Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2014 2:14:41 PM EDT
Does anybody know of any Beretta or aftermarket parts that reduce the throw of the safety and/or have an easier way to actuate the safety. The safety is the thing I dislike most about my Beretta.

I'm sure it will get suggested so I'll just answer now...Leaving the safety off is a bad idea IMO. The reason being is it is too easy for the safety to get bumped and re-engaged and if you train expecting the safety to be off and then its not you may give up a critical few seconds.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think a reduced throw safety lever would be more likely to be "bumped" on.

I know they make a decocker only... but I do not know if they can be retro fit or the slide is entirely different on the G series.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Throw?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Throw?
View Quote

Instead of rotating 90° I was thinking there would be one that only rotates 45°. I think I saw that in a picture once.

For some reason I have a hard time with my safety and I was thinking one that was longer and rotated less might be the answer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I carried a m9 5 years in the army and carried one maybe ten years as a civvy off and on since the 80's.  I've never had one accidentally engage the safety from the up position.  I just treat it as a decocker and never have had an issue
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Throw?
View Quote

I just realized you were correcting my grammar...Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:12:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Throw?

LOL, sorry, I figured it out.

Have you considered a conversion to a "G" style decock only function?

Having carried a Beretta on the job for a long bit, both concealed and not, you are right to have the concerns about carrying it "decocked, off safe" the lever will get moved around by cover garments, gear, seat belts, etc.  A G doesn't have that problem and is no less safe than a SIG or any double action pistol with no manual safety.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Wilson combat is offering conversion to g config on your existing 92fs slide
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I might have to send my gun to WC. I like the idea of the G-conversion.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to do it with a spare 92FS slide assmbly I picked up awhile back.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am planning on having this done on my M9A1. I contacted WC about the conversion and the complete firearm must be shipped to them for the conversion.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am planning on having this done on my M9A1. I contacted WC about the conversion and the complete firearm must be shipped to them for the conversion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price?
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Save your money!

Use the safety and carry that way, or don't carry with it on.  I think your concern and worry is exaggerated.

The safety serves a wonderful purpose and is on the firearm because humans make errors.

The possibility of a ND greatly outweighs the possiblity of inadvertently having the safety 'fall' to ON in a gunfight.  It is likely that you will never be in a gunfight anyway, unless you are a cop (still unlikely), a drug dealer,  or a SEAL. It is far more likely that problem might arise if after decocking one forgets to disengage it.  Make it a conditioned reflex that you always disengage the safety after decock.

I don't use the safety for carry because it is not at all necessary, but I always try to use it in chambering that first round, clearing the weapon, and field-stripping the weapon.  You will never have a ND if you use the safety for those functions.

I'm reasonably confident that your concerns have been researched by the military and with over 25 years of Beretta as THE handgun for all services- you have little to worry about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top