Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2017 4:27:47 PM EDT
Just wanted to share my story. CSB replies acceptable. 

So my first handgun was a Sig P6 I bought when I turned 21. It was in the middle of the surplus import wave, and they were cheap and plentiful. Being a poor college kid, but knowing that Sig was a "cool" brand, I bought one not knowing much else about them. 

Turned out the P6 I bought was in really poor shape. Its barrel was missing the grooves in places (don't know how they did that to it), and it had been dropped numerous times in its life, so the frame and slide were scarred pretty well. The grips were loose, and the magazines were worn out. It was basically awful.

I sold it a little bit later for a small profit as the supply was starting to dwindle, and bought my first HK. I've always missed the P6 though, it was such a neat size with the single stack grip. 

Recently I found a 225 on the EE here, and everything just lined up for me to purchase it. I've been beat in buying the last 4 or 5 that popped up, just not quick enough. 

It was made in 1986, and served in the Swiss police. It actually has an engraving on the top of the slide with the shield of the Swiss state it served in, pretty neat. The slide was pretty scratched up, but the frame looked great. Also managed to pick up some brand new Sig mags for it (not Promag!). 

I replaced the sights with new Trijicon night sights, replaced the recoil spring, decocker spring, and trigger bar spring, along with the grip screws. I also gave it a pretty good cleaning, and removed years of gunk.

I then used cold blue on the slide, and what a difference that made! Most of the marks on the slide vanished, and the engravings on the slide popped like they were new. Some of the marks are still visible, but it just adds to the character. The areas that had been worn to the bare metal have simply vanished, blended right in with the rest of the slide. 

It shoots almost as well as my new M11A1. I'm extremely happy with it, and have fulfilled my nostalgic yearnings for my first pistol. 

Before:

Attachment Attached File

After:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pistol OP. Looks similar to mine but mine's a P6.

Couple things on mine: it didn't like to feed hollowpoint ammo until I had the feed ramp polished. I haven't really tested it out since I had that done, just a few dozen rounds since then. Also I had changed the recoil spring and it didn't like that too much either.

I still have it and shoot it occasionally but it's been replaced for CCW.

How difficult was it to replace the sights? I don't like the stock sights on mine.

I think they look really nice with the stock wood grips on them also.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I forgot that part, my original P6 wouldn't feed hollow points either. This 225 ate my HST 147's without any issue, but from what I understand 225's have always been designed to run hollow points, whereas the P6's were supposed to be FMJ only.

I'm surprised yours didn't like the new recoil spring. 

I have a universal sight tool I use on all my pistols to swap sights - except apparently classic Sig's don't fit in it! So I bit the bullet and bought a Sig specific sight pusher, and with that it was very easy to swap the sights. An expensive investment ($120 on amazon), but useful to have. 

I don't really see myself CCWing this too often, as its only 8+1 but still the same size as my USP Compact and P2000. I see this more as a fun gun, or when I want to wear something "classier" or more personal, if that makes sense. Mainly I got it for my son to learn on, I though it'd be neat for him to learn to shoot on the same handgun (type) I learned on. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice story. Congrats on what looks like an awesome gun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
A thing of beauty. Congrats on the nice refurbish job
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome pistol!  I bought a P6 back when they were plentiful...I regret not buying two.  I gave mine to my brother when he graduated from SF school.  I'll replace mine as soon as I have the funds and am not distracted with another "must have" toy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Love my P6!  ( and yes, that is a 225 hammer )

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm a big fan of the 225/P6. I don't know that I'll ever warm up to a crunch ticker as a primary HD or carry gun, but the single stack folded slide Sig's just feel good in the hand. They're also nice to look at, in an industrial sort of way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the 225/P6. I don't know that I'll ever warm up to a crunch ticker as a primary HD or carry gun, but the single stack folded slide Sig's just feel good in the hand. They're also nice to look at, in an industrial sort of way.
View Quote
I'd say its probably my favorite handgun to grip, it just fits me so well. I agree that there's something about the old Sigs that is just pleasing to look at. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#11]
The P6/225 is just one of those guns you CAN'T keep your hands off of.  Mine is still a work in progress....but despite all of its foibles at the moment...it still runs like a sewing machine...a very high quality one.

Looks like I maybe been sending it for an official rebuild, though, because I can't seem to keep the breech block tight in the slide.  Despite that.....the gun runs fantastically.

The G10 grips are something that needs to be sent back in time.....as it's like G10 was MADE for the P22X series of guns.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The P6/225 is just one of those guns you CAN'T keep your hands off of.  Mine is still a work in progress....but despite all of its foibles at the moment...it still runs like a sewing machine...a very high quality one.

Looks like I maybe been sending it for an official rebuild, though, because I can't seem to keep the breech block tight in the slide.  Despite that.....the gun runs fantastically.

The G10 grips are something that needs to be sent back in time.....as it's like G10 was MADE for the P22X series of guns.
View Quote
I was considering sending it in for the Sig service/refurb, but I think for now I handled everything I'd want them to do. Have you tried a new roll pin for the breech block? 

I haven't looked into the G10 grips yet, these are in pretty good shape still. The ones on my original P6 wobbled and creaked, but these are solid. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was considering sending it in for the Sig service/refurb, but I think for now I handled everything I'd want them to do. Have you tried a new roll pin for the breech block? 

I haven't looked into the G10 grips yet, these are in pretty good shape still. The ones on my original P6 wobbled and creaked, but these are solid. 
View Quote
I've done BOTH new pins ( correctly AND twice ) AND I have fitted a new breeh block AND new pins.  Nada.  Time to let the pros at it.  I gotta get through my ISO audit first and then I am gonna call Sig on Thursday or Friday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top