Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2017 10:34:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow definitely old video of his. Probably one of the ones when he started off. Other than weight he had nothing bad to say about it which it is a Sig and an older one and they just worked.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my P239. Much more shoot able than most other compact single stacks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I regret selling my P239. It had .40 and .357 barrels. I would have kept it if I knew a factory 9mm barrel worked at the time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I regret selling my P239. It had .40 and .357 barrels. I would have kept it if I knew a factory 9mm barrel worked at the time.
View Quote

What? Please tell me more. I looked at doing this for my 229 and didn't think it worked.  Never thought about my 239.  OMG this feels like Christmas I'm so excited. Does this really work and reliably?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I have nothing but love for p239

ETA:  Just received my new Milt Sparks IWB 2 mag carrier for my 239....gigidy!

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What? Please tell me more. I looked at doing this for my 229 and didn't think it worked.  Never thought about my 239.  OMG this feels like Christmas I'm so excited. Does this really work and reliably?
View Quote

229 .40 can not use a factory 9mm barrel.

From what I've found several people are using factory 9mm barrels in .40 P239.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yeah I shot about 40 rounds of 9mm through mine and it worked fine. I've been having problems with the slide not staying back on the last round but that's true with 357 sig too so it must be my grip
View Quote

I had the same problem when I first got my 239 9MM.  Your thumb is pressing up against the slide stop so it won't lock when the magazine goes empty.  It is a great shooting pistol, but just too big and heavy for the capacity.  Now that we are authorized to carry the Shield for off duty carry I haven't carried my 239, but I still can't get myself to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah I think it must be my fingers. I've noticed it with other pistols (but not Glocks) over the past year. I've just gotten sloppy with lack of practice.

I agree it is a gun that just seems too heavy and too low capacity. It seems like a very nice and well made pistol, but it's the size of a Glock 19. I bought a holster but it fits in one of my Glock 19 leather holsters. And even with the SAFE Act it's only an 8 round pistol in 357s. I have been carrying lately but have not invested in night sights and extra magazines for it.
View Quote
I have a lot of 10-round mags for it...which fit my big paws perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Good video, watched it awhile ago and wanted a P239 since.. Picked one up a few weeks ago from Recoil as a leo trade in, makes my third Sig purchase so far in 2017 . Just converted it from DAK to DA/SA today, its a nice shooter. I picked up a military issue owb holster made by Adirondak Leather for my P228 last year and the P239 fits great in it, conceals real well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Newbs, Colion included, tend to completely overlook the history aspect of the firearms themselves. The P239 is a product of the '94 ban and it was developed at a time when CCW was really beginning to grow here in the US. It's an ideal CCW gun when bracketed in that context. I've owned mine since '00 and now use it as a suppressor host or occasional carry gun.

During the ban, it was a much better choice for a carry gun than buying a mag-neutered G19. The 239 has a significantly smaller grip than the G19; saying it's the same size isn't quite accurate. If your hand size works with the P239, why try to conceal the larger grip of a G19 when you're gonna wind up stuffing a 10-round mag in it anyways? Lots of people bought 239s and then complained that the grip didn't feel good. They slapped on Hogue grips, which then made it roughly the size of the G19. That's an end user issue, not the gun's fault.

For me, single stack 9mm guns feel great and conceal extremely well. There were a lot of great guns from that era where we didn't place capacity as priority #1; the S&W 3913/14, HK P7 & M8, SIG P239, SIG 225/P6, Walther P5 all come to mind. I have found that all of these guns shoot extrmeley well in my hands. At the end of the day, I'm perfectly content carrying 9 rounds of 9mm if the gun has proven to be accurate and reliable, even with a DA first shot. There is something to be said for a gun that gels with the owner, and that is something that a double stack mag cannot detract from. Not that it needs any additional commendation, but the fact that the 239-9 found its way into NSW inventory is telling of the usefulness of the gun, capacity be damned.

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Newbs, Colion included, tend to completely overlook the history aspect of the firearms themselves. The P239 is a product of the '94 ban and it was developed at a time when CCW was really beginning to grow here in the US. It's an ideal CCW gun when bracketed in that context. I've owned mine since '00 and now use it as a suppressor host or occasional carry gun.

During the ban, it was a much better choice for a carry gun than buying a mag-neutered G19. The 239 has a significantly smaller grip than the G19; saying it's the same size isn't quite accurate. If your hand size works with the P239, why try to conceal the larger grip of a G19 when you're gonna wind up stuffing a 10-round mag in it anyways? Lots of people bought 239s and then complained that the grip didn't feel good. They slapped on Hogue grips, which then made it roughly the size of the G19. That's an end user issue, not the gun's fault.

