Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2017 11:50:35 AM EDT
So with the caliber change capability of the P320. Do you think they will ever have kits for 10mm or .38 Super?

PROs: 10mm seems to be making a comeback as of late. They could market it to hunters. .38 Super could be marketed more at the personal defense or competition realm.

CONs: Having not played with a 320 yet, I'm not sure if 10mm will fit on the 9mm/40/.357Sig FCG. It may have to go on the .45ACP FCG, which you would lose some interchangeability with the rest of the platform. .38 Super may have some issues with feeding in DS magazines, which may kill it.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The 357 Sig blows the doors off factory 38 Super ammo, and is readily available in most areas.

10mm is too long for the small frame but may be possible for the 45 ACP frame, but you'd need a different slide and magazine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
.38 Super is probably DOA. But i think the case for 10mm could be made. Looks like for most caliber conversions you need a new magazine anyhow. I think a 10mm TACOPS 320 might be fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
.38 Super doesn't play well with double stack magazines.  However, 9x23mm Winchester does.

10mm should be possible.

Both are probably miles down the road, or may not happen at all.  I suspect they are selling well enough in the standard chamberings.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like 38 Super, it's a great caliber. As I'm probably going to buy a P320 soon, I would not mind at all if a 38 Super kit became available. I'm buying the 320 for the same reason that I bought an AR15, the ability in bad times to use commonly available mil-spec ammunition, parts and accessories. I'll probably pick up a 357 Sig kit, simply because 9MM is not a caliber I'm particularly fond of. But I'd buy a 38 Super kit long before I'd buy a 357 Sig kit.

Not really sure I care one way or the other about a 10MM P320. I already own a nice 1911 in 10MM, and I'll be picking up a P220 DA/SA, as soon as Lipsey's next order gets filled (I really like 10MM). Unless I fall in love with the P320 enough to buy one in 45ACP, I won't buy one in 10MM either. I'm a hard core fan of the 1911 platform, as well as the P220 platform (might snag a P220 in 38 Super if the right deal comes along). I'm looking at a P227. The P320 is going to have to be a really great piece to lure me away from the 1911 and P22X platforms.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge 1911 fan. One thing I don't have yet is a 10mm variant. Now that STI cancelled their line I'm looking at the SIG 1911 TACOPS 10mm. I'm waiting to see if I can find one on the MIL/LE discount program.

But with the possibilities of the P320 platform I was curious to see what the hive thought of other calibers beyond what's already offered. 10mm has a strong following and seems to be getting popular again. .38Super has had niche following but their might be some demand, but would that demand be enough to justify the conversion kits?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I honestly don't know.

The adoption of the P320 will likely drive sales, and maybe entice people who compete to try it. The 38 Super is still a decent chambering for competition. And really, it's not going to take a ton of work and changes to create a 38 Super kit.

Without having one here in hand, or actually both a 9MM and a 45ACP version, it's hard to say what will be required to do one in 10MM. It may be more involved than the 38 Super. And SIG Sauer took a while to come around to the 10MM, not sure how happy they are being in that segment of the market.

I have nothing against either concept, I hope they do both, just because variety and options are rarely anything but good for the market, so long as they're good, but I have to wonder how much they'll be interested in more development while they're trying to ramp up for the contract, especially since the military contract will almost surely drive some law enforcement sales.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
What the military contract will do (assuming Glocks protest fails) will stabilize Sigs cash flow. That may lead to some money for R&D on other options. We're already seeing some other agencies pick it up just like with Beretta after the M9 was adopted. Which will also bring in cash and help the return in investment and bottom line.

I would like to think if their is a solid business case to be made you could see them. I think 10mm is more likely. It would give them another angle to go up against Glocks G20 with. I would like to see .38 Super as well, mainly from a competition side. I also think a compact or sub-compact in .38 Super would be interesting. A bit more power than 9mm. But again as pointed out earlier you've got issues of it feeding from DS magazines. Also I think it is a bit to close to .357SIG for Sigs comfort.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I think we've overlooked something.

Sig already makes a .40 upper with a .40 breech face that plays well with the FCG and grip.

It doesn't have to be Sig Sauer that makes the kit.  Using several already available Sig parts it couldn't be too difficult for some manufacturer to supply a barrel and magazines.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think we've overlooked something.

Sig already makes a .40 upper with a .40 breech face that plays well with the FCG and grip.

