Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2014 9:50:19 AM EDT
Recently I've been trying to get more into military competitions. I'd really like to get my hands on an m9, but it seems they run ~100 more than a 92fs. Where's the best place to find used M9s? I'm not adverse to buying one with heavy use and wear as long as I can replace parts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I ended up with an M9. I don't know it it's true or not, but I was told the M9 has slightly looser tolerances for reliability. Side by side the M9 did feel smoother when I worked the slide.

I bought it at Cabelas and the cost was the same between them at the time. Is it worth $100 more? Probably not. Mine came in a regular blue plastic Beretta box and not the cardboard.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess I need to get them side by side.

Could care less about the box.  It'll be sitting in my safe in a Safariland holster on an MLS setup.

Sounds like as long as its not a Vertec I'm good. (Never liked the way those felt in hand).

What's the best value on used 92s?
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Something else to consider is that many 92FSes are built with M9 frames these days. Mine has the M9's straight frame and backstrap but it is a 92FS marked pistol with the dot sights and warnings.

From what I have heard, and I don't know if this is true or not, but the US made 92's tend to share M9 parts a lot but the Italian made 92's are pure 92's.

Personally I prefer the three dot sights on the 92FS myself.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would say "no", the differences are mainly cosmetic.

From Beretta Forum:

The differences between the M9 and 92FS:

M9 (unless special or limited edition) comes in cardboard box, with no plastic hard case

View Quote

I bought a new, regular M9 last month and it came in the blue plastic box with a lock and the jello mold.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Currently the only differences between the M9 and 92FS is the roll mark.

If anything the M9 will have tighter tolerances as the government spec is held more tightly then civilian models.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would say "no", the differences are mainly cosmetic.

From Beretta Forum:

The differences between the M9 and 92FS:

The M9 usually has a straight dustcover and non-radiused backstrap (Contract Pistols will always be straight/straight)
The 92FS (recent model) has a radiused backstrap and angled dustcover
M9 markings (including proof markings and cage # markings)
M9 lacks the warning to read owner's manual
The rear sight of the 92FS has 2 dots, whereas the M9 has a single half-moon
M9 (unless special or limited edition) comes in cardboard box, with no plastic hard case

View Quote

I agree
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If anything the M9 will have tighter tolerances as the government spec is held more tightly then civilian models.
View Quote

Interesting.  I like the frame profile of the M9. So hopefully this is the case.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW I also think the differences are mainly cosmetic.  Is the juice worth the squeeze?  I don't think so but to each their own.  I will say I have shot and carried an M9 and currently own a 92fs and I prefer the 92fs, it just feels right to me.  Both are excellent pistols IMHO but I personally don't feel the M9 is worth the extra coin.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

the rear sights are completely different.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Could care less about the box.  It'll be sitting in my safe in a Safariland holster on an MLS setup.

Sounds like as long as its not a Vertec I'm good. (Never liked the way those felt in hand).

View Quote

jgsales.com has used 92fs's for $400.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same sight, different paint job.  Don't know why Beretta sitll runs two styles.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably to add another "feature".

I've had a 92D(gave it to my dad), 92FS, 92 compact, 92A1 and still have a 92 Elite. They all had tight tolerances and racking the slides was like glass on glass. Unless the M9 has precision bearings where the frame meets the slide, I don't see it being smoother. In any case, a "D" hammer spring is a mandatory upgrade on any 92 variant that doesn't already have one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've had a 92D(gave it to my dad), 92FS, 92 compact, 92A1 and still have a 92 Elite. They all had tight tolerances and racking the slides was like glass on glass. Unless the M9 has precision bearings where the frame meets the slide, I don't see it being smoother. In any case, a "D" hammer spring is a mandatory upgrade on any 92 variant that doesn't already have one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that do?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
$4.00 difference at Bud's .Get the M9. For 4 bucks more you don't get the stupid warning rollmark on the frame .
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What does that do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that do?

Makes the trigger pull much better.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that do?

Gotcha. Trying to keep the feel as close to an issued M9 as possible.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that do?

If you plan on shooting it at all, I'd also ecommend the "D" spring. It is the factory main spring for the DAO models.

