Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2016 2:31:34 AM EDT
I've always been a fan of single-stack Sig P-series pistols. I've got a P220R Carry that I really like. I'd love to pick up one of the old P6s to have a 9mm to go along with it. Unfortunately, when they were plentiful a few years ago I wasn't old enough to buy a handgun. Are there any of the P6s still around or will my best option be to get one of the new P225A1s at this point?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure, there are W. German P6's out there. Your best bet is to go on Gunbroker. Search "P6". There are several on their now.

I'd take a lightly used P6 over a P225A1 everyday. And twice on Sundays.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two in my safe....but that doesn't help you OP 

i kind of want to check out the the new 225A1 after the thread about them a few weeks ago. a few people said they didn't think the P225/P6 could be improved upon but apparently they did a good job. 
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a p6, did the springs swap to lighten the trigger some. Its a sig, so we know its good. But the well worn p6 seem to go for around 500 nowadays. When you can get a shield for 300 i just dont think a worn p6 is a good buy anymore.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Great guns.  I bought a trade in some years ago.  Shot it with Norells, changed out the hammer for a 225, and put in new springs.  Fun to shoot.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:34:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The P6 IMHO was THE buy of the id 2000s.  I need to refinish mine, but for a used, beat to hell exterior, the pistol was pristine inside.  It has jammed exactly once, and it was the fault of the dumbass running the reloading press (me).  I will tell you that the P6 is a gateway drug (pistol).  Since I acquired the P6, I have also acquired a P220, am ready to pull the trigger on a P226, and am looking for a P228.  Anybody want to buy a slightly (ok, really) used Glock 19?

KA
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, if you search Gunbroker, P6 "training" pistols are available cheap.  Like $150 cheap.  A new locking block and barrel are required, but still, you'd be in the pistol for $450 isn.  Armslist also has a few.

ka
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great guns.  I bought a trade in some years ago.  Shot it with Norells, changed out the hammer for a 225, and put in new springs.  Fun to shoot.  

http://i68.tinypic.com/33e0h1f.jpg
View Quote

Just got done re-doing my P6.  I fitted up a pair of Hogue G10s and MAN does it shoot soooo nice.

Too bad I tossed the stock sights ( no bar/dot....just plain steel ) because modern Sig Sights don't fit!!!  EEEEEK!  ( and no....the dovetails are fine...I used the Sig tool to remove the sights )

So...tonight's testing was using the force!
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahh, the sights are done!  Long story.....

Anyhow, converted to a P6/p225 hybrid.  I kept the military/police hammer spring but re-sprung everything else with 225 springs.  Added a P225 hammer to get rid of the notched P6, politically correct "Duetschespoleziehammer".  Yes, I made that word up!!!

This gun was SUPPOSED to be Sig Grey but KG sent me thin grey soup ( yes I should the bejeezus out of it to no avail ) instead of the nice dark grey I wanted.  I should have used cerakote for the frame and slide...but cerakote and Sig internals do NOT get along too well.

Anyhow, I went with PTFE KG black which was NOT soup.  I let the smooth coat flash just a bit and then I dusted it to give the gun my "grip texture" finish that looks like SHIT in photos but very nice in person...but most importantly....it is grippy as sin.

To finish it, some nice grey and black checkered G10 Hogues.  Had to actually fit these, they didn't drop in!  That is the first time I have had that happen with Hogue and a Sig.....oh well.  Consider it "custom".

So, here is my P6/P225 hybrid:

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I never should have sold mine. Bought it for $300 in great shape with box and two mags. Got rid of it because at the time I shot .40 and didn't want multiple calibers. Thought about getting another one but I can't believe how much the price has gone up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
[There are several on Gunbroker currently, though plan on paying in the upper $400-500 range. Magazines seem easily available, which is great. I would love to have one as well to add to the collection, although it doesn't seem that viable for a ccw gun. I believe the magazines over time were prone to having the feed lips spread apart enough to cause reliability issues. Also with the plethora of Tupperware guns around the same price point with a larger capacity it's difficult to justify carrying it. Doesn't mean I don't want one.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I love mine!  It carries really lightly!  Sadly, I have to replace the extractor as this one is worn out and I would rather have a new one than re-tension the old one. So, no carry for now.

Even WITH the extractor flopping around the gun ran 100 percent with everything but filthy, crappy Federal Champion from about 5 years ago.  God that stuff looks worse than some reloads I have seen.

The G10 grips really bring Sigs into their own.  I LOVE shooting this thing!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#12]
FINALLY GOT THE LIGHTING RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
With a new to me P6, vintage 1979 in its oem configuration where should I start breathing new life into it? I would like to change the oem sights to Siglites, though a few prior post mentioned that was not possible. Top Gun Supply doesn't seems to have parts kits available for the P225. Since this gun is destined to be a range gun, any draw backs to changing the main spring to a Wolf 19# to reduce the DA press of the trigger? Lastly, grips the G10 on the previous post pistol look fantastic, do they require a significant amount of modifying to get them to fit?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#14]
My local gun shop has had a P6 in the used case for sometime.  I threw around the idea of buying it myself but passed as it does not tickle my fancy in any way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
With a new to me P6, vintage 1979 in its oem configuration where should I start breathing new life into it? I would like to change the oem sights to Siglites, though a few prior post mentioned that was not possible. Top Gun Supply doesn't seems to have parts kits available for the P225. Since this gun is destined to be a range gun, any draw backs to changing the main spring to a Wolf 19# to reduce the DA press of the trigger? Lastly, grips the G10 on the previous post pistol look fantastic, do they require a significant amount of modifying to get them to fit?
Thanks
View Quote

Your mileage may vary but these required SUBSTANTIAL fitting.  If you have fit grips to guns before....then it's no more or less difficult but if you have never fit grips or gunstocks....I'd stick with factory.  These were a bitch.  Worth it...but a serious bitch to get right.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Well that's unfortunately not the answer I was expecting.  The current Houge G10 grips state that they only fit a P225 and not the P225-A1. Thus my fingers were crossed to just abit of alterations that needed to be done.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well that's unfortunately not the answer I was expecting.  The current Houge G10 grips state that they only fit a P225 and not the P225-A1. Thus my fingers were crossed to just abit of alterations that needed to be done.
Thanks.
View Quote

Hogue is supposed to be bringing out grips for the 225-A1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top