Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 1:17:19 PM EDT
What would I need to purchase in order to go from a Sig p226 in 40 cal to 9mm? I've looked around and read that you only need a mag, BBL, and spring change. I've also read you need a complete slide kit.. Also, does it matter whether it's a 226 elite or not?

Thank you hive!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a non-rail with a Barsto conversion barrel. Silencerco 9mm threaded barrel fits also.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a non-rail with a Barsto conversion barrel. Silencerco 9mm threaded barrel fits also.
View Quote
So all I need is the BBL?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So all I need is the BBL?
View Quote
The OD of .40/.357 barrel is different than a 9mm barrel so you need a conversion kit including slide to do it with factory parts. There's a few aftermarket companies that make 9mm conversion barrels to fit a .40/357 slide such as Bar-Sto and EFK Fire Dragon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I sprung the coin and bought a caliber exchange kit from Sig not too long ago. I was having problems finding conversion barrels.

If you buy from Sig, don't do the dumb fedex smart post, it takes about 20 days to deliver meanwhile Sig shipped in 2 days
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmm, besides not being from Sig, what potential pit falls am I overlooking with buying a conversion bbl?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hmmmm, besides not being from Sig, what potential pit falls am I overlooking with buying a conversion bbl?
View Quote
Some of them need to be fitted.  I think Sig warns about that even if buy a barrel from them.
Pretty sure need new recoil spring also.
I've heard (on this site) that you can use the .40 mags with 9mm, but not as reliable as 9mm mags.

I think the main thing is to make sure you get a conversion barrel, not just a 9mm barrel.  As mentioned previously the hole in the slide is larger for the .40 barrel, so the 9mm conversion barrel has a larger outer diameter to accommodate for it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, consider the Caliber x-change kit.  For $407 MSRP you get the kit.  Bar-sto conversion barrel is $225.  For an extra $132 you get a slide, with night sights, the recoil spring and one magazine.

I think the sight heights are different for 9mm v. .40, so to really do it right you would need new sights.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep..  Top Gun Supply sometimes have them in stock..
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me know if you want to sell the .40 barrel
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry my P226 40 with a Barsto 9mm conversion barrel as my carry gun. Lots of others have shot it and they all hit where they are aiming. I haven't changed anything but barrel and mags. I also just shot it in my backyard with Silencerco 9mm threaded with Mystic X on it. Worked just fine. If you want to spend extra money changing crap and buying complete uppers then have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top