Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2017 6:58:58 PM EDT
I have noticed after purchasing new Sig's that they hold no value compared to other firearms... I mean you spend $1100 on a new p229 9mm EE and shoot less than 100 rounds.. all the sudden it's worth $700 -$800????  but you buy a Glock for $550, maybe add $100 in parts shoot 500-1000 rounds and it is worth $550 to $650 still?  am I missing something?  I have my eye on a new Sig but I am hesitant on the purchase...  Sig owners lose a few hundred for driving their gun out of the lot while Glock owners drive it out and beat on it a bit and get back the investment... just confused...
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats crazy aint it, but yet it is hard to find a used Sig. Just not that popular would be my guess.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Try finding a P228 to get a spare.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
and I am a Sig guy..I own 5 and I purchased two of them BN... I just found it odd that when I went to sell one of the ones I purchased new, there going for like $400-$500 less than I paid ....
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats crazy aint it, but yet it is hard to find a used Sig. Just not that popular would be my guess.
View Quote
I think it this. I'm a Sig guy. I would love to have Glock for a while to try to compare, but not that enthusiastic either.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Because they are overpriced to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think it this. I'm a Sig guy. I would love to have Glock for a while to try to compare, but not that enthusiastic either.
View Quote
I really liked my Sig 1911's, dont have any now. Sold both my Glocks too, didn't like them at all, dont know what guys see in them.
I still have a Sig 556 AR, love that thing for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Came here to post this.

I like Sigs, but they are overpriced.  Same with HK.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It also depends on WHEN they were made. I have a couple of older P226's that have frames made in Germany. They command a much higher price than the stuff being cranked out of Exeter, New Hampshire. New Sigs are priced like they're still made in Germany however.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
No different than a Browning. New HP's are in the $900 retail range and you can get a nice used Belgian for the same or less!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have noticed after purchasing new Sig's that they hold no value compared to other firearms... I mean you spend $1100 on a new p229 9mm EE and shoot less than 100 rounds.. all the sudden it's worth $700 -$800????  but you buy a Glock for $550, maybe add $100 in parts shoot 500-1000 rounds and it is worth $550 to $650 still?  am I missing something?  I have my eye on a new Sig but I am hesitant on the purchase...  Sig owners lose a few hundred for driving their gun out of the lot while Glock owners drive it out and beat on it a bit and get back the investment... just confused...
View Quote
$1100 is way fucking high for a p229. I mean no disrespect to the OP. If you paid $1100 for a NIB P229, suggest that you learn how to shop on the internet and to buy over the internet. $850 is about average online for a P229, if you shopped real hard you mite find one for $789ish, and most likely you would be buying out of state, so you pay no state sales tax.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#12]
He said EE, so Enhanced Elite. Yeah, those will run $1000+.

To me, it's market demand. The guy looking for a SIG like the P229 EE is going to look at one used for $900 and say, "what's another hundred dollars or so to get a new one as opposed to risking the buyer-beware used market?"  You gotta take a bigger hit to make them interested. The Glock market is different, where everyone seems to tweak them out. If you're selling a used Glock with the upgrades someone wants already done, you can get most of your money back out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It also depends on WHEN they were made. I have a couple of older P226's that have frames made in Germany. They command a much higher price than the stuff being cranked out of Exeter, New Hampshire. New Sigs are priced like they're still made in Germany however.
View Quote
The folded sheet mtl  slides  of the older Sig's are better balanced and less bulky , older made in Germany  p220's and p226's are my favorite . As far as loosing value ,you need to buy them at the right time and right price. Sig's are always top quality and as such command a higher price. Nothing of value is cheap any more . We live in inflationary times . Just price a new full sized pick up truck and you will understand.
As for value , I just bought a Sig 320 compact in 45ACP for $499.99 . That is about the same price as a Glock , and you can feel the quality the first time you pick up a Sig . FYI I just installed the Apex flat trigger in it and it feels better and it did drop the pull about 2 pounds . FYI the Vedder light tuck IWB holster fits it great and wears real comfortable .
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

229 enhanced Elite in 40 for... yep... 799...

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-p229-enhanced-elite-40s-w.html?___SID=U

Buy a conversion barrel and save the rest of your money... or get a replacement top end in the conversion for 350 and have two calibers...

Also just gonna leave this here...

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-229-extreme-9mm.html?___SID=U

Links left cold cause IDGAF and am in a shitty mood.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Any SIG like any variant of the 229 or 226 should never be purchased for more than $900.  They can be found and or even negotiated to that or less at most shops that carry a lot of SIG merch.  

if you pay full retail for something it's going to depreciate just like a car.  You also gotta remember that most buyers start to max out around $700 when it comes to buying a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]
People are not willing to spend that kind of money on a new used gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Just because people are asking high prices for used glocks doesn't mean the buyer is actually getting their asking price.

If they are, it might have more to do with the limited brain activity of the average glock buyer....

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I have bought, sold and traded many different pistols over the years and have always taken a hit. Some more than others. We, gun people, are the worst customers around. We always want the lowest price for something and even when we know it is a fair/decent price we will try to get it even lower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I have bought all of my SIG P22X pistols used, all at half the cost of new list price.

That is a good value for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:09:40 AM EDT
[#20]
HK45s seem to take an even bigger hit...

I think alot of Sig customers would rather buy new so used takes a hit.  Glocks are legendary, or used to be anyway for always running regardless of abuse so people may feel more comfortable buy a used one.

Plus a used gun at $400 will always have a bigger market than a used one for $700 plus...
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:18:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I'm picking up a P224 9mm for $500 tomorrow. So, how'd I do?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Sig's are like woman.
Nobody wants a used road whore that some other man has had his paws all over, When you can pay a little more for a fine untouched virgin.
With that said it's all about the new car smell mentality of men.
That's why we pay over a $1000 for new, when in reality the guns worth is less compared to other guns on the market.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#23]
OP, as i stated earlier learn to shop better on-line CDNN has P229 E. E 9MM. NIB on the website for $799. Nothing can be done if you out smart your self I been doing this shit a long time, plus i am cheap. $1100 is not a good price for a Legion, but certainly not a P229 E.E. Only a rich man can afford to impulse buy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sig's are like woman.
Nobody wants a used road whore that some other man has had his paws all over, When you can pay a little more for a fine untouched virgin.
With that said it's all about the new car smell mentality of men.
That's why we pay over a $1000 for new, when in reality the guns worth is less compared to other guns on the market.
View Quote
Just have to look in the right places.  I picked up a basically new p229 for $500.  If it was sitting next to a new one when I bought it, I don't think you would have been able to pick which one was the used one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Right now it's a Sig buyer's market as police agencies are changing over to the more woman-friendly 9mm and dumping their .40s.  The used market is priced low because Sigs are very popular with police departments, and right now the supply is high.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
best used Sig deals from last couple years:

Two tone P220 from the mid 90s, believe its from the first batch of guns assembled in NH made of all german parts, 99% condition, $450 OTD

Fairly recent vintage P226R .40 S&W, possibly unfired, $475 plus tax

Legion P229, purchased by first owner two weeks prior, $800 plus tax with a blackpoint IWB holster

for me to buy new, it has to be something I really want...
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#27]
One of the best investments in firearms right now are tripled serial Sigs and pre-lock Smiths. If you doubt me just check the prices in relation to what they cost when new. I stumbled across a 1977 P-220 imported by Hawes in 9 MM last week on GB for 579 plus shipping in like new condition. 38 Super 220's are through the roof. Good deals are still out there but one must be patient, which is hard to do when you see something you think you can't do without. But remember, a bargain is something cheap when you need it. JM2CW
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top