Quote

Sound advice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I installed the D spring on my wife's 92FS.  It's changed it from a gun that I liked but couldn't shoot well, to a laser beam shooter.  I'm working on getting a Beretta for me now w/ a D spring.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, swapped out the recoil spring for one that was 2 pounds heavier.

ETA:  Ours (Italian INOX) also had a roll pin.  Was kind of a PITA to get it lined up again, but hardly a show stopper.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I swapped the Wilson Combat D spring and Short Reach Trigger in and took it to the range the other night. The trigger feels soo much better. The only PITA part was getting that roll pin out since I have an Italian version. I didnt have access to a punch and vice so I made do using an allen wrench on the counter. Took a some effort to get it moving but I eventually knocked that sucker out.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Reduced-Power-Hammer-Spring-16-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/642/
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

hceuterpe, did you install all of it? Was the trigger and hammer difficult?
I watched the video above and the mainspring didn't look difficult but I guess I need to find a video for the trigger/hammer install.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Hammer installs in the Beretta series of guns are about as easy as it gets.  They are probably the easiest hammer fired gun to work on.

The hammer literally drops right in with the removal of just a few screws/pins, its pretty awesome.

In regard to mainspring weight.  I am using a 19 pound ed brown hammer spring with the factory hammer.  I have experienced a few light strikes with commercially RELOADED ammo, ie freedom munitions but i have also been experiencing a high failure rate with their ammo, around 5%.

My reloads with federal and CCI primers run GREAT through the gun.  I would say pending NATO or combloc primers, a 20# 1911 hammer spring would be bitching darned reliable.  For self defense purposes i will not deviate from OEM and would stick to a D spring.

Lastly, i went the opposite, i run 11 lb recoil springs in my guns setup for competition and have experienced zero frame battering in 960 rounds.  Now, i AM running 132k power factor ammo but for most people running factory ammo, WWB isnt loaded much hotter than that so i dont really see the need to increase recoil spring weight if you're shooting factory plinking fodder.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I actually talked to Beretta a few years ago about the D spring, reliabilty, and longevity.  

They said there was absolutely NO reason to install a heavier recoil spring, and recommended against it.  

They Said the D spring did not increase frame or slide battering.  

They said they had not observed any reliabilty issues with the D spring.  

Myself, I run the factory spring because I can run the gun just fine with it and I think it's a better spring.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I did the 16 spring and the skel hammer in my last 2 Berettas. Works great.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#31]
This past weekend i went ahead and installed an Elite II skeletonized hammer.

My light strikes went away but i only shot 400 rounds so more testing is due.

Also, for anyone working on these guns, do NOT apply grease to the trigger bar where it interfaces with the sear/disconnector.  It causes your reset to become a mush factory. :)
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I installed the Beretta factory D spring in two 92F's and a 92FC.  They have worked great.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I've ran the D spring in mine for years.  Elite II hammer and Wolf unbreakable trigger spring.  No problems, ever.

IMO you don't need to change the recoil spring.  The 92D has the D hammer spring and the same stock spring as the 92FS and it doesn't batter itself to death.

The key is preventive maintenance.  Check for cracks in the block and slide regularly, and change the recoil spring out before it gets shorter than 5" (the length of the barrel when you have it field stripped).  If you change the recoil spring out before it gets too short, you won't get into battering.  Some folks use a round count for changing out the spring, and that works too.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I swapped out my standard mainspring for the D and started having failures to feed. Went back to the regular spring and all is well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I swapped out my standard mainspring for the D and started having failures to feed. Went back to the regular spring and all is well.
View Quote

What kind of ammo were you using?  You would have to significantly speed up the slide velocity in order to experience issues like that...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is strange, you are the first person out of all of the people I've seen on this topic who's said they had issues when installing just the D spring.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:46:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I didn't buy my 92 for performance, bought it to get better with the garbage I am issued... Nothing has been changed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#38]
It was weird to me too. The gun ran fine before. I shot everything before and after. NATO spec 124 gr, Blazer brass 115, federal HST 147, WWB, Remington, you name it. All ran smooth. Put in the D spring and nothing would feed. Went back and it runs like a champ now. Assembled correctly, didn't limp wrist etc. It makes no sense at all but I thought I'd share.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#39]
So now I just need a D spring.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I swapped to the D spring in my 92fs. No problems, and trigger is improved. Not dramatically, but noticable.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I've installed the "D" spring.  I'm glad I did, it really improved the double action trigger pull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top