Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2011 6:02:02 PM EDT
I am new to the "92" world and have read through the pages here and found great info but would like some more schooling. I am wondering many things first what is the difference between a Beretta 92, 92F and 92FS? Next what is a good price for a 92 with holster wear and used i.e. the 1988 and 1990 92F on gunbroker that used to be LEO guns? They are asking for I believe it was about 380 for them. Next how easy is it to restore a older 92 like the 1988 92F on gunbroker to a practically "new" weapon in cosmetics and functionality. last what 92 do you recommend for a new Beretta owner who does not mind reconditioning one. thanks for your patience and all your help and knowledge
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
if you buy a used LEO gun, you want to immediately order new springs and a new barrel, then take it to a gunsmith and have them take it completely apart and check it for cracks and warn out parts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The 92F does not have the enlarged hammer pin. So if the slide would (unlikely) break, it would fit you in the face. The 92FS has this improvement. I would recommend just finding a used 92FS since they are roughly the same price as a 92F.

A used 92FS with holster wear should run you about $350 give or take.

Here is all you need to do if you buy one:
* Look it over for any cracks in the frame or slide.
* Look for any cracks on the locking block.
* Replace the recoil spring, slide stop spring, trigger bar spring, and trigger return spring.
* Shoot It

That is really it. Replace those 4 spring every 5,000 rounds, and you should have it last your lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks so far for the information everyone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The 92 is the good old grand daddy. It still has a heel of the butt mag release button and has the safety mounted on the frame. Production run from 1975 to 1976.
Then the 92S followed. The basic change was a slide mounted safety/decocker.

Then the 92SB followed that. Biggest changes. 1: thumb level mag release 2: ambi slide safety/decocker. It was build for the military trails for a new handgun.

The 92SB was then accepted with two changes. That the bottom of the grip come a bit forward and the trigger guard must be squared off to allow for a finger forward hold. This gave birth to the 92SB-F which just became the 92F.

As said earlier the 92F was further enhanced to have the Slide Retention Device fitted. This kept the slide, should it crack and break, from flying off and hitting you in the face.

So if you are keen on an old timer like the 92 then just make sure your mags have the notch cut out at the bottom or your heel button release will not work with them.

However I would recommend going to the 92FS if you want it for more than collecting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if you buy a used LEO gun, you want to immediately order new springs and a new barrel, then take it to a gunsmith and have them take it completely apart and check it for cracks and warn out parts.

Why would he need to order a new barrel?
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because most "responsible" police agencies  require you to shoot at least 1500 rounds a year thru your primary weapon and most agencies keep a pistol for at least 10 years.Parts get replaced when they fail, not when they are warn out.  Likely if it is a used LEO gun, it will almost appear to be a smoothbore.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info and I'm going with the 92FS. Anybody familiar with how hard it is to strip one down for a refinish? Thanks

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because most "responsible" police agencies  require you to shoot at least 1500 rounds a year thru your primary weapon and most agencies keep a pistol for at least 10 years.Parts get replaced when they fail, not when they are warn out.  Likely if it is a used LEO gun, it will almost appear to be a smoothbore.

I would bet dollars to pesos you won't find a "worn-out" barrel on a ex-PD handgun. Most are shot once per year for qualification of a whopping 100-200 rounds, and carried the rest of the year.

OP, just buy the one with the least amount of wear. Really the cost of a re-finish will probably put you into the ballpark of a new 92FS. Don't worry about the exterior wear. Just put a light coat of CLP on the barrel, and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would bet dollars to pesos you won't find a "worn-out" barrel on a ex-PD handgun. Most are shot once per year for qualification of a whopping 100-200 rounds, and carried the rest of the year.

OP, just buy the one with the least amount of wear. Really the cost of a re-finish will probably put you into the ballpark of a new 92FS. Don't worry about the exterior wear. Just put a light coat of CLP on the barrel, and you'll be fine.

This is the best advice so far. Might as well buy a new one if you want to refinish.

I doubt you'll find one with a barrel shot out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish my department would supply us with 1500 rounds of ammo per year to stay current with our handguns.      We qualify twice per year with our Glock 21's and typically shoot less than 100 rounds between both qualifications.   Any other practice is on our own time and dime

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
i actually purchased one of these L.A.S.O 92F's for the huge total of $369....  

if you want to wait 2 weeks. i'll take loads of pictures and let you know how good of quality it is.

i honestly haven't been able to find one for the price. anywhere be it local dealer or other online sources...

i know a few years ago they were going for $329+

they offer a 7 day m.o back... so if im not happy im out the cost of shipping...
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:20:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Look forward to it. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the average LEO gun eats 200 rounds a year I'd be surprised. That's about 2000 rounds in a 10 year service life.

Smooth bore at 15,000 rounds ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Anybody familiar with how hard it is to strip one down for a refinish?

Don't waste your time on a refinishing job, IMO. What extra it adds to the cost of the gun you could've bought a new one, IMO. Either get a brand new one or leave the old one alone & spend the $$$ on ammo, IMO.

Don't waste your $$$ on buying a new bbl either. I've NEVER in my life heard of a LE dept. requiring 1500rds per year from a dept issued gun.............    
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aaand someone doesn't know anything about what they're talking about...
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

most police guns that are turned in and sold to the general public exhibit holster wear with very little barrel wear.  Unless you're a swat officer I'd venture to guess that 95%+ of police agencies fire maybe 100 rounds through their guns yearly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#17]
My dept has a minimum of 150 rounds a year, and most officers average around MAYBE 2-300 rounds. I cannot believe the nonsense wildlyinnacurateman is spewing in a tech forum.  The dept "shooters", put maybe 600-1000 through their issue gun, but that's even doubtful because we typically have a lot of other guns to shoot too.  Id rather play with my new to me 92FS than my dept Glock I've had for years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#18]
My 92F is a well-worn, slightly abused-looking piece, but you wouldn't know it just from shooting it.

In its entire 23 years of life, it has apparently done some work, what with the dings and nicks and the slightly smashed ridges on the backstrap.

Shoots great, even being about a year or two older than the owner

I like the way it looks with the wear marks. It's not meant to look pretty, that's just a bonus!!

ETA:

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Picked this 92FS Police trade in off Gunbroker for $331 + shipping + transfer = $371

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#20]

My '88 92F. It's not a former LEO gun, but it's been shot a ton over the years.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="ue8_uN0OIVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ben Stoeger shoots his Berettas A LOT, and he explains much about what wears out on a 92..
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]
i should be picking up my LASO 92F next week... ill let yo know how it is..

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#22]
i got mine today. . its got wear spots in all the right places.. and just looks good... well worth it i think... got it from robertsons trading post on auctionarms i think it was.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Looks great with tons of character.

Just order a new Recoil spring, Slide release spring, Trigger Spring, and Trigger Bar Spring.

Should be about $10 & it will be rehabilitated spring-wise. You can spend an extra $5 for a D hammer spring for a nice DA trigger pull.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

i got mine today. . its got wear spots in all the right places.. and just looks good... well worth it i think... got it from robertsons trading post on auctionarms i think it was.

Allow me to strongly suggest a liberal application of oil on the locking block as well as the slide/frame rails. It should glide like it's on warm butter.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aaand someone doesn't know anything about what they're talking about...

this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top