Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2017 4:49:37 PM EDT
My P938 started dropping mags last month (purchased new in Dec 2014). Verified I wasn't bumping the release.

Called Sig, they were helpful but won't send me the spring and catch. Said they would update the trigger, sear and mainspring while they worked the mag release, which is great. Wasn't thrilled paying $55 for the shipping, but if it gets my CCW up and running it's worth it for me.

1) Do I need to insure the pistol when I drop it off with FedEx? I was told to put in it's case, then the case in a plain box and affix the shipping label.
2) Do I have to declare the contents to FedEx?

First time shipping a gun, and I'm a little anxious about this process.  Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, process is complete, and here are the answers for anyone else that hasn't done the mail-it-in for warranty work two-step.

When Sig sends you the mailing label, they assume liability (i.e., their insurance covers the pistol).

The shipping label reads "SSI". FedEx doesn't ask, and wouldn't have any idea what's in the box.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input. I've never had to ship to a manufacturer for service, so glad it sounds relatively simple
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig covers it and yes you do need to declare it, they might not ask but it still needs to be done. most likely this means you will have to go to the hub to ship it out or a certain fedex shop. I did a zenith awhile ago and it had to go to the local hub to go out and had to be declared. That said certain other rules apply when it's a warranty item such as when shipped back it came to my house not to a FFL.

Here is good info
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/chris-dumm/tip-of-the-day-ship-carefully/amp/?client=safari
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig's directions were really clear - put it back in the original (plastic) gun case with factory mag, put that in an unmarked box and take it to the main FedEx facility in my area with the printed shipping label. I actually called Sig customer service back and asked about the insurance, they told me they covered it. No requirement to declare the contents...

Sig's return shipping is also via FedEx, has to be to your residence only, and requires an adult signature . No FFLs or business locations. They get real specific about how many attempts FedEx will make and how long they'll hold the property.

Edit: went back to double check the shipping directions and there is no mention of declaring the contents. Guy at the FedEx location didn't ask, and I didn't tell... In any event the transaction went well, it was delivered to Sig at 1330 yesterday afternoon.

Wow, did I misread one thing. I thought it said the turnaround for routine repairs and maintenance was three to four days. That's actually three to four WEEKS Great, looks like I'm carrying a two and a half pound VBOB on my hip for a month...
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand they didn't say to declare it. Zenith did not mention that either when I did mine. On my way out I did ask the manager just in case. He stated good thing you mention it as they had to change the label or else it would break federal law. According to them it must be declared. Zenith on the other side says if it's warranty work it is not an issue. I would stay on the side of caution. If you are questioning it call FedEx and ask. Ups states it does violate federal law as it changes how they handle the package and when I asked zenith they said it was fine, this is more interesting when you count in they had to negotiate a deal and clearly one is still on the wrong page.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I understand they didn't say to declare it. Zenith did not mention that either when I did mine. On my way out I did ask the manager just in case. He stated good thing you mention it as they had to change the label or else it would break federal law. According to them it must be declared. Zenith on the other side says if it's warranty work it is not an issue. I would stay on the side of caution. If you are questioning it call FedEx and ask. Ups states it does violate federal law as it changes how they handle the package and when I asked zenith they said it was fine, this is more interesting when you count in they had to negotiate a deal and clearly one is still on the wrong page.
View Quote

Huh, okay, that's interesting. You would think Sig would address that issue in their instructions, though, seeing as how they're the ones insuring the package.

Another take on this... wouldn't it be absolutely incumbent on the shipper to put up a "GUNS MUST BE DECLARED" sign in their place of business? As I understand it, should they get caught they can't claim ignorance of the content, as that isn't a defense since they agreed to ship the package. The handling thing would get tricky, also. Seems like it would drive pilferage way up, but maybe they use a signature chain-of-possession to thwart that.  

Off to search in GD... thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#7]
So this is the "official" rules per FedEx:
Requirements:
1. Either the shipper or recipient must be a licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and not prohibited from making such shipments by
6. The shipper & recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws as defined by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms.
Firearms cannot be shipped from you to yourself
Firearm Definition: A firearm is any weapon, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.
2. The shipper is a government agency shipping the firearm(s) for business purposes and not for personal use.
federal, state or local regulations. For FedEx International Ground® Canada and FedEx Home Delivery firearm shipments, call 1.800.633.7019 for details.
5. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
4. A FedEx Express box may be used for firearm shipments but only when using FedEx Priority Overnight or FedEx Express Freight services.
3. Firearms should be packaged in a sturdy outer box with sufficient cushioning material to protect the firearm and secure from movement.
7. The shipper must inform the FedEx employee accepting the shipment that the package contains a firearm.

That seems just plain loopy to me, but I don't run FedEx... Good info though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top