Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Grayguns statement concerning SIG SAUER P320 voluntary upgrade

Spray, Ore. (Aug. 10, 2017) As SIG SAUER® detailed in their press release Tuesday, the P320 pistol does meet “U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI®), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.”

We have no reason to believe the pistol does not meet those accepted standards. That said, we are aware of the claims made earlier this week that some P320s may unintentionally discharge if the pistol is dropped in a specific way. SIG SAUER confirmed this noting “dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.”

We are independently evaluating those claims here at Grayguns, and it appears that there is some merit to claims that some P320s may unintentionally discharge after being dropped at a specific angle. We strongly advise against attempting to test your own pistols, as this can be dangerous and may negatively affect the existing drop safety mechanisms. Self-testing may also void any warranties. Consequences for the handling or misuse of any firearm are the operator’s sole responsibility. Safe gun handling practices should be practiced at all times. Never rely upon any mechanical device for your safety.

As Grayguns provides aftermarket triggers and action work for the P320, we are obviously concerned and continuing to closely examine this serious issue. We are working closely with SIG SAUER on addressing concerns relating to Grayguns products and services in particular, to ensure that our mutual customers will be offered the most satisfactory options possible, and will provide additional information to our customers once it becomes available.

“As we have done for more than 30 years, Grayguns will always stand behind our work and the products we manufacture,” said Bruce Gray, president and founder of Grayguns Inc. “We will work diligently with our friends at SIG SAUER during the next few weeks to ensure all of our customers are confident in the products and services we provide.”

For more information on Grayguns, visit us at grayguns.com.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When it comes to Sig's no one knows more than Bruce Gray . Bruce says there is NO problem . CASE CLOSED
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
 posted August 05, 2017 03:08 PMAugust 05, 2017 03:08 PM Hide Post
I am here to tell you that there is no safety issues with the P320.

There was no incident, ND, or failure of a P320 of any sort that prompted the memo by Lt. Williamson.

DPD does not have any in their inventory, has never tested it, has only a couple officers carrying it so far, and none have had any issues.

The memo was simply addressing some outdated legacy language that inexplicably made it's way into one of the P320 owner's manuals. In doing due diligence just as I would have, this was questioned, SIG responded to clarify, and it was over.

All reports and online discussions to follow trace back to an article published by gunmagwarehouse.com. There was a headline stating "SIG SAUER P320 Fails Drop Test." In the article, the author reports that an anonymous reliable source within DPD stated that a P320 ND'd during training, among other inflammatory implications that proved not to be true.

I reached out, speaking for myself and Grayguns Inc., to this author on Tuesday to offer factual, verifiable information or an interview, but was rebuffed. This erroneous story was then reposted and repeated widely.

I and others knew this entire thing was bullshit from the start, but the author of this hyped up and apparently fabricated non-story from an "anonymous source" was not interested in hearing verifiable information, on the record.

And, for that record, there has never been a verified instance of any P320 firing when dropped out of the nearly 350,000 sold to date, much less a factory-spec pistol.

I have looked for such reports and followed up on everything I find, for three solud years. It hasn't happened.

The recent YouTube video pupirtibg to show a "P320 drop test" failure is an obvious fake.

I have personally bounced these puppies off of everything I can find. No go bang, ever.

This crap needs to be dismissed. The P320 is safe.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms. Now: Get some Lucas Extreme Duty Grease from Top Gun Supply and SIG Pro Shop, dammit! And remember: MOAC is coming again in 2017!

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistols.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 541-468-3840
View Quote
So all the videos are fake??
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Spray, Ore. (Aug. 10, 2017) As SIG SAUER® detailed in their press release Tuesday, the P320 pistol does meet “U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI®), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.”

We have no reason to believe the pistol does not meet those accepted standards. That said, we are aware of the claims made earlier this week that some P320s may unintentionally discharge if the pistol is dropped in a specific way. SIG SAUER confirmed this noting “dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.”

