Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2017 4:32:51 AM EDT
I picked up a gently used 226R-DAK and i want to replace the DAK trigger with a regular SA/DA trigger. I think I know all the parts i need and i do have the manuals and tooling; just wanted some feedback from anyone that has done it...

The Parts I need (AFAIK):

1) HAMMER - (have it)
2) HAMMER STRUT WITH SPRING AND BOTTOM TUBE - (in transit)
3) SEAR - (Don't have it)
4) DECOCKER LEVER WITH SPRING - (in transit)
5) DECOCKER BUSHING - (in transit)
6) TRIGGER BAR - (in transit)
7) SHORT TRIGGER - (not needed, but in transit)

Anything missing?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:11:51 AM EDT
[#1]
In for the results.

Don't you need new grip panels to clear the decocker?  The DAK grips extend up into the area occupied by the decocker.

I bought a DHS trade-in DAK ($400 and it looks unfired/uncarried); liked it so much I decided to get another one:  one to carry, one to train with.

Then I ran across a trade-in DA/SA; figured I couldn't go wrong for $440.

I don't really mind the DAK, but the SA part of the DA/SA is nice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:19:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for the results.

I bought a DHS trade-in DAK ($400 and it looks unfired/uncarried); liked it so much I decided to get another one:  one to carry, one to train with.

Then I ran across a trade-in DA/SA; figured I couldn't go wrong for $440.

I don't really mind the DAK, but the SA part of the DA/SA is nice.
View Quote

I traded for a new P229 9mm DAK.
I found I actually like the DAK trigger.
I have shot a lot of revolvers over the years and in competition so the DAK feels pretty good.
With just a little practice, I found the 25 yard plate rack to be a blast.

I once toyed with changing it to DA/SA but now I actually like it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
My original intent was to use the DAK for training/drills and carry the DA/SA; I figured always having the slightly heavier trigger pull (as opposed to only on the first shot) would be good training.

But, like you, I found the DAK isn't bad.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe you have all of the parts covered if you really do want to convert it. I picked up a like brand new P229 DAK in .40 thinking I'd do the same as I have been issued a P220 in standard SA/DA for going on 15 years now. After getting some time behind the trigger of my P229 DAK, I found that I actually fell in love with it exactly as it is. I may be the odd man out on this one, but I think the DAK trigger system is a winner. I plan to grab up another DAK, or two before all of the deals on them are a fading memory.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I converted a P239 SAS DAK to DA/SA several years back and was able to sell the take-off parts.

As to the parts you need, this is from Top Gun Supply FAQ:

Parts to convert from DAK to DA/SA

Decocking Lever
   Decocking Lever Spring
   Decocking Lever Bearing
   Hammer
   Hammer Strut Pin (except P239 which is integral)
   Hammer Reset Spring
   Hammer Strut
   Mainspring
   Safety Lever
   Sear
   Sear Spring
   Trigger Bar
   DA/SA Grips with Decocking Lever cutout
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I know your mind is probably made up, but if this is a legitimate carry piece and not just a range toy, then DAK offers a lot of advantages and I would consider keeping it. The consistent trigger pull and the fact that you can get it light and somewhat crisp is really nice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
You only need the DA/SA left grip panel. I think CDNN sells it cheap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:14:42 AM EDT
[#8]
My grips are SA/DA, so it works. I got the trigger bar and decoder lever and spring int he mil today, have a few more parts in transit, like the decoder bearing and the short trigger, still need the sear and sear bar, which i am thinking of going with the SRT package.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally got most of the parts in and put the pistol together; the only part missing is the sear; the gun functions like a DAK, but it has all the DA/SA parts in it; waiting on the sear in the mail.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay; I replaced every part in my pistol and still have an SAO pistol, 'kept now, it has a decocker and a regular hammer... I even installed a hammer reset spring, which the DAK never had, WTF am I missing?

Am I using the wrong sear? (2 dots)...

ETA - NVM; I figured it out; i am using a DAO only hammer, not the bobbed one, but a conventional hammer without the notch that catches on the searing the fully cocked position. I ordered a new one from Midwest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top