Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2017 1:15:54 PM EDT
Despite my last few negative experiences, I'm back with a Sig.  As a Glock guy, the 320 intrigued me.  Looked like a neat design, but when I handled one, I decided it really wasn't for me.  Then the X series came along.  Pretty much all of my issues with the gun were solved with this one, and it looked to be, short of some stipple work or grip tape, ready to go out of the box.

So, I got mine a few days ago, and I was overall impressed with the gun.  Especially since Sig Academy hooked me up and I got it at a great price.  

So, a few initial observations:

1- The gun is front heavy- that being said, its a "match" oriented gun, so that is understandable.  But it feels more front heavy than my G34 WITH an X300.  However, this doesn't really impact how it points or how fast I can find the front sight.

2- The barrel...another reason why it is front heavy, is impressive for a factory gun.  It appears that they actually hand fit these to the slides, there are polished sections on the slide where the barrel locks up, and the hood length is....perfect.  I haven't thrown calipers on it, but damn.  The barrel has zero fore-aft movement when removed from the frame and the spring is taken out.  I can only imagine what this thing will do at 25 once I find what type of ammunition it likes.  I have a slew of Glocks and have tested them at 25 with different barrels, and my best shooters are those that have a nice firm fit in this dimension, and usually that requires an S3F barrel.  That being said, all of them have dropped in, so its really luck of the draw.  Apex obviously requires the end user to do this with their M&P barrels, and for a good reason- its always had an impact on accuracy.  My 320 barrel is as well fit or even better fit than my old Legion 226 SAO

3- The flat trigger feels great, and breaking at 90* is a nice feature.  Some flat triggers on Glocks break past that mark, and I've never liked it, hence why I stuck with the factory trigger.  For a gun that I still have not fired, the trigger is serviceable.  Its not as smooth as my PPQ, but I imagine once I get some rounds through it, it will smooth out just fine.  The reset is nice and crisp, and while not the shortest I've felt, its very nice, easy to find and feel.  I like it.

4- This is the best factory sight setup I have seen.  I love Dawson sights.  I love fiber optic.  And, this is the slickest integration of an optics-ready platform I have ever seen.  It doesn't impact where the rear sight sits (think MOS Glock/M&P CORE), and if you didn't know better, it doesn't look like its optics ready- very smoothly integrated, best I have seen thus far by a mile.

So with all of that, I do have some questions:

1- Why can't sig figure out how to center a front sight?  Mine is off to the right, by my calculations, enough that at 25 it should be off by nearly 2 inches.  No worries, I have an MGW Pro and a 320 shoe on the way, so I will mechanically center it and call it a day...but I have to admit, stuff like this gave me pause and made me recall why I've sold every Sig I've owned...but at least this is easily fixable and doesn't require me to go through another nightmare with Sig CS.

2-.........the big one.....WTF do I have to do to get a 17 round magazine fit this gun?  I ordered 3.  They won't fit with or without the magwell installed.  I know WITHOUT the magwell, I can trim the ears down and they will fit, but come on.  I know that the frame is different, but I am sort of shocked Sig tweaked it enough that it won't be compatible with regular 320 magazines.

The ultimate goal is to be able to run 17 round magazines WITH the magwell installed.  I can see myself adding another P320 down the line (VTAC most likely) and I would like all my 320 magazines to work in all of my 320's.  Can the current baseplate be modified to work with the magwell?  If not, are there any replacements?

3- I'm not seeing much in the way of trigger components.  I LOVE the flat trigger, but I would be much happier if I could take off about a pound.  I was expecting, based on reviews online, that the 320 trigger was going to smoke my Glocks.  Of course, ALL of my Glocks get a polish job, 3.5 lbs connector, heavy TRS and a light striker spring, but as of this moment, my Glock triggers IMHO are overall better than this gun; that being said, the 320 out of the box IS BETTER than any factory Glock I've felt.  Fair comparison?  No, however, with a few bucks in parts and 15 minutes, I can make a Glock trigger pretty damn nice.  Are there parts available for the 320 that can accomplish a similar effect?  I'd love to lighten the trigger, but NOT reduce the forward force after the break since I prefer a nice push to reset.  Anything out there that will help?

Overall, I like the gun.  Overall, I can promise it won't replace my Glocks, BUT, it will be getting some decent range time....and I can see this gun possibly getting thrown into the duty-gun rotation at some point, assuming all goes well at the range.

Any basic things I need to know?  Basic parts everyone seems to gravitate towards?

Oh yeah, and of course....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the write up. I'm seriously considering getting one.

Your issue with the 17rd mags is concerning. I know the X-5 21rd mag floorplates are more narrow than the standard ones. I suspect it may have something to do with the X-5 frame.  Perhaps a floorplate without the ears might fit?

eta: just from Googling, I wonder if the P250 1st Gen mag floorplates might work?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the write up. I'm seriously considering getting one.

Your issue with the 17rd mags is concerning. I know the X-5 21rd mag floorplates are more narrow than the standard ones. I suspect it may have something to do with the X-5 frame.  Perhaps a floorplate without the ears might fit?

eta: just from Googling, I wonder if the P250 1st Gen mag floorplates might work?
View Quote
The ears are definitely a problem.  They will not allow the magazine to seat in the X-frame, period.  Doesn't matter if the magwell is on or off, ain't happening.  They can EASILY be removed though, and I don't mind doing that.

