Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 3:36:31 AM EDT
I got the gun cheap, $350, in really good shape, some scuffs on the beavertail and a little wear on the front of the grips. When I got the gun, it was one of the dirtiest ones I've ever bought. I used about a half can of "Gun Scrubber" to clean it out and test fired it and it had no issues. The DAO trigger was beyond heavy, so heavy, I wondered why it was like that. I compared it to a friend's DAO 220, and it was about 50% heavier. It maxed out a friend's digital trigger pull scale, I would guess it was about 15 pounds, and it had a "sting" through my finger when I fired it. I had ordered the parts to convert it over to DA/SA. I liked the nickel controls, so the new decocker and hammer were nickel too. So Sat night, I sat down in front of the PC and found one of the many Sig P226 disasembly videos and went at it. It came apart very easily, and I discovered it was still really dirty. Under the locking block was a mix of powder residue, oil, grease, and some aluminum particles. I spent a while cleaning it out and was amazed how nasty it still was. It went back together ok, the locking block reinstall was the most difficult thing, followed closely by the sear and disconnect. I was kind of shocked when it worked the first time! Only mishap was the decocker spring went off into space, and so far, I haven't seen it since. I had another one, so it wasn't a big deal. I guess the cleaning helped a little, the DA pull is a little better. I had a reduced power hammer spring, but it was the short one, and this gun takes a long one, so I ordered a pack of reduced power ones from Wolff. I found a weak spring that actually fit in my junk drawer, and I installed it for grins and the DA pull was super smooth, but it wouldn't have fired a primer, it was too weak. It showed that there was nothing in the gun making the DA pull so hard, so dropping 5 pounds off the spring (Or maybe more), should help tremendously.

One thing I gained with this project, I'm not scared to work on a Sig anymore. I still have misgivings about working on other guns because punches have to be used, but I'll be fine replacing parts on my Sigs from now on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not so difficult.  I traded for two Texas DPS P229s in .357 SIG a few years back. I converted them both and went with the Short Reset Trigger kit and a short trigger.

The DAO is really crappy!

You will be happy!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a 220 DAK and  I'm wanting to convert it to TDA. Where did you get your parts from and how much did it cost you?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My 'working on guns' disease started many years ago with a simple trigger swap on my first pistol, a p226.   It's gotten a lot worse since
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought a 220 DAK and  I'm wanting to convert it to TDA. Where did you get your parts from and how much did it cost you?
View Quote
I love my P220 DAK, and would never want to convert it. I bought some of the parts for the P226 conversion from Top Gun Supply and a couple more off Ebay. Total for a nickel hammer, nickel decocking lever, spring, and decock bearing was about $60, all new Sig parts. I got the nickel stuff because the gun has nickel controls and trigger, and I like the way it looks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I did the same conversion on my brother in laws NYPD 226.  Damn trigger was like 12 lbs.
or something obscene like that.  It was actually tiring to shoot after a few mags.  Easy conversion though, good job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top