It lowers the DA pull weight to acceptable levels and lightens the SA just a touch too. If I could have changed the springs in my M9 service pistols I would have in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Just saw that a local shop has what appear to be tons of brand new M9s for 490
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just saw that a local shop has what appear to be tons of brand new M9s for 490
View Quote

Do they do online sales?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
  I bought a new, regular M9 last month and it came in the blue plastic box with a lock and the jello mold.
View Quote

I just picked one up today, same blue plastic box. Looks like the cardboard box is out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#23]
For $490 I couldn't pass it up
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Apparently a gunstore in the southern part of the state went out of business and Shooters Outpost in Hooksett bought their stock and is blowing it out. If any NH guys read this, BNIB M9s are $490 and M9A1s are $540.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't. The M9 has been getting 3 dots for the past several years. For about the past 15 years or so most 92/M9 rears have had the 3 dots drilled as well as the half moon cut and depending on who it was going to dictated what got paint. Recently though everything has gotten the dots.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#27]
92 has issued sights.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They don't. The M9 has been getting 3 dots for the past several years. For about the past 15 years or so most 92/M9 rears have had the 3 dots drilled as well as the half moon cut and depending on who it was going to dictated what got paint. Recently though everything has gotten the dots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer the dots, and the M9s I've seen have the half moon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 2:38:46 AM EDT
[#29]
The M9s with dots started coming into the armory about 5 years ago on new guns. The older ones from Anniston will still have the snowman after being arsenaled unless a new slide or rear sight was needed and even then it'll probably take decades to get through all of the old stock two dot sights.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#30]
The NIB M9 I bought last month has the snowman, not dots.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Strange. Mine has the painted dots.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I just bought has the snowman as well. Could be what ever they have on hand at the moment.  Wouldn't be unheard of for a company to do that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The one I just bought has the snowman as well. Could be what ever they have on hand at the moment.  Wouldn't be unheard of for a company to do that.
View Quote

Makes sense to me. You'd think it'd be cheaper to just make one part, though. I wonder if they have other contracts for the M9 that still indicate that the snowman sights be used.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#34]
The radiused back strap on the 92fs/92a1 made a big difference in trigger reach for me. I sold my M9 to get the 92A1 for this reason.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#35]
To make things more confusing, I asked my Dad about this, and the M9 he was issued in the 90's had the three dot sight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Makes sense to me. You'd think it'd be cheaper to just make one part, though. I wonder if they have other contracts for the M9 that still indicate that the snowman sights be used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the same part, just has a different paint job.  If memory serves its reversable.  Snowman paint on oneside, dots on the other.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Frankly it comes down to whether you prefer the dot over dot or three dots in a row sites.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#38]
They are the same part. Depending on when the M9 you have was made and which subcontractor delivered the parts your rear sight may be painted differently but most of the current production has the 3 dots. These are some that were sitting on my bench this evening and at least one is from an M9. As you can see, all of them have the dots and U notch milled.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#39]
The Army authorizes armorers to repaint the rear sight either way for shooter preference now.  Whether you'll ever have that happen in the green Army is a different story, but either configuration is now A-OK by Uncle Sam.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I ended up with an M9. I don't know it it's true or not, but I was told the M9 has slightly looser tolerances for reliability. Side by side the M9 did feel smoother when I worked the slide.

I bought it at Cabelas and the cost was the same between them at the time. Is it worth $100 more? Probably not. Mine came in a regular blue plastic Beretta box and not the cardboard.
View Quote

I really, really doubt the M9 has wider tolerances than the 92. Granted I'm not an armorer, but I believe .mil M9's are "looser" because of 20 years of hard and often times dumb use. How many times has the average M9 been checked out of the armory? I'd be willing to bet the number is near 4 digits for some of the older M9's. Furthermore pistol training is near non existent in most of the military. Pistol maintenance? stfu and watch this sexual assault powerpoint. But i digress...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I went with the M9 over the 92, only reason being it's the one I had in the service.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Apparently a gunstore in the southern part of the state went out of business and Shooters Outpost in Hooksett bought their stock and is blowing it out. If any NH guys read this, BNIB M9s are $490 and M9A1s are $540.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It was a small place in Hudson called "Blackwater Firearms".  While I hate to see any gun store go out of business, they had few customers the couple times I went in there.

Shooters Outpost is pretty much down to a couple 10 round magazine M9's left when I was in there last week.  That was a good price though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top