Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
So with the consensus being, loaded chamber, uncocked, safety off.
I have been thinking of the G series conversion where there is no safety only the decocker.
Is it worth the cost or effort to convert?

I never was concerned until I started shooting IDPA and they force you to use the decock if the weapon has one.
Because I never used it, several times I would forget to take off the safety before holstering.  Training solved that
but It would be nice to not even worry about it.

Convert or no?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been thinking of the G series conversion where there is no safety only the decocker.

I never was concerned until I started shooting IDPA and they force you to use the decock if the weapon has one.
Because I never used it, several times I would forget to take off the safety before holstering.  Training solved that
but It would be nice to not even worry about it.

Convert or no?
View Quote

You should train to de-cock your weapon whenever you chamber a round or holster it regardless of IDPA rules. De-cocking is not something you'd do under stress (if you were being shot at just shoot back) so there's no rush. After you get used to it it becomes pretty naturally. I go through a sequence: insert loaded mag, chamber round, de-cock weapon, holster weapon, turn off safe.

The only time I had to de-cock my weapon on the clock was a 2 gun competition which required you to de-cock/safe your pistol and transfer to your long gun. It didn't cost me any time because I was so used to doing it and I did it while I was putting my pistol down.

I don't see any reason to convert, it's just an extra feature you have the option to use. I turn mine on safe whenever I take my holster off and leave the pistol in the holster.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote
The whole purpose of a double action pistol is to carry chambered and uncocked. That way, in a pinch you can shoot but IF you have time you can cock it.

The decock is unnecessary if you know how to operate your pistol properly. I prefer to uncock it the old fashioned way (thumb on the hammer and finger squeezing the trigger).

That said, a safety on a double action pistol makes a much since as a safety on a double action revolver. None.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The whole purpose of a double action pistol is to carry chambered and uncocked. That way, in a pinch you can shoot but IF you have time you can cock it.    

The decock is unnecessary if you know how to operate your pistol properly. I prefer to uncock it the old fashioned way (thumb on the hammer and finger squeezing the trigger).

That said, a safety on a double action pistol makes a much since as a safety on a double action revolver. None.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is one of the dumbest things you can do with a handgun designed with a decocker.  

You are intentionally defeating every single safety feature the handgun has built to keep you from shooting yourself.

That is the exact opposite of "operating your pistol properly".
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finger off the trigger unless you're shooting at something.

You might be super awesome at it, but it only takes once doing it your idiotic way and the hammer slips and you could kill someone. Decockers are designed to drop the hammer in a way that it will not contact the firing pin.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You might be super awesome at it, but it only takes once doing it your idiotic way and the hammer slips and you could kill someone. Decockers are designed to drop the hammer in a way that it will not contact the firing pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Decock a 1911 that way so there is no reason I can't decock a double action that way. I do use the decock on occasion, but in my opinion it's not necessary.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Decock a 1911 that way so there is no reason I can't decock a double action that way. I do use the decock on occasion, but in my opinion it's not necessary.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Manipulating a gun in a way it was never designed to certainly helps your credibility on the matter.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ETA: Manipulating a gun in a way it was never designed to certainly helps your credibility on the matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So a 1911 was never designed to be decocked? I'll have you know I'm really JMBrowning and I did design it that way.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
After causing a veritable shit-storm...

I have decided to convert my 92F to a G series with Wilson Combat's new Decocker Only Conversion.  It also completely removes the lever from the right side of the slide.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decocking a 1911 is not smart and does nothing to prove your case.  The 1911 wasn't meant to be decocked, it was meant to be carried cocked and locked.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Exactly the 1911, the hammer is to be down only when it has an empty chamber.  If the chamber is charged the hammer is back, safety is on, unless one is actively sending lead down range.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a 92A1 for my dedicated bedroom home defense gun, I keep it 20 round mag in, one in the chamber, hammer down and safety on.  Does it really need the safety on with the heavy trigger pull? No, I just do it as a second safety but if I were carrying I probably wouldn't keep the safety on.  Carrying my 1911 (STI Elektra) I go with a round in the chamber, hammer back, safety on.  The only thing that bugs me about the Beretta is the "safety switch up for safe" opposite of every other handgun I own.  Maybe it's a European thing but it doesn't make sense for the US.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I hope that guy's ND with his 1911 doesn't hurt anyone.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top