Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2017 11:55:45 AM EDT
I just bought my first Sig Sauer last week and I'm already thinking of a few changes to it.

The first .40 caliber handgun I ever shot that I liked was the 229, and that was about 10 years ago.  When I found this great deal, I knew there would be a few changes to it.

I am planning on getting a SRT, and some new sights.  But the first change to it will probably be the grips.

What are you all using?

Feel free to post pictures of your guns.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are you wanting to change the grips?

Have you shot it?

If you are putting rounds where you want with the grips that came with it I leave it alone. Sig factory (if that's what you have) are pretty decent.

I have shot 229 with hogue finger groove, non finger groove, sig e2, and hogue aluminum.

I could actually shoot better with the aluminum ones, tighter group and faster more accurate follow up.

For what is worth, if none of them improved I would have just kept what came with the gun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I own a P220 and a P226.  

The P220 has the E2 grips,

the P226 is an older gun with the standard grips that used to come on them all, like this:

I find them both to be very ergonomic. If that is what you are looking for, I would go to the E2 grips.  The only grips that feel better (in my hand) than them is my P30..granted the p220 is a very slim, ergonomic pistol to begin with.

If you are looking for something more aesthetically pleasing than black polymer grips, then I would probably look at Hogue Wood grips, or VZ grips.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hogue G-10 or Aluminum grips are the best for the Sig. 

I like the stock grips but received a 220 with rubber grips that suck.  I could not find a set of stock grips to save my life and found the aluminum.  They look like factory grips but are never going to crack or break.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have several SIGs with several different grips. I dislike the E2 grips and the current other factory grips. I used to have a 226 that had the old factory checkered grips. Looking back now, I should have kept them as they were the only factory grips I ever liked. For years I have used the Hogue rubber grip panels. Not the one with the finger groves. I hate the Hogue finger grove grips. I recently bought a couple of sets of the Hogue G-10 grips. They were the checkered and the piranha. I really like the G-10 checkered and have started putting them on several of my SIGs.

Grips are one of the most personal choices you can make about guns. What I like and works for me, may not work for you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Hogue aluminum
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Nill Griffe  for the win!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking into the suggestions offered by you all and thank you for doing so.

I figured out the grips I'd like to see on my gun don't exist.

I checked out their page and they only had 238/938 options for now.

I'm also checking out a few flat triggers from various places and I think I know what I'm going to pick up but the SRT is coming first.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I think Hogue G10 are the way to go, but they are pricey. The biggest change is the thinning out of the hump under the slide stop. This makes it much more comfortable and slimmer for a thumbs-forward grip. The Catch-22 is that it becomes easier to accidentally ride the slide stop, causing failures to lock when empty. Opinions on texture vary, but for me the checkered version is the best. The rest are just way too aggressive and tend to exfoliate your hands while you shoot.

In addition to the Hogue G10s, the Gray Guns PSTR8 combined with the SRT setup really transformed the 226 for me. This was always a pistol that I had a love/hate relationship with. Standard trigger seemed too long of a reach, but the short trigger was too short and had sharp edges making it uncomfortable. The PSTR8 is easy to reach and comfortable in DA, and in SA mode it rivals an SAO model. Combined with the SRT, it feels like the closest I can get to a 1911ish experience while shooting a SIG.

iPotato pics:

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Of the different grips I have tried on my P-series Sigs, I prefer the E2 grip.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think Hogue G10 are the way to go, but they are pricey. The biggest change is the thinning out of the hump under the slide stop. This makes it much more comfortable and slimmer for a thumbs-forward grip. The Catch-22 is that it becomes easier to accidentally ride the slide stop, causing failures to lock when empty. Opinions on texture vary, but for me the checkered version is the best. The rest are just way too aggressive and tend to exfoliate your hands while you shoot.

In addition to the Hogue G10s, the Gray Guns PSTR8 combined with the SRT setup really transformed the 226 for me. This was always a pistol that I had a love/hate relationship with. Standard trigger seemed too long of a reach, but the short trigger was too short and had sharp edges making it uncomfortable. The PSTR8 is easy to reach and comfortable in DA, and in SA mode it rivals an SAO model. Combined with the SRT, it feels like the closest I can get to a 1911ish experience while shooting a SIG.

iPotato pics:

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/226-stainless-elite-g10-pstr8-1.jpg

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/226-stainless-elite-g10-pstr8-2.jpg
View Quote
That is a very nice gun.

Thank you for showing it.

Makes me want to cerakote or NP3 mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
E2 grips on my P226 and M11A1.  For me, they are perfect.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I LOVE my 226ee's E2 grips!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Do any of the aftermarket grips help prevent holding the slide stop/release down when shooting?

I love the 226 but my one criticism is that the slide doesn't lock back on the last round due to my 1911 type grip.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do any of the aftermarket grips help prevent holding the slide stop/release down when shooting?

I love the 226 but my one criticism is that the slide doesn't lock back on the last round due to my 1911 type grip.
View Quote
There's no real way to shield the slide release from your thumb unless you make the hump even larger, which would then interfere with you getting your thump up high.

One solution is to go with the low-profile style slide stop found on the Legions. Word on the street is it is a P224 slide stop. Only potential issue is that you're now going to a checkered slide stop, not a traditional serrated one, which might prompt you to want to replace all the controls to match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top