It doesn't have to be Sig Sauer that makes the kit.  Using several alreay available Sig parts it couldn't be too difficult for some manufacturer to supply a barrel and magazines.
View Quote

You bring up a good point. What's it to stop somebody from making a conversion kit for one of the other two calibers. There are probably plenty of smiths out there with the knowledge to do so. For example look at all the 1911 clones in oddball calibers or the guys upgrading Glocks to different offerings.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]
10mm is definitely doable, especially on the 45 slide/frame, but you're going to be waiting a long time for SIG to do it.

I'm still waiting on a damned small compact grip module, so...
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
10mm is definitely doable, especially on the 45 slide/frame, but you're going to be waiting a long time for SIG to do it.

View Quote

That sucks on the grip module.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  You bring up a good point. What's it to stop somebody from making a conversion kit for one of the other two calibers. There are probably plenty of smiths out there with the knowledge to do so. For example look at all the 1911 clones in oddball calibers or the guys upgrading Glocks to different offerings.
View Quote

Magazines.  Ask MadMachinist how much it costs to get started producing a simple straight box mag.  10x25mm & 9x23mm will fit in the .45" frame, barrels are relatively easy for folks already producing variant pistol bbls for other platforms.  Sticking point will be the magazines.  However, given the grips can be 3-D printed, an existing magazine might be able to be adapted - and a different grip made for it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I picked up a subcompact frame in small on the EE here to compare to my subcompact medium.  I was expecting there to be only a slight, hardly noticeable difference but I was wrong.  The small is very small, almost too small.  Wife likes it, but I'm on the fence.  I like that the small doesn't have the rail.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Magazines.  Ask MadMachinist how much it costs to get started producing a simple straight box mag.  10x25mm & 9x23mm will fit in the .45" frame, barrels are relatively easy for folks already producing variant pistol bbls for other platforms.  Sticking point will be the magazines.  However, given the grips can be 3-D printed, an existing magazine might be able to be adapted - and a different grip made for it.
View Quote

Figured it would likely be the magazines. But still it has been fun to discuss and dream. I think a bunch of possibilities are present with this platform that we could adapt it to over its lifespan. I just wanted to see what the challenges and interest for 10mm and .38 Super would be as they seem to be the next logical steps beyond the common SA pistol chamberings.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]
All of the separate frame pistols have a LOT of potential, and the 320 has the stamp of military acceptance and a ton of magazines behind it.  The internal frames are relatively easy to make for homebuilders, and the grips are easily 3-D printed & can take different magazines.  Now that it's been established that the 9x19mm slide will fit on the .45" frame, I'm waiting for someone to see if a Glock magazine will line up correctly.  Then it's just agitating for someone to sell a ton of Glock magazine grip modules for the .45" frame.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#16]
A P320 10mm? You'd have my attention as I do love that cartridge but unless it comes in a 15 round magazine that isn't an arm and a leg to buy spares, this is all a wet dream that will never happen.

It would have to be a full size for my consideration.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#17]
.40 Slide
.40 barrel bored out to 10mm (or wait until custom aftermarket barrels come out)
.45 FCU
.45 frame and good luck with mags or
Aftermarket frame that'll fit a non- Glock double stack 10mm mag.

That's about the only way you'll get one sooner than SIG putting one out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't had a chance to play with one yet. Will a .40 slide fit on the .45 frame and FCG? Anyone know.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, the 9/357/40 FCU  and the 45 FCU are the same dimensionally, so a 40 Slide should go right on.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes, the 9/357/40 FCU  and the 45 FCU are the same dimensionally, so a 40 Slide should go right on.
View Quote
+1 yup, I have both 9mm and 45 320s and the frames between them, and FCU fitting inside them, are identical (other than obvious magwell differences). I can put the 45 FCU in a 9mm frame and vice versa. I haven't tried slide interchangeability yet but I'd be very, very surprised if they weren't interchangeable as well.

The biggest differences between the 9 and 45 are the magwell, and the slide - the 45 slide is a bit wider than the 9mm. On a 9mm the slide is a tiny bit narrower than the grip module...the 45 is a tiny bit wider than the grip module. Hence while the 45 would probably fit in a Kydex holster for the 9mm...it'll be a really, really tight fit, and good luck wrenching the thing out under stress

Edit- and I'd be all over either a 10mm or 38 Super kit. 38 Super compact, 15+1? Yes please...I know in my brain that .357 Sig is probably the "wiser" choice, but 38 super just speaks to me in a way that 357Sig can't
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#21]
If you've got a 45 already it would be pretty easy to swap a recoil spring out and shoot 45Super out of it. 

