Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2014 7:43:28 AM EDT
Got a police trade in today. 1999. She was a bit dirty and a little beat up but the price was right....Cleaned her up. Did the best I could...Didn't bother taking out the extractor or anything on the slide. Don't feel comfortable... Still gotta test her out. The finish might be a little rough and the grips a little chewed, but I bought this as a beater/range gun. Maybe I'll refinish the gun later, idk. Lol.

Any recommendations for this guy?

D spring? Elite II hammer?

Probably plan on new grips and what not.

BTW, the night sights are dead (obviously). What options do I have for them? Recharged? Replace? White paint them?

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe you can send the slide in to Trijicon and they replace them, you have to pay of course.

Typically, the common mods are the 'D' spring and the Elite hammer, but some people also go for the wolff trigger spring conversion. I carry a 92F as my duty pistol, and only went with the 'D' spring. Rumor has it the Elite hammer and the D spring can cause light primer strikes, but I haven't seen anyone actually have any issues.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Your Beretta looks great, doubt it's seen 1,000rds in it's life, just going from the lack of visable wear on the barrel and the rear frame-rails.  Take some Hoppes or soap and water to both the front and rear sights and voila:  the white-dots surrounding the vials re-appear!  The only thing that gun needs is a very good cleaning, top to bottom.    Good luck
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I still regret passing on a $300 trade-in 92FS a couple of years back.  It was built just a few years ago and had new Trijicon sights.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Send to trijicon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a cop, but I would think after using a gun for years and years and years I would keep it, even for sentimental value.  Do they have to turn them in?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input fellas!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Any pd markings on it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice find. Definitely do the D spring, great improvement for cheap. I like the used marks it adds character. I'm guessing the LEO had an ASP or flashlight on his belt right behind the holster and tore up the grip. Either that or he was left handed and bumped into a LOT of things.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks that grip experienced a little road rash or something at one point.  Nice find - the D spring is a good improvement - other than that I would not do too much.  VZ makes grips for these now that are nice.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any pd markings on it?
View Quote

Just the p markings.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
mind if I ask how much you paid for it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not a cop, but I would think after using a gun for years and years and years I would keep it, even for sentimental value.  Do they have to turn them in?
View Quote

Depends on the PD and the cop. Keep in mind, the vast majority of cops ARE NOT gun guys. To them, it is just a tool necessary for the job. Most cops have no interest in guns and will not shoot any more than the Dept mandates and are barely competent with their guns. I can say that with some authority because I am an instructor at my PD and see it all the time. Last year, I bought an older 92FS and an ancient, beat up 1st Gen G17 from the PD I work for. We were going to Gen4 G22s and the Chief was letting those of us that wanted to buy the old guns for the trade in price we would have gotten from the distributor. Both of the guns I bought came from guys that retired and turned them in because they did not want them, even though they had carried them for YEARS. They were not gun guys and could not have cared less about keeping their guns, even though, with my PD, you are gifted your issued duty gun if you wanted it upon retirement.

Then, you have large Depts that will issue a new duty gun and will take back all the older guns and not give the cops an option to keep or buy them. They will trade in older guns just to get the trade in price reduction on the new guns. Administrators usually aren't gun guys, either, and it is all about the bottom line.

OP, not a bad looking gun. Change springs (especially the recoil spring since you have no idea how many rounds the gun has through it), shoot it and enjoy. I'm kinda curious about replacing tritium vials, too, since the 92FS I mentioned that I bought has night sights that are almost dead. They are so dim that it takes almost complete darkness to see them.

Bub75
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#13]
What *I* would do:

1) Swap in a DAO spring as the others suggest.

2) Swap in a reduced power trigger return spring. (This is only if you have a METAL trigger, BTW.)

3) Swap out the recoil spring & go UP by 2-3lbs over OEM stock rating. This does two things: keeps the frame battering to a minimum & makes up for the lesser resistance when dropping the mainspring weight. Win-win all around.

All these springs can be ordered from Wolff Gun Springs for less than $20 the last time I looked.

FWIW, the 92 series guns are capable of incredible accuracy when the shooter does his/her part. I've made shots @ 50 yards (not feet, yards) using cheap PMC FMJ ammo. Keep the gun clean, keep it well oiled & it will amaze you with its performance.

I too second using the VZ-style grips. I went with Mil-Tac grips on all of my 92's, FWIW.

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sometimes officers don't have the choice to keep their sidearm.    Deals are made on new firearms, and that is often contingent on the company receiving a certain number of used guns in trade.      Some departments will sell the firearm to the officer at the same price that the company offered to pay for the trade in.     Other depts or companies don't care and simply make the trade without thought of sentimental value.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish I could have purchased my last two duty guns, I liked my 9mm from 15 years ago  I had turn it in when we switched to 45.  Then I had to turn in my old 45 when we went to a newer model.  My various chiefs preferred to trade in the guns rather than give us the chance to buy them.  Yes, carrying a gun daily for years and using that gun to save your life can result in a sentimental value.  It depends on the agency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top