Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2017 10:11:42 PM EDT
Where is the best place to buy a conversion barrel for my 226 Legion.  I am wanting to change my 40 into a 9mm and also want a TB.  Who makes the best caliber conversions w/o breaking the bank?  And yes, I understand it will need fitting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is to buy a conversion kit. It's not about just buying another barrel and slapping it in. You also have to deal with magazines and a slide that has an opening for a .40 barrel and a .40 breechface.

Barsto makes a 9mm conversion barrel for SIG .40s but it's pricey.

In second thought, probably your cheapest option is to sell the .40 and just buy a 9mm version.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I was going to suggest the conversion kit also, but it does not look like they offer it in a threaded barrel.
You can get something like a Barsto barrel, they are $315.  the conversion kits are around $400.

People report using the .40 mags with 9mm, but if you want a reliable set up I know I personally would not trust that for other than strictly range use.  So figure on mags (about $25 each for Mec-Gars)
Ideally you would also replace the recoil spring.
I've read that the extractor may be an issue since it is trying to grab a rim that is slightly smaller (further away from the extractor).
You need a conversion barrel as the slide opening on the .40 is bigger than on the 9mm (ie. can't just put on a "normal" 9mm barrel)

For cost, I think the conversion kit is the way to go: new (proper) slide, spring, night sights (correct for 9mm) and a magazine.  That won't help if you want a threaded barrel ($230 from Sig).

Probably best to get the conversion barrel (Bar-sto etc), but I wouldn't rely on other than a range pistol.  Of course, if you shoot a few 100 rounds with no issues it may very well prove itself to be reliable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On second thought, probably your cheapest option is to sell the .40 and just buy a 9mm Legion.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a OEM Sig 9mm barrel and the OD is the same as the 40 barrel. I just bought 3 9mm mags and Im waiting on the 9mm recoil spring to try it. I have also read of people running a Sig OEM threaded 9mm barrel in a 40 slide on other message boards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top