Not quite like the cult of 10MM or 38Super but it is another caliber option. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you've got a 45 already it would be pretty easy to swap a recoil spring out and shoot 45Super out of it. 

View Quote
I hadn't even considered 45Super. But it is another intriguing possibility. I think the platform has some room for growth. I just figured that 10mm and 38Super would be the next logical steps.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hadn't even considered 45Super. But it is another intriguing possibility. I think the platform has some room for growth. I just figured that 10mm and 38Super would be the next logical steps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it will handle .45 Super just fine with a heavier recoil spring.

I took my new P:320 in .45 full size yesterday and was overwhelmed with joy at how easy it was to shoot it. Firing pairs was just as fast as shooting a 9x19. Incredible.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Why not just pick up a Glock 20. It's plastic striker fired handgun that shoots 10mm Auto. I'm not a big Glock fan, but as a 10mm fan I have to say it's a great gun!! I personally wish S&W would make a 10mm M&P, but I'm not holding my breath since it's not a very common/popular caliber anymore. The Glock fills the role quite nicely. I also like the 1911/2011 in 10mm as well. Sig actually came out with a 10mm P220. Witness makes a CZ75 clone in 10mm. And of course the S&W 1006 is pretty sweet and collectable. But yeah 10mm is a cool caliber. I also first started with 45 Super in my 1911 to see if I liked the extra power. And of course I did, haha. But I found the Glock 20 10mm to be a lot better, more rounds, less recoil, more reliable. For hunting I'd go Glock 40 10mm, long slide version and you can put a red dot on it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I would think it would be pretty easy to piece one together, take a .45 and mate it to a .40 upper. You would have to have the barrel reamed by a smith and change the springs for the more powerful cartridge. The only hang up would be magazine followers, I don't think the .45 followers would work but the mag bodies should though. I have been thinking about doing this myself....
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why not just pick up a Glock 20. It's plastic striker fired handgun that shoots 10mm Auto. I'm not a big Glock fan, but as a 10mm fan I have to say it's a great gun!! I personally wish S&W would make a 10mm M&P, but I'm not holding my breath since it's not a very common/popular caliber anymore. The Glock fills the role quite nicely. I also like the 1911/2011 in 10mm as well. Sig actually came out with a 10mm P220. Witness makes a CZ75 clone in 10mm. And of course the S&W 1006 is pretty sweet and collectable. But yeah 10mm is a cool caliber. I also first started with 45 Super in my 1911 to see if I liked the extra power. And of course I did, haha. But I found the Glock 20 10mm to be a lot better, more rounds, less recoil, more reliable. For hunting I'd go Glock 40 10mm, long slide version and you can put a red dot on it.
View Quote
You make a lot of excellent points. I am looking at a 10mm 1911 to fill the void in my arsenal. But I'll be getting a 320 first since sooner or later I'm going to have to qualify with one (same reason I own a Beretta 92, practice on something close to issue).

I wanted to see people's thoughts on doing a 320 in other calibers since the 320 potentially offers that capability. This has been a fun academic discussion. I think there could be a market out there for other calibers. Or at least enough interest for people to make conversions on their own. From this thread it seems 10mm dominates
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Well if we are on the caliber bandwagon. 460Roland would be an option as well. Just need to ream the 45 chamber a little longer and have an extension added to the muzzle and threaded for a comp. 
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why not just pick up a Glock 20. It's plastic striker fired handgun that shoots 10mm Auto. I'm not a big Glock fan, but as a 10mm fan I have to say it's a great gun!!
View Quote
No offense, but "no habla Glock".
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#30]
It's a valid question as Sig is manufacturing .38 Super ammo
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:22:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
They also make .357 Magnum.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/357mag-125gr-elite-ball-fmj.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:35:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Comparing both side by aside and some of the measurements I took internally, I think that it could be done. We just need to bug the heck out of Sig to do it for us though

G20 gen 4 and P320 .45 ACP.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They also make .357 Magnum.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/357mag-125gr-elite-ball-fmj.html
As well as a decently peppy line of 10mm AUTO, in either FMJ or V-Crown HP.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Comparing both side by aside and some of the measurements I took internally, I think that it could be done. We just need to bug the heck out of Sig to do it for us though

G20 gen 4 and P320 .45 ACP.

http://i.imgur.com/HxRN7NW.jpg
View Quote
I'm thinking about writing SIG and asking. If SIg thinks the market would support it we may have a shot at production conversion kits.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I would buy one for sure never been that big of a Glock fan even though I have a quite a few.
A p320 10mm would be awesome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top