For me, single stack 9mm guns feel great and conceal extremely well. There were a lot of great guns from that era where we didn't place capacity as priority #1; the S&W 3913/14, HK P7 & M8, SIG P239, SIG 225/P6, Walther P5 all come to mind. I have found that all of these guns shoot extrmeley well in my hands. At the end of the day, I'm perfectly content carrying 9 rounds of 9mm if the gun has proven to be accurate and reliable, even with a DA first shot. There is something to be said for a gun that gels with the owner, and that is something that a double stack mag cannot detract from. Not that it needs any additional commendation, but the fact that the 239-9 found its way into NSW inventory is telling of the usefulness of the gun, capacity be damned.

http://ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/swr-octane-sig239-1.jpg
View Quote

Well put. I didn't know the P239 was used by NSW.

The Beretta 92fs compact type M was another great single stack from that era.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://ricanhavocproductions.com/oldsite/images/swr-octane-sig239-1.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful piece!
Always liked the feel of them but never shot one. How well does it do suppressed compared to other pistols?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Beautiful piece!
Always liked the feel of them but never shot one. How well does it do suppressed compared to other pistols?
View Quote
Thanks! I only use a handful of hosts, so I can't give a fair comparison to a wide range of pistols. That said, it compares favorably to a G19 when suppressed. I prefer the Glock for suppressed shooting simply because doing a full, detailed cleaning afterwards is so much easier and faster.

One point I failed to mention is the shootability aspect. The 239 shoots more like a full sized gun than a compact, both in terms of recoil and the ease of achieving good accuracy out to 25 yards and beyond. Comparing it to a Shield, Kahr CM/PM, etc. is really apples and oranges. The P239 is a much more capable pistol when pushing things out past contact distances.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks! I only use a handful of hosts, so I can't give a fair comparison to a wide range of pistols. That said, it compares favorably to a G19 when suppressed. I prefer the Glock for suppressed shooting simply because doing a full, detailed cleaning afterwards is so much easier and faster.

One point I failed to mention is the shootability aspect. The 239 shoots more like a full sized gun than a compact, both in terms of recoil and the ease of achieving good accuracy out to 25 yards and beyond. Comparing it to a Shield, Kahr CM/PM, etc. is really apples and oranges. The P239 is a much more capable pistol when pushing things out past contact distances.
View Quote

That's cool, thanks for sharing. I look forward to shooting one some day
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#20]
funny, I have been on a P239 kick lately after passing on a very nice condition older gun with made in German frame.  It was $450 on consignment at LGS.  I probably would have failed to resist buying it but surprisingly someone bought it after only a few days on the shelf.

If it was $450 OTD, I would have gotten it.  But was hard to justify for many of the reasons mentioned.  However, there is just something about it.  Like my Beretta 84, I wanted one for ages, finally got one for a great price and love it for no valid reasons given what is available today.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#21]
wow I just finished scrolling through this thread, click over to the greenville  SC Armslist and right on top is a  P239 DAK for trade...  looks like a fun little gun, but I would need it in SA/DA..
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
wow I just finished scrolling through this thread, click over to the greenville  SC Armslist and right on top is a  P239 DAK for trade...  looks like a fun little gun, but I would need it in SA/DA..
View Quote

I bought my P239 in DAK because it was super cheap, ordered the parts to convert it to DA/SA after the first range session.. just not a fan. I didn't mind the weight of pull, it was the mile long pull and reset.. from what I've read you either love or hate it..
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bought my P239 in DAK because it was super cheap, ordered the parts to convert it to DA/SA after the first range session.. just not a fan. I didn't mind the weight of pull, it was the mile long pull and reset.. from what I've read you either love or hate it..
View Quote

Finding a gun I'd otherwise like in DAO (or DAK) is almost as disappointing as finding one in .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Is the P-239 still being produced or are used guns the only option?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Still sold
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I like my 239 for the same reason I love my 1911s, it feels great in the hand and shoots like a laser. Weight and capacity be damned.

Sigs +1 40S&W/.357 sig base plates work great on the 9mm mags so all of mine are 9 rounders, considering I am limited to 10 rounds, 9 ain't too bad and it adds only a fraction of an inch over the standard pinky base plate on the stock mags.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#29]
CDNN lowered the price on their P239 Tactical w/3 mags and threaded barrel..
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CDNN lowered the price on their P239 Tactical w/3 mags and threaded barrel..
View Quote
To bad I'm broke or I'd be all over that.

I saved up my money for 3 years to fund a pistol for my dad to teach me how to shoot semi-auto pistols with. We ended up with a p239 because that's what fit my hand best,  that was 14 years ago. The old guy has since gifted me the p239 and still love it one of my most accurate pistols. I will always have a soft spot for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top