We are independently evaluating those claims here at Grayguns, and it appears that there is some merit to claims that some P320s may unintentionally discharge after being dropped at a specific angle. We strongly advise against attempting to test your own pistols, as this can be dangerous and may negatively affect the existing drop safety mechanisms. Self-testing may also void any warranties. Consequences for the handling or misuse of any firearm are the operator’s sole responsibility. Safe gun handling practices should be practiced at all times. Never rely upon any mechanical device for your safety.

As Grayguns provides aftermarket triggers and action work for the P320, we are obviously concerned and continuing to closely examine this serious issue. We are working closely with SIG SAUER on addressing concerns relating to Grayguns products and services in particular, to ensure that our mutual customers will be offered the most satisfactory options possible, and will provide additional information to our customers once it becomes available.

“As we have done for more than 30 years, Grayguns will always stand behind our work and the products we manufacture,” said Bruce Gray, president and founder of Grayguns Inc. “We will work diligently with our friends at SIG SAUER during the next few weeks to ensure all of our customers are confident in the products and services we provide.”

For more information on Grayguns, visit us at grayguns.com.
View Quote
This whole press release and the subsequent word bending makes my head hurt. The part highlighted in red really makes me go..

Here is the thing, gravity gives zero fucks about the U.S. Standards for safety. The bottom line is there is no such thing as dropping a pistol ensuring that you are conforming to U.S. Standards for safety when you drop a pistol in a fight or in a car crash or knocked off a night stand. Prior to this I really respected Bruce Gray but after his first press release where he was proven wrong by miles, he went on to double down on the stupid by releasing this statement. Honestly, it doesn't bother me that there is an issue with the P320. It is a good pistol, very accurate with a nice trigger. I will own one at some point. Almost all new firearms have some teething problems. Changes are made, issues are resolved and we move on with life. It isn't a big deal. However, what does bother me is this twisting and tweaking of wording trying to get around the issue that anyone with an IQ over 75 can see exists. Sig needs to own this, fix it and move on. A lot of this dust up was created by their pseudo denial a problem exists. The fanbois are going to fanboi, but why give them and everyone else more chum to work everyone up into a frenzy? I am really disappointed in the way this was all handled.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Waiting for all the P320s to appear on EE
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Waiting for all the P320s to appear on EE
View Quote
Really? Seems like the only people really up in arms about the upcoming update is the Glockaholics.

With that said I assume you'll see a spike in listings if SIG announces Monday that the consumer will pay for the enhanced parts.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm keeping my FDE P320C
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
All I can say is ... they better make this right. We'll find out Monday.

Also, this makes me question the testing. I know there's a standard and Sig wouldn't have put out a gun that doesn't meet at least a minimum drop standard. I just don't know what the standard is. I wonder if you dropped other guns from the same height onto the back of the slide, would they go off?

If the testing is from 4 feet and you drop it from 6 (or 10, or 50), it still technically passed the test.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also, this makes me question the testing. I know there's a standard and Sig wouldn't have put out a gun that doesn't meet at least a minimum drop standard. I just don't know what the standard is. I wonder if you dropped other guns from the same height onto the back of the slide, would they go off?

If the testing is from 4 feet and you drop it from 6 (or 10, or 50), it still technically passed the test.
View Quote
At what point does a manufacturer test and call it good?

The M16 will go off it dropped on the muzzle from a height of something like 12 feet. Give or take a few feet. I don't remember the exact height.

Still the M16 has been around a long time and nobody is clamoring to add an active firing pin block or a spring-loaded firing pin, etc.

HK  (and now SIG with the MCX) are the only companies I'm aware of adding some type of block into the M16 system.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about flipping my 320 carry but I'm patiently waiting to see what the voluntary recall entails. I really enjoy this gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The M16 will go off it dropped on the muzzle from a height of something like 12 feet. Give or take a few feet. I don't remember the exact height.

Still the M16 has been around a long time and nobody is clamoring to add an active firing pin block or a spring-loaded firing pin, etc.

