Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 9:58:47 AM EDT
So I have spent a lot of my time shooting black guns (pistols and rifles), and have a couple of questions, if I could get some direction.  

I am really wanting a 92 variant of some sort.   I see guys talking about the Brigadier guns/slides.   Were they a heavier built gun?  Does that equate to better?  Are they hard to find?  Is the price high?

I also see the new WC thread, and that is shit hot, for this platform!  Help a guy out please. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the question about the 92G?

It's the decocker only version of the 92FS. The Brig is a different model.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I guess I left that part out.  I think I remember reading somewhere that the G had the heavier slide as well.  

Are Brigadiers around to be had?  Or G's?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, I guess I left that part out.  I think I remember reading somewhere that the G had the heavier slide as well.  

View Quote

The Brigadier slide is 2.1oz heavier and made shooting more smooth/faster. It also had removable front & rear sights. I haven't seen them around but haven't looked either.

The 92A1 has a removable front sight and a thicker slide but I don't think it's as heavy as the brigadier side, I haven't handled them side by side so it's hard to say.

92Gs are around but they demand a premium. They're mostly sought by people who are incapable of gripping the slide from the back and can't keep their fingers off the safety.

To me, the 92fs/92a1 is such a smooth shooter and already pretty beefy, no reason to pay more for the brigadier but I'm not a big competition shooter. I would recommend the 92A1 with the wider slide, removable front sight and a few other upgrades. Comes with three 17rd magazines too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Love the 92 series, shoot them very well, and aside from their relative size, my only gripe is the slide mounted safety.  Have never had a problem with the safety while cocking the weapon using the slingshot method, but having carried them downrange in the military and as a contractor, both concealed and not, my experience is the safety is never where you left it due to being swiped on/off by gear, cover garments, seat belts, etc.  The obvious solution is to train to swipe the safety off every time as part of your draw.  Or get a G or G conversion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
M4A1, thanks for your insight on this.  So are you saying that the 92A1 has a thicker or heavier slide?  Just curious.   Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Brigadier slide is 2.1oz heavier and made shooting more smooth/faster. It also had removable front & rear sights. I haven't seen them around but haven't looked either.

The 92A1 has a removable front sight and a thicker slide but I don't think it's as heavy as the brigadier side, I haven't handled them side by side so it's hard to say.

92Gs are around but they demand a premium. They're mostly sought by people who are incapable of gripping the slide from the back and can't keep their fingers off the safety.

To me, the 92fs/92a1 is such a smooth shooter and already pretty beefy, no reason to pay more for the brigadier but I'm not a big competition shooter. I would recommend the 92A1 with the wider slide, removable front sight and a few other upgrades. Comes with three 17rd magazines too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure why the 92 "G" would be for people incapable of gripping the slide from the back.   The 92 "G" is the exact same size, thickness of the 92 FS / M-9.  

It just is that the safety will pop back up to "Ready to Fire" after being activated to decock the pistol (think SiG decock system except on the slide).  

You might be getting the "G" confused with the "D" (Double Action Only) model which doesn't have any safety or decock on the slide and would thus be thinner or "slick slided"

Really love my "G" (always ready to "Go!") and think it is the best of the 92 series for "serious social uses".

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
M4A1, thanks for your insight on this.  So are you saying that the 92A1 has a thicker or heavier slide?  Just curious.   Thanks again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The 92A1 has a thicker slide, I don't know if it's heavier.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure why the 92 "G" would be for people incapable of gripping the slide from the back.   The 92 "G" is the exact same size, thickness of the 92 FS / M-9.  

It just is that the safety will pop back up to "Ready to Fire" after being activated to decock the pistol (think SiG decock system except on the slide).  

You might be getting the "G" confused with the "D" (Double Action Only) model which doesn't have any safety or decock on the slide and would thus be thinner or "slick slided"

Really love my "G" (always ready to "Go!") and think it is the best of the 92 series for "serious social uses".

