Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2017 6:59:58 PM EDT
I am going to pick up a police trade in P226 in a couple days. In case it needs it, what springs should I replace to have a easier time of it in double action?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I run this in mine.  18lb hammer spring.  Around 1K and no light strikes.

Wolff Hammer Springs
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
18# is what I run too
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
A lighter main spring will lighten pull a bit, but don't expect it to be like a professional action job. 

How low to go depends on what you will use the gun for. Range only... I've run 17 pounders which reliably touched off everything except an occasional S&B which are know for hard primers. 18 pounders seemed to work for just about anything.  For critical defense duty... 19# is as light as I'd go.

Police trade ins are usually US manufactured pistols with the newer style short spring and strut and plastic base pad. But check before you order a spring. You may need the old style longer spring, which BTW is a royal PITA to change. I would change out the entire strut set up if it had the old style spring deal. A few more bucks but it sure makes switching out springs much easier.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lighter main spring will lighten pull a bit, but don't expect it to be like a professional action job. 

How low to go depends on what you will use the gun for. Range only... I've run 17 pounders which reliably touched off everything except an occasional S&B which are know for hard primers. 18 pounders seemed to work for just about anything.  For critical defense duty... 19# is as light as I'd go.

Police trade ins are usually US manufactured pistols with the newer style short spring and strut and plastic base pad. But check before you order a spring. You may need the old style longer spring, which BTW is a royal PITA to change. I would change out the entire strut set up if it had the old style spring deal. A few more bucks but it sure makes switching out springs much easier.
View Quote
good thinking
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The only thing I would add is to replace all of the springs that you can. They are cheap and are easy enough to replace. When I buy a trade in,that is what I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top