Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 3:43:12 PM EDT
As the title states I just bought a 96D came with 3 11 round mags. It was a police trade in for $300 OTD. She is my first Berretta. Anything that I should be aware of problem wise? She needs a real good cleaning and inspection though. Night sites are pretty dam dim, maybe a new set in the future?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Trijcon will re-lamp the sights for under $75. You should replace the recoil spring with a 15# extra power one from Wolff and swap the locking block out with a new 3rd generation before putting any real rounds down range. The standard 96's are great guns but beat themselves up pretty good under the recoil of the .40. Do the maintenance listed and then swap recoil springs every 5k rounds and she should last you a LONG time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Found me a gen 3 locking block kit from beretta and she's on the way. Now just gotta send the slide to Trijicon for the sights.  Anything else?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Only thing I'll add is that MecGar makes flush fit 13 rounders for them that work fine, if you are so inclined.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As the title states I just bought a 96D came with 3 11 round mags. It was a police trade in for $300 OTD. She is my first Berretta. Anything that I should be aware of problem wise? She needs a real good cleaning and inspection though. Night sites are pretty dam dim, maybe a new set in the future?
View Quote

Replace the recoil spring and replace the locking block. The 40S&W is pretty hot and the original 92 design was not intended for that cartridge. A lot of police 96's ran into durability issues because they didn't regularly change recoil springs and let the gun beat itself to death.

If you want to shoot it a lot, I would recommend replacing recoil springs every 3000 rounds or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top