I  said that because people always complain about flipping the safety on when racking the slide on the 92fs. All the people I've seen do this grip the slide over hand style and push back and usually want the G model so they cannot engage the safety.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:13:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The Elites (I, IA and II) were "G" models and had the Brigadier slide, they are probably what you are thinking of. Generally considered the best and most desirable 92 models.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Gunnut.  Leave it to me to like the unobtainium!  

So are the sights changable on a standard 92FS???
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just the rear, the front is integral to the slide.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so I understand this all correct.  The FS has an integral front sight.  Is that horribly bad?  The A1, and M9's are dove tailed?  Obviously better, but is fixed just bad?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Not at all, they've been making them like that for the last 30 years, its a tough front sight.  It just limits your options for front sight types.  But, places like Tooltech Gunsight have done tritium tube install for years, and others like Alleghany Gunworks are experimenting with fiber optic install if that's what you want.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Okay, in a nutshell.

Brigadiers, Vertecs, and the 92A1 have dovetailed front sights,  All others are integral to the slide (including the M9a1 and the M9).  

"G" models can be on Brigadier, Vertec, or standard slides.  They are Decocker only.  Lever spring back up after being pressed down.  

Now, of all the listed stuff, the G models, as well as the Brigadiers and Vertecs command quite a premium on Gunbroker and the like.  You can find them, but be prepared to pay a good bit more than I feel they are worth.  I just don't feel they offer enough advantage to pay 2 to 3 times more than a new 92A1.

I find the integral front sight to be quite usable.  It's not perfect, but I doubt it will hold you back.  My personal favorite model is the 92A1.  I had Dawson Precision fit fiber optic front sights to my competition guns.

Lastly, the Wilson Combat packages/work.  I am very glad to see Wilson getting into the Beretta market.  Still though, a lot of the stuff they are offering (fiber optic sight, oversized mag release) you can find elsewhere.  The grips appear to be VZ to me.  Were I going to send a Beretta off for work, Allegheny Gun Works would be my first contact.  They have been at it for a good while, and I haven't heard anything bad about them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Okay, in a nutshell.

Brigadiers, Vertecs, and the 92A1 have dovetailed front sights,  All others are integral to the slide (including the M9a1 and the M9).  

"G" models can be on Brigadier, Vertec, or standard slides.  They are Decocker only.  Lever spring back up after being pressed down.  

Now, of all the listed stuff, the G models, as well as the Brigadiers and Vertecs command quite a premium on Gunbroker and the like.  You can find them, but be prepared to pay a good bit more than I feel they are worth.  I just don't feel they offer enough advantage to pay 2 to 3 times more than a new 92A1.

I find the integral front sight to be quite usable.  It's not perfect, but I doubt it will hold you back.  My personal favorite model is the 92A1.  I had Dawson Precision fit fiber optic front sights to my competition guns.

Lastly, the Wilson Combat packages/work.  I am very glad to see Wilson getting into the Beretta market.  Still though, a lot of the stuff they are offering (fiber optic sight, oversized mag release) you can find elsewhere.  The grips appear to be VZ to me.  Were I going to send a Beretta off for work, Allegheny Gun Works would be my first contact.  They have been at it for a good while, and I haven't heard anything bad about them.
View Quote

Thanks for the great info!  That explains a lot!  I am/have been into Glocks for a while, but really want to expand my horizons a bit, and have shot several Berretas, and like the profile of the gun a lot, and the fit of it, for me.  I just hate not knowing much about what I am looking for.  I'll keep my eyes open for an A1 in this case.  Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the great info!  That explains a lot!  I am/have been into Glocks for a while, but really want to expand my horizons a bit, and have shot several Berretas, and like the profile of the gun a lot, and the fit of it, for me.  I just hate not knowing much about what I am looking for.  I'll keep my eyes open for an A1 in this case.  Thanks again guys.
View Quote

I had the same experience, the 92A1 is probably the best Beretta made to date IMO. It combined a lot of the features of the 90-Two and the traditional 92fs. I've fallen in love with mine and now I have a new 92fs compact on the way to carry with my G19.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Wilson Combat is making some nice parts for the Beretta. The slim, single side safety looks sweet.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I had the same experience, the 92A1 is probably the best Beretta made to date IMO. It combined a lot of the features of the 90-Two and the traditional 92fs. I've fallen in love with mine and now I have a new 92fs compact on the way to carry with my G19.