Problem is, I really like the mag well.  I want the magwell to work with 17 round magazines.   I'm not sure if the current basepad can be ground down enough to work with the magwell, without compromising the integrity of the base plate.  if I added a taper on the left and right, I would have to remove material next to the groove where the body of the mag locks into the base plate.

I'll tear one down later this week and see, but I don't know if it will work.

That being said, the VTAC will be out soon, so I know that if I remove the magwell, factory baseplates will be available that will work with the frame, but since sig made this to be a "compatible with everything, swap parts around and you're good" type of design, I find it absolutely mind blowing that they would release a frame that a standard mag won't work in without modification.

Ordinarily, I'd fix the problem by just buying 21 round magazines, but at 45+ per mag vs 32 or so for the 17 rounders....that would get expensive fast.  

But on the face of it, I don't think there is a way to get the 17 round magazines to work with the X Frame with the magwell installed.  I just don't see that there is enough room in there to even modify a stock baseplate to fit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the review. I'm interested in these also. 
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the review, for trigger I'd look at the Apex Advanced flat trigger. I don't know if this is the trigger in the X5 or not though.

As for the magazine issue, imo I don't see that as an issue. The gun was designed to use the 21rd magazine, trying to get a 17rd mag to fit is akin to complaining that a g26 magazine won't fit in you g17.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the review, for trigger I'd look at the Apex Advanced flat trigger. I don't know if this is the trigger in the X5 or not though.

As for the magazine issue, imo I don't see that as an issue. The gun was designed to use the 21rd magazine, trying to get a 17rd mag to fit is akin to complaining that a g26 magazine won't fit in you g17.
View Quote
To a point I am with you, but I considered that the x series frames are available on the VTAC and X carry, without a magwell, and both come with 17 round magazines, yet with different baseplates.  

They did design this frame to be run with 17 rounders.  They just won't work with the ones currently available, and I can see that being an issue to some buyers.  

I wouldn't want my g34 and g17 to require two different sets of magazines either.

Either way, for me...not a huge deal.  I have no desire to own a non-X series P320, but felt it was worth mentioning here incase others, like myself, were unaware of this.  I simply will modify my magazines, but ultimately want to find a 17 round solution and keep the magwell solely because the 17 rounders are cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:12:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Gray Guns trigger is supposed to take 1.25lbs off and others are trimming the tabs on the 17 round mags.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gray Guns trigger is supposed to take 1.25lbs off and others are trimming the tabs on the 17 round mags.
View Quote
Since I already have a flat trigger, it appears that the only real benefit would be the spring.....my guess is that spring is also what pushes the trigger forward after reset?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Since I already have a flat trigger, it appears that the only real benefit would be the spring.....my guess is that spring is also what pushes the trigger forward after reset?
View Quote
Negative, the geometry of The GG trigger is different from stock. The spring only makes a small difference in weight.

I can absolutely recommend the GG trigger btw. It is excellent.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Negative, the geometry of The GG trigger is different from stock. The spring only makes a small difference in weight.

I can absolutely recommend the GG trigger btw. It is excellent.
View Quote
Great to hear.  Still a forceful push forward, after the break to get the trigger to reset or does this trigger reduce that push?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
This picture alone makes me want to buy an X-5.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This picture alone makes me want to buy an X-5.
View Quote
I don't think you'd be disappointed.  Again, short of a more aggressive grip, there's really nothing else it needs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:16:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Great to hear.  Still a forceful push forward, after the break to get the trigger to reset or does this trigger reduce that push?
View Quote
If you don't use the spring, the reset remains the same. The spring will lower your pull weight a little bit, but at a small cost in the strength of reset.

Coming from Glocks, I really thought I'd hate the softer reset, but I don't notice it at all, especially when shooting. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Admittedly not a huge Sig fan, but man this X5 looks awesome
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Admittedly not a huge Sig fan, but man this X5 looks awesome
View Quote
Thanks.  For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat.  I've had some extremely negative experiences with Sig, and really never saw myself getting another one.  However, when someone does something right, I try not to let a bias interfere with a potentially positive experience.

This one looks like a winner.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for putting up the reviews… I'm very interested to see how accurate this gun is
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for putting up the reviews… I'm very interested to see how accurate this gun is
View Quote
Once I get some trigger time on it, I will absolutely be bagging it and testing at 25Y.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Is the trigger group the same , meaning will the x-5 trigger go into any of the other 320 options ?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is the trigger group the same , meaning will the x-5 trigger go into any of the other 320 options ?
View Quote
Pretty sure.

What street price on these are people seeing?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty sure.

What street price on these are people seeing?
View Quote
$775.00 last week in Idaho Falls.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

$775.00 last week in Idaho Falls.
View Quote
That's a great price and under MAP which is $849
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#22]
So help me understand this magazine issue

I would be removing the magwell for USPSA.  Are the mags going to seat cleanly?  Or am I going to be messing with it constantly?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So help me understand this magazine issue

I would be removing the magwell for USPSA.  Are the mags going to seat cleanly?  Or am I going to be messing with it constantly?
View Quote
The standard P320 mag floorplates have ears on the sides which fit into cutouts in the bottom of the frame.

The X-Five frame does not have these cutouts, thus a standard P320 magazine will not seat.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone seeing detailed accuracy reports?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top