HK  (and now SIG with the MCX) are the only companies I'm aware of adding some type of block into the M16 system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M16 is actually a horrible example given its... less than stellar... beginning.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Updated trigger parts drop test

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Updated trigger parts drop test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25bdr264Dyo
View Quote
Obviously the trigger is different, any idea on what else is changed?
ive heard rumors they may need to swap out the slide as well?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Obviously the trigger is different, any idea on what else is changed?
ive heard rumors they may need to swap out the slide as well?
View Quote
The striker is also different.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Probably going to have to make the striker pull length longer, more Glock like, so that there is less pre-load on the striker spring.  Good bye sweet, sweet short P320 trigger.  Hello "staple gun."
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Probably going to have to make the striker pull length longer, more Glock like, so that there is less pre-load on the striker spring.  Good bye sweet, sweet short P320 trigger.  Hello "staple gun."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I think might happen. Went to the range today and took a look at the 320's on the way out. To my surprise they had 4 320X5's on display. I went ahead and bought one. I do like the 320 trigger and shoot my friends pretty well but buying striker fired pistols are pretty low on my priority list. The potential of the recall or possible redesign got me to buy one. The flat trigger, bull barrel, milled slide and 4 - 21 round mags may have had a little to do with it. :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let's wait until tomorrow.  Way too much "speculation " .  Hate to have more rumors floating.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#19]
RECOIL sits down with SIG to talk about the 320 safety issues.

http://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauer-p320-safety-update-129040.html
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I just want my SIG fixed and I hope Its a free upgrade.

I bet all the guns sent back from distributors are being worked on now(I sure for free), and current owners go to the back of the bus.

SIG has a chance to make it through this, we will see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

M16 is actually a horrible example given its... less than stellar... beginning.
View Quote
Or the perfect example given that rifle's rocky start.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
RECOIL sits down with SIG to talk about the 320 safety issues.

http://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauer-p320-safety-update-129040.html
View Quote
When they refer to "the frame" - assume they're talking about the grip module?
So - they mention that the frame needs to be trimmed to make way for the updated fire control unit - do we think this means that all grip modules are either worthless or need to be trimmed/updated (via dremel?)
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I just called CS, grip frame is not modified.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
nice!
They mentioned "the frame" in that Recoil intv a few times and I was assuming they meant slide-and/or-FCU.
good to hear and thanks for making the call.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
And you got through?  I called to ask about my Boresight Solutions frame since the "recall" announcement says to include no aftermarket parts. Will my textured frame be returned and do I even need to send the frame if it isn't being modified.

But I was on hold for 20 minutes and got tired of waiting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#27]
It was a long wait, but yes.  You need to send the whole gun less mags.  They have to test fire.

I have other frames and it would be a pain to have to ship those too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was a long wait, but yes.  You need to send the whole gun less mags.  They have to test fire.

I have other frames and it would be a pain to have to ship those too.
View Quote
Hmm. Well hopefully they won't lose Ben's handiwork.

I think I'll buy a $35 unmodified frame and send that instead.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link dead.  Has anyone seen the page...as in was it there and now gone?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link dead.  Has anyone seen the page...as in was it there and now gone?
View Quote
It worked for me a couple hours ago.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes and signed up.  It was up as of 10 am CST.  Down now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Report on another forum is the page will be reopened later today. Something about SIG making an official announcement to go with it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a bit reluctant to send mine in after the XDs pistol mess.  When that gun came back after recall the trigger wasn't as good, although almost all of it smoothed out after several thousand dry-fire cycles (which can really irritate the wife).

Mine had the Apex flat trigger, and I really don't want to swap it back out just to get the other parts.  If the 'other parts' make the trigger suck then I'll have to send it out for work, which I don't want to do.

Maybe I'll wait and see what the buzz is after a few months.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Not sure why the other post was closed as a dupe. It was started to track who put in the info for the recall, when they got the email etc. Kind of like NFA tracker. IMO, it should be cleaned up and reopened or let the OP of that thread start a new one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I want all posts regarding the drop issue including SIG's "fix" for the issue in one thread ( which is this one ) including what it will cost if anything, shipping and return, time element, procedure ect ect ect
View Quote
Might want to change the name of this thread then.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#39]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_14/177768_SIG-320-drop-test-issue-and-SIG-s-Upgrade-program.html
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top