http://sgcusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/B/e/Beretta_92A1_DASA_C_1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://sgcusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/B/e/Beretta_92A1_DASA_C_1.jpg

A compact.....probably very shortly thereafter.  Thanks a lot man!  LOL   The 19 is one of my favs that I carry.  Is it just the plain vanilla 92fs made in the compact?  Curious what your plan is on it.  Thanks to you also for the info!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A compact.....probably very shortly thereafter.  Thanks a lot man!  LOL   The 19 is one of my favs that I carry.  Is it just the plain vanilla 92fs made in the compact?  Curious what your plan is on it.  Thanks to you also for the info!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the new 92fs compact INOX. I love my G19, it and my G26 are my EDC but I shoot the Beretta better so hopefully after I get a good IWB holster for the 92 compact I'll carry that everyday. Ultimately I'd like to find a 92fs compact type M, which is a single stack 92 but those are hard to find.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:17:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wilson Combat is making some nice parts for the Beretta. The slim, single side safety looks sweet.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/images/636-001.jpg
View Quote

One of the reasons I mentioned Allegheny Gun Works is that they have been making a slim single side safety lever for a 92 for quite a while now.  I am not sure, but Wilson may be buying that part from AGW.

I also saw on AGW's Facebook page that they are now offering a service where they machine the integral front sight of most 92 slides into a fiber optic sight.  That could be really cool for competition shooters.  

I'm not affiliated with AGW in any way, but I have ordered parts from them before.  the dude that runs it took good care of me.  I've got a plain FS that I'm mulling over sending to him for some work.  His Lo-Pro safety lever is one of the items I'm looking at.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
One of the reasons I mentioned Allegheny Gun Works is that they have been making a slim single side safety lever for a 92 for quite a while now.  I am not sure, but Wilson may be buying that part from AGW.
I also saw on AGW's Facebook page that they are now offering a service where they machine the integral front sight of most 92 slides into a fiber optic sight.  That could be really cool for competition shooters.  
I'm not affiliated with AGW in any way, but I have ordered parts from them before.  the dude that runs it took good care of me.  I've got a plain FS that I'm mulling over sending to him for some work.  His Lo-Pro safety lever is one of the items I'm looking at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/images/636-001.jpg

I've never really looked into the Beretta after market products, so I wasn't familiar with them. I prefer the look of the AGW safety as it doesn't have a big logo on it. Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That or sought by those that use the overhand method on semi-autos and don't feel like changing their technique for a single firearm. ETA: See you mentioned it, but it's still the reason why. The sling shot method would work, but it's the only slide mounted safety firearm I own. I had a 92FS and 92A1 and I could easily knock the safety on when doing my usual reload method.

No problems with my Elite or the 92D I gave to my dad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Welp, I am picking up my spanking new (-20 rounds), A1 tomorrow, and got it for $575.  Did I do okay on it?  Really looking forward to getting to learn to run this mofo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:I am not sure, but Wilson may be buying that part from AGW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:I am not sure, but Wilson may be buying that part from AGW.

Quoted:I've never really looked into the Beretta after market products, so I wasn't familiar with them. I prefer the look of the AGW safety as it doesn't have a big logo on it. Thanks.

Wilson is now making them for us actually. I had been making them in house for the past few years but it was far too time consuming to do regularly. When WC decided to get into the Beretta market they asked if we could work together on anything and I jumped on it. I sent them my safety and SR trigger and the rest they either designed ground-up (guide rod and AWESOME rear sight) or sourced from other companies. Regardless, they're top shelf guys to work with and as most people are well aware, they're parts are nothing but superb. The only difference between my levers and theirs is that mine don't have the bird on them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting, thanks for responding in the thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#25]
AGW,

Thanks for clearing that up.  I honestly was not trying to spread misinformation.  You guys have taken good care of me every time I bought from you, and I wanted to make sure credit went where it was due with regard to some of the stuff being offered.

I'm glad they collaborated with you all the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top