Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2014 10:38:55 PM EDT
I just got a brand new M9A1 and I'm having an issue with the mags.

I've tested 6 Beretta made 15rd mags with the PVD finish.  All are brand new.  I haven't lubed anything yet; still factory lube.  Haven't shot it yet either.

Mags 1,2,3: Drop free fully loaded (15rds) or less
Mags 4, 5: Drop free as long as there's 14rds or less
Mag 6: Drop free as long as there's 9rds or less

Is this indicative of anything wrong with my Beretta?  If so, how should I get it fixed?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you shot it at all? I have never had an issue dropping any mags, pvd coated or mec gar.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sticky mag release.  The bullets are pushing down against the mag release.  Just there a theory.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Got calipers? Measure the widths of the magazines loaded and unloaded.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  Would shooting it potentially fix it?

Not sure how I'd ID a sticky mag release.  I will say though, the mag release is somewhat harder to push in than my Glock 17.  Feels a bit rough too.  However, the G17 is my only frame of reference so this might not be much.

I don't have calipers but this was my main theory, that it was bulging.  If this is the cause, then what can I do about it?  If it was just one magazine out of a pile I'd just modify the magazine, but since this happens with the vast majority of magazines I feel like it'd be best to modify the gun itself.

Edit:

Tried 2 more mags for a total of 6.

Mags 1,2,3: Drop free fully loaded (15rds) or less
Mags 4, 5: Drop free as long as there's 14rds or less
Mag 6: Drop free as long as there's 9rds or less
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  Would shooting it potentially fix it?
View Quote

Hard to say without looking at it but it couldn't hurt. I'm assuming they all drop free when empty?

I'd put some rds downrange and see if you can repeat the problem.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
With an empty/unloaded pistol...
Run your finger along the inside of the magazine well, right under each grip screw. Check for a grip screw that may be a bit long and protruding into the magazine well. A slightly long screw will drag on the magazine body, preventing free movement.

If you find one...
Remove the grip screw and ensure it has the factory washer underneath. It may be missing or you just got a screw that is  a tiny bit longer. Add a washer where needed or on a long screw, file a small amount off of the tip so that it no longer drags on the magazine body.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#7]
FWIW OP look inside of the mag well and see if any of the stock aka grip material is protruding into the mag well.  On my 92fs there was a piece of the plastic stock/grip material (from the factory molding I suppose) that was sticking into the mag well preventing  mags from dropping free.  I just removed my grips, trimmed the plastic and it has been good to go.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help so far guys.

I tried looking for anything protruding in the mag well that could be causing it.  I have novice eyes but there wasn't anything I saw that was obviously causing this.  Grip screws appear to be just fine.

I'm thinking about sending this in either to a local gunsmith or to Beretta (it's still got the warranty).

Anyone know how Beretta CS would handle this?  Will they pay for shipping?  Will they actually make sure this gets fixed or will I just waste time with them?  If they're crap I'll probably look into paying a local smith.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]
My new M9A1 had a similar issue not dropping mags reliably. I replaced the polymer mag release with a metal assembly and have had no further issues.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Never mind loaded mags dropping freely- that should be a 'given', but EMPTY mags should also freely drop.  Anything other the foregoing is defective for the firearm.

Check that your grip screws are not going too far down into the mag well.  Make sure you have washers behind the grip screws.  

I can't make any other suggestions right now that I can think of....you absolutely, positively should NOT have to fire the gun for the mags to drop freely, IMO..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top